Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 14, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #211 of 18,905
I don't know. Currently 4,000 UK pounds is $5427.41 US dollars.

Yes $5427 is the portion of USA retail price attributed to currency exchange rate alone.

However, distribution agreements with Chord UK prohibit selling direct to dealers in USA.

In USA the distributor for Chord has been/is 'Bluebird Music' who adds another 20% or more (Qutest price markup history) - please see the thread for Chord Qutest DAC: post #424 on page 29 by 'Music Alchemist', and 'JWahl' post #421, on page 29; and see another relevant JWahl post on page 31. I think that it has been a similar US distributor markup story for Dave.

I think customers buying a new Chord Hugo TT 2 DAC from US dealers will be lucky to see a retail price as low as $6000 (approximate).

May 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #212 of 18,905
lets just wait to tell chord what they are charging in north america before they do.

May 14, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #213 of 18,905
Yes $5427 is the portion of USA retail price attributed to currency exchange rate alone.

However, distribution agreements with Chord UK prohibit selling direct to dealers in USA.

In USA the distributor for Chord has been/is 'Bluebird Music' who adds another 20% or more (Qutest price markup history) - please see the thread for Chord Qutest DAC: post #424 on page 29 by 'Music Alchemist', and 'JWahl' post #421, on page 29; and see another relevant JWahl post on page 31. I think that it has been a similar US distributor markup story for Dave.

I think customers buying a new Chord Hugo TT 2 DAC from US dealers will be lucky to see a retail price as low as $6000 (approximate).

lets just wait to tell chord what they are charging in north america before they do.

Yeah, some UK companies standardize on the price so it's exactly the same in the UK and USA. I know the price of Chord products actually went down in the USA a bit over a year ago due to factors such as currency adjustments, etc.

May 14, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #214 of 18,905
Good question.
As far as HUGO 1 goes I have had mine up for sale about one year now at one site without even one single buyer showing any interest in it whatsoever!
On the other hand I managed to sell a Hegel HD25 DAC a couple of years ago for roughly 60% of what paid for it.
On the site where I have put my HUGO 1 up for sale there is occasional interest from buyers in Benchmark's DAC 2 which I still own and hope to be able to sell a roughly 50-60% of the original retail price.
But for older Chord products like HUGO there seems to be very little resale value when new products are released.
Amps and speakers and headphones seem to have a MUCH longer "shelf life" and higher second hand value than Chord's Dacs do.
Looking on the bright side of life, there are lots of VERY GOOD indeed bargain priced products in the second hand market if you know what to look for.
Both my speakers and amp combo each retailed at 8-10k USD new but I got them for less than 40 percent of orginal retail.
Good as my electrostatic speakers still are, I am a bit tempted to audition and maybe buy a pair of ML 15As for less than half of retail price this summer if they turn out to clearly outperform my current MLs.

PS I'll check local prices of TT2 here in Singapore today.
Even unheard it seems to do some things I have missed even with DAVE/BLU2 ie enough current/power for all those fff-ffff crescendo transient peaks in large scale classical symphonic and operatic no dynamic range limiting master files that DAVE BLU2 did not quite cope with without a separate headphone amp during my auditions of Susvara and DAVE/BLU2 . And twice as many taps as Qutest would most likely dig even deeper into low level acoustic cues and instrumental timbre than Qutest.
With TT2 Susvaras direct could actually be an option for me. It would work as a one unit transportable powerful headphone amp/DAC combo. But I can't find any information regarding its weight?
Tempting yes. But why,oh why doesn't it have an M-scaler onboard?
That would have made it both truly groundbreaking and a very desirable product indeed IMHO!

Cheers Christer

Yea, I would of loved an mscaler addon for hugo2, hell I would of been happy with just 2go.

It’s so difficult what to decide on, on one hand I have a possible buyer for all my chord kit when he gets home at the end of this week, but on the other hand, do I just sell mojo/poly and keep hugo2 for 2go???

A streamer addon is what I really want, but I dont want to wait until next year for it. If I had to wait that long I would probably be better off buying hugo2tt as I only use h2 statically as it is, so a dedicated desktop dac would be better for me and is what I should of bought to start with, but, I do want the streaming capabilities that 2go would bring to tha party.

I remember when I bought my H2, I asked the store that I was buying from, how much of a trade in (as they do trade in’s ) for a brand new mojo/poly and case’s would you give me and the person replied, “what we would offer you for that wouldn’t be worth it”, basically saying we wont accept those for a trade in.

I didn’t mind, but it gave me an idea of how hard it would be to sell/trade in H2.

It would still be good to find the warehouse with unsold old stock of chord’s and other’s, old products as I am sure if sold cheaply enough people would buy them, recycling them just seems wrong to me.

May 14, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #215 of 18,905
Yea, I would of loved an mscaler addon for hugo2, hell I would of been happy with just 2go.

It’s so difficult what to decide on, on one hand I have a possible buyer for all my chord kit when he gets home at the end of this week, but on the other hand, do I just sell mojo/poly and keep hugo2 for 2go???

A streamer addon is what I really want, but I dont want to wait until next year for it. If I had to wait that long I would probably be better off buying hugo2tt as I only use h2 statically as it is, so a dedicated desktop dac would be better for me and is what I should of bought to start with, but, I do want the streaming capabilities that 2go would bring to tha party.

I remember when I bought my H2, I asked the store that I was buying from, how much of a trade in (as they do trade in’s ) for a brand new mojo/poly and case’s would you give me and the person replied, “what we would offer you for that wouldn’t be worth it”, basically saying we wont accept those for a trade in.

I didn’t mind, but it gave me an idea of how hard it would be to sell/trade in H2.

It would still be good to find the warehouse with unsold old stock of chord’s and other’s, old products as I am sure if sold cheaply enough people would buy them, recycling them just seems wrong to me.

Superseded Chord items are normally heavily discounted by dealers as soon as the new model is launched.

Unfortunately any second hand item is not going to get a great trade in and I mostly find it is better to sell on eBay and then haggle for a cash discount with the dealer. Where I have traded in, the usual motto of half retail price has always been the dealers starting point unless it is a recent and current model in which case you might get a bit more. It's the same as cars, as soon as they leave the showroom a big slice of resale value gets wiped off immediately. However, it ought to be easy to trade or sell an H2 anytime before an H3 but don't expect to get a huge amount more than half.

May 14, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #216 of 18,905
Yeah, some UK companies standardize on the price so it's exactly the same in the UK and USA. I know the price of Chord products actually went down in the USA a bit over a year ago due to factors such as currency adjustments, etc.
The Hugo 2 was around $2300 plus, then the price went up to $2695. It went the other way around in the USA.

May 14, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #217 of 18,905
Superseded Chord items are normally heavily discounted by dealers as soon as the new model is launched.

Unfortunately any second hand item is not going to get a great trade in and I mostly find it is better to sell on eBay and then haggle for a cash discount with the dealer. Where I have traded in, the usual motto of half retail price has always been the dealers starting point unless it is a recent and current model in which case you might get a bit more. It's the same as cars, as soon as they leave the showroom a big slice of resale value gets wiped off immediately. However, it ought to be easy to trade or sell an H2 anytime before an H3 but don't expect to get a huge amount more than half.

Yea, I wasn’t worried about it, I just thought a trade in might offset some of the cost for hugo2.

My retailer sells their old but still new stock and also trade in’s/second hand item’s on ebay. I didn’t realise that until just a couple of months ago, not sure if they sell chords products on ebay ? I never saw any but I wasn’t specifically looking for them.

I would love to get my hands on a H2TT, I was going to buy the first one but decided to get H2 instead, I just wish I had waited til now to buy as I would of put it off until h2tt was in stores.

To be brutally honest, I love the sound of chord dac’s, when I first got mojo, that was my first taste of chords magic, I loved the sound and from the day that I heard about a possible Poly addon, I was hooked.

I will admit Poly didn’t get off to a great start and I and a huge number of others moaned about it and dumb thing’s were said by all, me included and which I regret, but I could see that if Chord could get it working as they intended, it would be a Dap killer.

The capabilities of the mojo/poly combo is astounding, for £900 its a bargain and I mean that, it can be used as a mobile solution on its own, just mojo, it can also be used as part of a static setup and with poly, it just brings a new dimension to it.

I fully expect Poly to mature into the Dap killer that Chord had envisioned at the very beginning of Poly’s life.

If they can get 2go out for Hugo2, although not as mobile as mojo/poly, it would make H2/2go a true game changer. I seriously mean that. All that capabilities in one package, it would take some beating, it really would and I am not aware of any product that is out there that could come close to it.

I was forced to retire at the age of 41 due to an accident and at the same time also being diagnosed with some rampaging autoimmune disease and which the treatment is worse than the disease.

I am now 43 and I spend alot/most of my time confined to either the hospital or home and I use my mojo/poly nearly everyday because of its mobility, I would be lost without it. On my bad days I use hugo2 as it’s next to my bed along with my server in the spare bedroom.

If it wasn’t for music and Chord’s dac’s giving me a new musical experience/appreaciation of digital music and helping to whittle away the hours of boredom and pain, I, well, I just really dont know.

There are times where the quality of mojo, let alone hugo2, astounds me and where I am able to pick up details that just were not heard before.

If Hugo2TT is much better than H2 sonically, I can’t wait for it to be released, same for 2go and then possibly use h2/2go as replacement for M/P ?

As I am writing this I am listening to “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd on H2. I just cannot put it in to words just how good it sounds. I cannot imagine how it can possibly sound any better ?

I would love to demo chords high end products, but the nearest store that sells chord products is hundreds of miles away from where I am. I have been told over the phone that once people hear Dave their is no going back.

Owning a Dave or it’s successor is on my bucket list, or at the very least a 30 minute demo.

May 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #218 of 18,905
Yea, I wasn’t worried about it, I just thought a trade in might offset some of the cost for hugo2.

My retailer sells their old but still new stock and also trade in’s/second hand item’s on ebay. I didn’t realise that until just a couple of months ago, not sure if they sell chords products on ebay ? I never saw any but I wasn’t specifically looking for them.

I would love to get my hands on a H2TT, I was going to buy the first one but decided to get H2 instead, I just wish I had waited til now to buy as I would of put it off until h2tt was in stores.

To be brutally honest, I love the sound of chord dac’s, when I first got mojo, that was my first taste of chords magic, I loved the sound and from the day that I heard about a possible Poly addon, I was hooked.

I will admit Poly didn’t get off to a great start and I and a huge number of others moaned about it and dumb thing’s were said by all, me included and which I regret, but I could see that if Chord could get it working as they intended, it would be a Dap killer.

The capabilities of the mojo/poly combo is astounding, for £900 its a bargain and I mean that, it can be used as a mobile solution on its own, just mojo, it can also be used as part of a static setup and with poly, it just brings a new dimension to it.

I fully expect Poly to mature into the Dap killer that Chord had envisioned at the very beginning of Poly’s life.

If they can get 2go out for Hugo2, although not as mobile as mojo/poly, it would make H2/2go a true game changer. I seriously mean that. All that capabilities in one package, it would take some beating, it really would and I am not aware of any product that is out there that could come close to it.

I was forced to retire at the age of 41 due to an accident and at the same time also being diagnosed with some rampaging autoimmune disease and which the treatment is worse than the disease.

I am now 43 and I spend alot/most of my time confined to either the hospital or home and I use my mojo/poly nearly everyday because of its mobility, I would be lost without it. On my bad days I use hugo2 as it’s next to my bed along with my server in the spare bedroom.

If it wasn’t for music and Chord’s dac’s giving me a new musical experience/appreaciation of digital music and helping to whittle away the hours of boredom and pain, I, well, I just really dont know.

There are times where the quality of mojo, let alone hugo2, astounds me and where I am able to pick up details that just were not heard before.

If Hugo2TT is much better than H2 sonically, I can’t wait for it to be released, same for 2go and then possibly use h2/2go as replacement for M/P ?

As I am writing this I am listening to “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd on H2. I just cannot put it in to words just how good it sounds. I cannot imagine how it can possibly sound any better ?

I would love to demo chords high end products, but the nearest store that sells chord products is hundreds of miles away from where I am. I have been told over the phone that once people hear Dave their is no going back.

Owning a Dave or it’s successor is on my bucket list, or at the very least a 30 minute demo.

It sounds as if you have more to put up with in life than most of us. Health is vastly underestimated by those who have it and only realise what they had when it is gone or reduced.

But I know what you mean about the joy of listening to music through any of the Chord DACs. I was bitten when I first heard the original Hugo. And it is a one way street, once heard it is difficult to go back. Dave is fantastic and a second hand one is not a ridiculous amount more than the price of the newly announced TT2. Of course TT2 has more power output for difficult loads but I use an amp for speakers anyway so that is no advantage to me.

I have dealt with my chord dealer for a few years now and he is happy to ship me demo items for home demo. That is one good reason to stick with one dealer rather than just internet shopping for the lowest possible deal.

Anyway, enough, it is food time here and that is even more important than music.

May 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #219 of 18,905
Yea, health is taken for granted, we only realise that when it all goes south.

Schiit happens, just wish it happened to someone else :)

Anyway, my dealer is a good one, I must admit that I do like them and will continue to use them.

I have never asked them to ship me a dave or anything else to demo, not sure they would do that ? possibly if they put a hold on my credit card for the guts of 9 grand, but I am not keen to do that incase something happens and I am left liable for 9k and left with a broken dave.

I have never heard any other chord dacs except the ones I have, but I would like to own atleast a H2TT, just to see how it compares to H2 as people said that there was a pretty big gap between the original hugo and hugott, so I would like to atleast have a listen and judge for myself.

I did see a kinda cheapish second hand dave, it must of been dropped or been used in afghanistan for target practise as it had deep gouges and chunks of the case work missing or just very badly deformed ? It could of probably been replaced at cost if chord do case work repairs/replacements, but if that was the outside, what was the inside like ? So I decided to give that a miss.

Think it was still priced at £6-7 grand, not exactly what I would call cheap, I wonder who bought it if anyone and if they managed to get a new case for it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 14, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #220 of 18,905

I really hope you get your DAVE, one day. Forgot how good I have it, these days.

May 14, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #221 of 18,905
I really hope you get your DAVE, one day. Forgot how good I have it, these days.

Lol, I wish.

It feels weird when I think to myself, “One day I will hook up with Dave” :|

If in the future one of the stores in my city ever become an official Chord retailer, I will do my best to check one out if possible. I am kinda surprised that their is not one already. I suppose it doesn’t really matter nowadays since everything can be more or less bought online.

May 14, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #222 of 18,905
Lol, I wish.

It feels weird when I think to myself, “One day I will hook up with Dave” :|

If in the future one of the stores in my city ever become an official Chord retailer, I will do my best to check one out if possible. I am kinda surprised that their is not one already. I suppose it doesn’t really matter nowadays since everything can be more or less bought online.
When buying my H2, my dealer had a personal DAVE and Blu2. I don't think he was permitted to sell those models, but he bought them for homeuse. Unfortunately, they weren't connected, as he'd loaned them to someone. I got to hold a DAVE, but not quite to hear it. I'm counting on giving it a listen when he sells me a 2go. Maybe you'll get lucky one day too.

May 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #223 of 18,905
Do listening tests indicate a preference for usb or optical for headphone listening? Or is it too early yet to tell?

Quick point does anyone know under which conditions you would use both optical inputs simultaneously?

May 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #224 of 18,905
depends on delivery for me its usb all the way...

May 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #225 of 18,905
With antipodes excellence no doubt or any other reason for usb?

Could you explain the DX outputs. Is that a digitally processed signal out to be used with the new pulse array digital amp or even dave. This digital amp is like a massive hugo2 that does dac and amplification in one box? Have i got that right as they are the only connections puzzling me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back