Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #5,342 of 19,009
Well, I got to swap out my Supra usb cable with a much more expensive one. Kept the volume the same, played the same track and swapped several times. If there was a difference it was very slight, maybe the Supra ever so slightly veiled, maybe it was in the head.
Anyways, would it be worth the extra £770. I guess that would be horses for courses.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #5,343 of 19,009
Well, I got to swap out my Supra usb cable with a much more expensive one. Kept the volume the same, played the same track and swapped several times. If there was a difference it was very slight, maybe the Supra ever so slightly veiled, maybe it was in the head.
Anyways, would it be worth the extra £770. I guess that would be horses for courses.

I think the purpose of quality USB cables is shielding to prevent RFI being generated in the copper. However the Hugo 2 and most likely TT2, are said by Rob Watts to have RFI filtering on the USB input. That has made me hesitant to even bother buying a tasty USB cable. I still filter my USB out from the PC though, with the Audioquest Jitterbug. I do so because PCs are supposed to be very noisy. I do not know how effective Rob's RFI filtering is; that's why. Or if Rob's filtering would treat everything coming from PC. It most likely does. I just don't know, so I leave it there. I's there already also, in case I use Mojo.

Does anyone know if there is RFI filtering on the coaxial inputs of Hugo 2 and TT2?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5,344 of 19,009
I think the purpose of quality USB cables is shielding to prevent RFI being generated in the copper. However the Hugo 2 and most likely TT2, are said by Rob Watts to have RFI filtering on the USB input. That has made me hesitant to even bother buying a tasty USB cable. I still filter my USB out from the PC though, with the Audioquest Jitterbug. I do so because PCs are supposed to be very noisy. I do not know how effective Rob's RFI filtering is; that's why. Or if Rob's filtering would treat everything coming from PC. It most likely does. I just don't know, so I leave it there. I's there already also, in case I use Mojo.

Does anyone know if there us RFI filtering on the coaxial inputs of Hugo 2 and TT2?

Can you not use optical?

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #5,345 of 19,009

If the supra is less bright (veiled in your words) then that would be my choice as being indicative of less RF noise for whatever reason. ie the Supra would be the better cable in my eyes.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #5,348 of 19,009
For those of you who tried TT2's preamp or preamp / amp function, can you please comment on the sound quality? Do you like it or do you prefer using TT2 with a separate preamp / amp combo?
I tried the TT2 directly into my Exposure 5010 power amps. It sounded good - better than other DACs I have tried this with, including the DAVE. There was a little more detail and tonal purity going direct. But I still prefer going through the preamp. It adds more body and dynamics, it just sounds more natural to me.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #5,349 of 19,009
I tried the TT2 directly into my Exposure 5010 power amps. It sounded good - better than other DACs I have tried this with, including the DAVE. There was a little more detail and tonal purity going direct. But I still prefer going through the preamp. It adds more body and dynamics, it just sounds more natural to me.
I presume the preamp in the chain is of a certain quality? What are you using ? Thanks

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #5,350 of 19,009

Does anyone know if there is RFI filtering on the coaxial inputs of Hugo 2 and TT2?

I tried chip ferrites in the ground of the coax but they couldn't be used as the data became corrupted. You can put ferrites in with USB ground because it's differential signalling, so you don't need ground directly to extract the data (but the DC value of data must be roughly midway between GND and VBUS). This is why for the M scaler it has to be isolated at the transmit side, so that ground is not connected directly.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #5,351 of 19,009
I presume the preamp in the chain is of a certain quality? What are you using ? Thanks
Currently an Exposure 5010, but I have also used a Tron Seven and EAR 912 with similar results.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #5,352 of 19,009
Hi,

By having pins 2 and 3 as equal and opposite versions of the same audio signal it creates the noise cancelling effect of balanced cables. They are called hot and cold (or often something similar) so they are not confused with the normal positive and negative and where the negative is usually the same as earth.

The thing to get your head around is that the three pins of the XLR are not intended for all of them to be used for audio all at the same time. Usually it is just pins 2 and 3 which are used to take advantage of the noise cancelling features of balanced cables. That leaves pin 1, (earth) which can be used as an extra screen and/or for electrically connecting the chassis of the equipment but which plays no part in the audio circuit .

True balanced signals on pins 2 and 3 do not have a voltage referenced to earth but are only relative to each other. In other words the voltages of pins 2 and 3 are floating relative to earth. This means that if you use pins 2 and 3 on the device where where the balanced signal voltage is floating you get a signal but if you used the floating voltage of pin 2 and earth there would be no sound (or a much reduced one).

However, in the TT2 the voltages of the pins 2 and 3 are not floating but are referenced to earth because of the way they are produced within the TT2 circuits. That means that pin 2 (or 3 but not both at the same time) can be used with pin 1 (earth) to get half voltage. This is often referred to as single ended or SE.

So for the XLR output from the TT2 for all practical purposes you can think of the pin voltages as being rather like this :-

Pin 1 0 (earth)
Pin 2 positive signal compared to earth
Pin 3 negative signal compared to earth

So using pin 2 and 3 gives double signal output, pin 1 and 2 gives single signal output, as does pin 1 and 3.

That is a simplified version and probably muddies the water even more but even if it does confuse rather than help, just remember for the higher output use pins 2 and 3 and do not connect pin 1 to anything, and for the lower output voltage use pin 1 and 2.

I saw a post asking why would anyone ever want to use the lower voltage and the answer is that it uses a simpler circuit in the TT2 and so should be slightly more transparent. Also some very efficient speakers night be too loud with the higher output. And if the volume is adequate then using the lower output also removes the temptation of driving the TT2 too hard with the slight risk of it getting too hot. Remember alcohol impairs judgement and we have all turned the amplifier wick up a bit too far in our youth and paid the price, usually resulting in magic smoke coming from the amplifier. Luckily the TT2 is more sophisticated and has over heat sensing circuits but it is still not worth trying.

Clear as mud?
Thanks for the detailed explanation. One thing more , is there any harm in connecting pin 1 shield to shield at both end ? If the amp has only XLR inputs then what will be the benefits of using fully balance connection into amp vs slightly higher transparency of se output of tt2 ? ie how much more transparent is se ?

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #5,353 of 19,009
Anybody using tt2 with benchmark ahb2 ? SE or XLR ? Since benchmark has only XLR so using XLR of tt2 seems to be logical ? HMS is already 3db below so XLR of tt2 even with low gain should be sufficient with ahb2.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #5,354 of 19,009
I went looking at the hdv 820 again and I like the fact that it's got xlr 4 pin and pentaconn outputs, but other than that, I doubt I would buy it or get rid of tt2 or mscaler and replace them with it. If I was loaded I might, but I'm poor :frowning2:

It would be good to hear, but I don't have shops that I can test stuff in.

I will probably buy lcd 3's, unless I can think of something better.
I have the TT2, HDV820 and the HD800S. After buying the Meze Empyreans, the HD800S and the HDV820 are no longer wanted or needed. I am super impressed and am thinking about the Rogue Audio RH-5 and the Hugo M Scaler.

You said you are thinking about the LCD 3's, think about the Meze Empyreans if you want a change.

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #5,355 of 19,009
my question to rob. someone in this group suggested to leave pin 1 unconnected while XLR balance connection from tt2 to compatible amp. what do you suggest ? was the suggestion for speakers or amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back