Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #4,231 of 18,905
The black tt2's are heavier ever so slightly due to the black coating not found on the silver units. Surely the delay in black units reaching the states is so obvious i'm surprised no one has caught on. If you imagine 2000 black tt2's stacked in the cargo hold of a North Atlantic freighter ship just imagine all the extra weight from all that black coating paint weighing down the cargo hold and slowing down those ships designated tt2 black. Meanwhile the tt2 silver designated ships left Greenland behind last christmas. I do wonder.:cruise_ship::cruise_ship::cruise_ship:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #4,232 of 18,905
I'm still waiting... Black on order.

Yeah, I think they are getting fewer than expected. I finally called my vendor today and got someone that wasn’t super up to date on the status, but it didn’t sound like they got the three black ones they were expecting in the first batch. They said the current lead time is a month and a half but no status on mine, specifically—“maybe mid February“—not very useful data, nice guy though.

Will have to grab another mojo or a dragonfly the weekend I get back from holiday, if I don’t get an update on my repair (mojo) or tt2 shipment. Just so I have something for digital listening that isn’t terrible.

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #4,233 of 18,905
Some guys were doing A/B testing of the black dragonfly vs the black dave/blu 2. I can't remember which thread it was but it didn't take them long to conclude that the chord combo sounded better.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #4,234 of 18,905
However, its not black :)
Interesting story... when I was getting ready to pre-order mine in December, I spoke to Drew at Moon Audio. I told him I was on the fence on color, and asked which color might be easier to get quickly. He said that Chord had some manufacturing delays with the black coating on the TT2, and that I'd have a better shot at getting silver on the first wave to the US (but no guarantees). So I pre-ordered a silver TT2. Long story short, I got mine from the first wave. Others who ordered black seem to have not gotten theirs on the first wave. I'm very happy with the silver. It fits in well in my Apple ecosystem in my home office.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #4,236 of 18,905
I've been listening to my TT2 for a couple of hours now. Totally blown away. Some observations... I listen to a lot of jazz. The TT2, just as Rob Watts reported, adds so much clarity to the bass (upright bass is currently playing). He talked about better transient response helping with the "attack"/pluck on a bass. It allows you to better hear the notes being played, instead of the rumble/boominess you get from other DACs. On the bass solo playing now, I can hear every note distinctly. I think a lot of people confuse what they are hearing for a lack of bass in the TT2. It's there, it's just a lot more detailed and clean. Earlier, an observation I thought I had made was that John Coltrane was in my room! The sax sounded live, I swear! Another stand-out observation is female vocals. I listened to some Joni Mitchell and Diana Krall. Clean, clear, thick, silky,... sorry, hard to describe well. Now listening to a hi-res selection. Jazz at the Pawnshop, recorded at DSD 128 from the analog master. It's a very popular audiophile album. One of the main instruments are the vibes, which is another percussion mallet instrument that is very challenging on a system. The TT2 does an amazing job! Clean, accurate. Sorry for the random comments, but I want to relay my experience with the TT2. I can't seem to wipe this smile off of my face! Isn't this what it's all about !?!?

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #4,237 of 18,905
I've been listening to my TT2 for a couple of hours now. Totally blown away. Some observations... I listen to a lot of jazz. The TT2, just as Rob Watts reported, adds so much clarity to the bass (upright bass is currently playing). He talked about better transient response helping with the "attack"/pluck on a bass. It allows you to better hear the notes being played, instead of the rumble/boominess you get from other DACs. On the bass solo playing now, I can hear every note distinctly. I think a lot of people confuse what they are hearing for a lack of bass in the TT2. It's there, it's just a lot more detailed and clean. Earlier, an observation I thought I had made was that John Coltrane was in my room! The sax sounded live, I swear! Another stand-out observation is female vocals. I listened to some Joni Mitchell and Diana Krall. Clean, clear, thick, silky,... sorry, hard to describe well. Now listening to a hi-res selection. Jazz at the Pawnshop, recorded at DSD 128 from the analog master. It's a very popular audiophile album. One of the main instruments are the vibes, which is another percussion mallet instrument that is very challenging on a system. The TT2 does an amazing job! Clean, accurate. Sorry for the random comments, but I want to relay my experience with the TT2. I can't seem to wipe this smile off of my face! Isn't this what it's all about !?!?

Are these observation without an mScaler? Just want to make sure since I am not expecting that purchase until summer. But at the rate this is going I may need to order now for a summer delivery...

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #4,238 of 18,905
Are these observation without an mScaler? Just want to make sure since I am not expecting that purchase until summer. But at the rate this is going I may need to order now for a summer delivery...
Correct. No Scaler (yet). I'm enjoying the TT2 so much now, I'm going to wait a few weeks on the Scaler. The TT2 is so much better than my Oppo Sonica DAC, I'm not sure I can take any more greatness right now! :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #4,239 of 18,905
As an aside does anyone have a FiiO DAP and can it feed a bit perfect signal into the TT 2? I am thinking about picking one up to use as my source for travel instead of my phone. Have Pelican case TT 2 will travel!

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #4,240 of 18,905
Question on the TT2: When plugging in headphones, do the other outputs (like RCA preamp outs) automatically turn off? And then do they turn back on when unplugging headphones?

EDIT- I found the manual online, looks like the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #4,241 of 18,905
U
Question on the TT2: When plugging in headphones, do the other outputs (like RCA preamp outs) automatically turn off? And then do they turn back on when unplugging headphones?

EDIT- I found the manual online, looks like the answer is yes.
yes to both .
Make sure your stereo is down between switching . I made that mistake . It does seem to reset the volume for the headphone out so that’s cool .

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #4,242 of 18,905
It's really nice to hear what @ray-dude and yourselt are saying about the TT2. There has been a drought of opinion. Therefor from me, thank you for sharing.

Nice also to hear Hugo 2 - TT2 impressions. I imagine many H2 users are keen to hear what folk think of the TT2. I am.

You’re very welcome. Ask away if you have any questions on the comparison between H2, TT2, and DAVE. I was thinking the same thing, like where’s the reviews and impressions? I happened to be up in LA last Saturday at a baby shower down the street from The Source AV and one of their guys that helped me get my WA33 recently emailed me prior-to that they’d have a TT2 and HMS to demo for the Mr. Speakers event that same day. So I packed up my traveler LCD-Xs, which I know inside and out tonally, and H2 for a little A/B vs TT2 to give you guys some perspective. I did catch a little flack from the Mr. Speakers guys(after they had a couple japanese whiskeys brought in for the event) for demoing with Audezes, but it was all in good fun, and tbh their new Ether 2 is outrageously good and owns my Xs in micro-detail retrieval(not my LCD-4s though he he..). TT2 is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Natural analog tonality, but with micro-detail for days and a confident presentation. With H2 and DAVE I’d be nervous to discover new music, which is what I do a LOT with my rig, for fear of those dacs coming off either too technical/thin(DAVE) or slightly uncontrolled(Hugo 2). With TT2 I felt like I could relax and it’ll take care of the music the way I like to hear it every time. That’s a purchase I have no problem with :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #4,243 of 18,905
for fear of those dacs coming off either too technical/thin(DAVE) or slightly uncontrolled(Hugo 2). With TT2 I felt like I could relax and it’ll take care of the music the way I like to hear it every time. That’s a purchase I have no problem with :)

DAVE too technical and thin? DAVE sounds anything but thin to me. Hugo2 uncontrolled? Not what I hear. We have very different perspectives, but still thanks for the comparison with the TT2 which must have a very inviting tonality. I really want to get my ears on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back