Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #12,301 of 18,991
If that is what you hear don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I happen to agree with you that the unit takes a pretty substantial step up with a high quality headphone amp. When I reported the same findings I was mocked on this thread. Since then I have received 7 PMs from people who feel the same way but don’t want to post here because they don’t like being shouted down by the “distortion” crowd. In my opinion the headphone amp in the TT2 is only average and not up to the level of the DAC section.
If I was going to use an amp with the TT2, it would be something with tubes and color. That would make a lot more sense to me given my experience with it. I would then be able to use the TT2 for that clean solid state sound and the tube amp for something different.

It doesn't make sense to add something like a monoprice THX amp in front of the TT2. Why would you add power to something already more than powerful enough and then just end up attenuating the source signal? Surely you are hearing less of what the TT2 is putting out in that case. If you enjoy that, more power to you, but it's not wrong to advise against it.

If you're going to use an amp with the TT2 and use the amp's volume control, you might be better off getting a MScaler+Qutest, that would make more sense to me.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #12,302 of 18,991
I run both from the balanced outs (I created a 4-pin XLR adapter for the TT2), but I'm going to try the SE jack again with the Abyss given the recent reports of it being better after volume matching. I admit I never focus on volume matching, so might have been incorrectly assumed the balanced sounded better with them.

Forgive a silly question, but you are saying you have an adapter that connects your headphones to the back of the TT2 via XLR? You then use the TT2 in AMP mode, correct? Are these adapters available commercially or is it more of a homemade workaround? So, to clarify it is like a Y-Connector with 4-Pin XLR to a L and R XLR?

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #12,303 of 18,991
If I was going to use an amp with the TT2, it would be something with tubes and color. That would make a lot more sense to me given my experience with it. I would then be able to use the TT2 for that clean solid state sound and the tube amp for something different.
I agree. There are benefits to both depending on the headphones and the impedance of those headphones. Because of the low impedance of the internal amp, the TT2 is not always going to be the best choice with all headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #12,304 of 18,991
Forgive a silly question, but you are saying you have an adapter that connects your headphones to the back of the TT2 via XLR? You then use the TT2 in AMP mode, correct? Are these adapters available commercially or is it more of a homemade workaround? So, to clarify it is like a Y-Connector with 4-Pin XLR to a L and R XLR?
That's exactly right, it's an adapter I made myself, but you can get anyone to build you one that makes cables. That way any 4 pin balanced headphone cable works easily with it.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #12,305 of 18,991
I agree. There are benefits to both depending on the headphones and the impedance of those headphones. Because of the low impedance of the internal amp, the TT2 is not always going to be the best choice with all headphones.
That’s been my strategy too, as I mostly have 300ohm ZMFs and Sennheisers. While they all sound great directly, I like them even more on the Pro iCAN solid state mode, so I will probably hold onto it for that reason, and move up to a better tube amp eventually, like the Pendant or the Glenn OTL I ordered long ago.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #12,306 of 18,991
If you're going to use an amp with the TT2 and use the amp's volume control, you might be better off getting a MScaler+Qutest, that would make more sense to me.

See...this is where I struggle. I have been A/Bing the Qutest vs the TT2 into the external amp all week and I see pretty big differences in soundstage, instrument separation, and dynamics. Are you saying that Qutest + M Scaler > TT2 without the M Scaler? It seems surprising that the M Scaler would improve the Qutest enough to supersede the TT2 because I certainly think the TT2 is the far superior DAC.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #12,307 of 18,991
That’s been my strategy too, as I mostly have 300ohm ZMFs and Sennheisers. While they all sound great directly, I like them even more on the Pro iCAN solid state mode, so I will probably hold onto it for that reason, and move up to a better tube amp eventually, like the Pendant or the Glenn OTL I ordered long ago.
Queue the "distortion trolls" :)

It's totally fine to use the TT2 however you prefer. One of the best things about it is how versatile it is, it can fit in almost any setup.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #12,308 of 18,991
See...this is where I struggle. I have been A/Bing the Qutest vs the TT2 into the external amp all week and I see pretty big differences in soundstage, instrument separation, and dynamics. Are you saying that Qutest + M Scaler > TT2 without the M Scaler? It seems surprising that the M Scaler would improve the Qutest enough to supersede the TT2 because I certainly think the TT2 is the far superior DAC.
If you're going to use an external amp with it's own volume control, I have no doubt that Qutest + MScaler will be a better option for you than just the TT2 without the MScaler. This largely depends on you using a quality amp with it though. If you're going to go the route of direct drive and not use an external amp, then TT2 makes more sense. And, I might be biased, but TT2+MScaler is simply heaven. I haven't tried a DAVE yet though, so I don't know how many notches that takes it up.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #12,309 of 18,991
If you're going to use an external amp with it's own volume control, I have no doubt that Qutest + MScaler will be a better option for you than just the TT2 without the MScaler. This largely depends on you using a quality amp with it though. If you're going to go the route of direct drive and not use an external amp, then TT2 makes more sense. And, I might be biased, but TT2+MScaler is simply heaven. I haven't tried a DAVE yet though, so I don't know how many notches that takes it up.
I think most reviewers who have compared the two state pretty clearly that the Qutest plus M scaler has superior sound quality to the TT2 as a standalone unit. I thought I would be content with a TT2 as a standalone unit and maybe order the M scaler next year. I lasted three days before I ordered the M scaler 😂 I have found the TT2 sounds markedly better through my Eddie Current Zana Deux OTL tube amp with both my ZMF vérité (300ohm) and focal Utopia (80ohm) headphones. My nighthawk (25ohm) and Verum one (8ohm) sound better direct out of the TT2. Depending on your headphones your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #12,310 of 18,991
I think most reviewers who have compared the two state pretty clearly that the Qutest plus M scaler has superior sound quality to the TT2 as a standalone unit. I thought I would be content with a TT2 as a standalone unit and maybe order the M scaler next year. I lasted three days before I ordered the M scaler 😂 I have found the TT2 sounds markedly better through my Eddie Current Zana Deux OTL tube amp with both my ZMF vérité (300ohm) and focal Utopia (80ohm) headphones. My nighthawk (25ohm) and Verum one (8ohm) sound better direct out of the TT2. Depending on your headphones your mileage may vary...

I did see that Qutest + M Scaler was preferred by the Passion for Sound review on YouTube. Are other reviewers also agreeing with that analysis?

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #12,311 of 18,991
I know it's taboo here but you guys can try hqplayer SINC M for 2 million taps if you're computer is strong for the task.
Is a good view of what upsampling can do. The focus and insight further on your music is insane. A real mscaler likely can't be beat, but hqplayer plus tt2 is significantly better that tt2 alone.
Hqplayer does have a learning curve and you need a powerful computer to make it happen.
Anyways,i better shut up about hqplayer around here or i might get mugged

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #12,312 of 18,991
How often or in what form is it clicking? Only in the beginnig,..only in dac mode? If suffling through audio files is it still present?

It clicked about half a dozen times, then powered off. I turned it back on our click a few times again went into AMP mode then click maybe two or three times then it stopped. I will update when I use it again.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #12,313 of 18,991
That's exactly right, it's an adapter I made myself, but you can get anyone to build you one that makes cables. That way any 4 pin balanced headphone cable works easily with it.
I’m lazy so I ordered mine from Moon Audio (silver dragon, 1.5 feet) but making your own is less expensive. I recall my configuration was $180 from Moon.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #12,314 of 18,991
I’m lazy so I ordered mine from Moon Audio (silver dragon, 1.5 feet) but making your own is less expensive. I recall my configuration was $180 from Moon.
I had a Dana Lazuli cable that had fallen apart so I repurposed that cable to make my adapter. A little overkill, but hey, nothing but the best between my head and the TT2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back