Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 4, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #16,366 of 18,907
Hi guys/girls
I currently own two TT2s- one in my headphone set up (dac & HP amp only, i don't think i need the pre...or do i?) and the second in the seperate speaker/main system (dac mode only. Not needing the pre or the HP out).
Needless to say they are great and i'm very happy with what they offer in terms of sound.

I guess you know where i'm going with this...

So yes, I'm interested in hearing your opinions if one could get a better bang for the buck with other gear based on my usage per each set up: i.e. better sound at similar cost or similar SQ at less cost?

I hope asking this isn't blasphemy 😉

Cheers.
Well, in those terms, I swopped out a TT2 in a speaker system and replaced it with a Qutest connected to my amplifier. For sure I also used a third party power supply with the Qutest but I found the Qutest to be a sort of mini Dave in its sound signature and I sort of preferred it (although with the third party LPS as I mentioned.

Jul 4, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #16,367 of 18,907
Well, in those terms, I swopped out a TT2 in a speaker system and replaced it with a Qutest connected to my amplifier. For sure I also used a third party power supply with the Qutest but I found the Qutest to be a sort of mini Dave in its sound signature and I sort of preferred it (although with the third party LPS as I mentioned.
I previously had a Qutest in the main system. Was great but upgraded to the TT2 about a year later.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #16,368 of 18,907
Just kinda seems i might be paying extra for features i don't need.
Regarding the speakers, one factor is what you are driving them with. Some find R2R DACs a better mesh with a SS downstream chain. However, others like the clarity of TT2 if there is a tube preamp in play.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #16,369 of 18,907
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #16,370 of 18,907
Jul 6, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #16,371 of 18,907
Oh I do apologise.... I thought is was fitting for all threads so any watchers/subscribers to that particular thread would get notification.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #16,372 of 18,907
Oh I do apologise.... I thought is was fitting for all threads so any watchers/subscribers to that particular thread would get notification.
It just makes for a very disjointed discussion across multiple threads. Thats all.

It was about the Mscaler so any Mscaler owners will watch that thread anyway . .

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #16,373 of 18,907
OK 👍

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #16,374 of 18,907
Is there such a thing?? 🤣
https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurements

1657102988757.png

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #16,375 of 18,907
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #16,376 of 18,907
You have chosen to define ‘good’ in terms of measurements. All I can say is that I owned a Holo May and it does not fit within my definition of ‘good’ in terms of how it sounds, or at least not compared to the Qutest or TT2 or Dave that I had in the same system at the time.
What did you not like in the Holo May if I may ask (pun unintended)? I never heard any Holo gear, so I am just interested in a counter opinion as they seem to be quite hyped. I am one of those weirdos, who couldn't care less about measurements, just follow their ears.
As a pure DAC the May3 would be out of my current budget anyway.

On a different note, I am back to team TT2 (。)(。). :) I simply couldn't resist an excellent second-hand deal. I only use it as a headphone DAC/amp. To me it just sounds better than any £3000 DAC/amp combination on the new or even second-hand market and I tried quite a few. (List of the very latest: RME-ADI2, Qutest, Soekris 2541, Soloist 3XP, Bryston BHA-1.)

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #16,377 of 18,907
What did you not like in the Holo May if I may ask (pun unintended)? I never heard any Holo gear, so I am just interested in a counter opinion as they seem to be quite hyped. I am one of those weirdos, who couldn't care less about measurements, just follow their ears.

On a different note, I am back to team TT2 (。)(。). :) I simply couldn't resist an excellent second-hand deal. I only use it as a headphone DAC/amp. To me it just sounds better than any £3000 DAC/amp combination on the new or even second-hand market and I tried quite a few. (List of the very latest: RME-ADI2, Qutest, Soekris 2541, Soloist 3XP, Bryston BHA-1.)
To my ears the May could not cope with complex orchestral passages especially in crescendos such as on Mars from the Planets Suite. The soudstage and separation of instruments just collapsed. I also heard a smearing of notes. I bought mine for a good price (just over £3k UKP) but even at that price I didn’t feel that it was worth keeping so I sold it on for the same price.

Glad to see you are back in team TT2!

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #16,379 of 18,907

welcome back man, we have identical set up now (Elite + TT2) haha

Speaking of may, actually I like the tonality, but still, as r2r, the separation between instrument still not as clear as TT2. Fully understand for people who prefer May though, different synergy here.

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #16,380 of 18,907
As someone who loves Chord products, I think, the new £4750 asking price for the TT2 is a bit steep on the current market when you only want a headphone DAC/amp. With a speaker setup the case might be different.

Let's focus on headphones now. When the TT2 first came out in early 2019, it was £3995. A real bargain in my opinion.
Now with some patience you can get a used TT2 on the second-hand market around £3000, even below 3 grand. That again is a bargain, although your warranty will be out or very limited.

I tried a lot of DAC/amp combinations around £2000-4000 and they are indeed very good. Some of them in some respect are better than the TT2, but if you look at the whole picture, the TT2 still wins out on a coherent and flawless performance.

To give an example, the Bryston BHA-1 is a fabulous SS amp. Very clean and clear, very punchy with good spaciousness combined with a capable DAC like the Soekris 2541, Qutest or RME ADI2.

I also connected the TT2 to the Bryston, which utterly destroyed all the other DACs mentioned. (3D spaciousness and naturalness on the TT2 as a DAC is just out of this world compared to the others.)

After these thoughts only one question remains. What does the BHA-1 add or remove from the TT2 for headphone use only?

Well, at first the excellent Bryston SS amp seems to add more punch, the sound is more 'stretched'. A fake improvement in clarity?
As you listen a few minutes though, it is easy to realise that the space becomes flatter, less 3 dimensional. There is an extra sense of punch with the Bryson, but definitely less refinement and texture in the bass. What you gain with the 'TT2 only' is a better positioning and a lot more natural and lifelike feel of space, although in an ever so slightly softer/more 'micro-rounded' manner.

While the Bryston adds extra punch and energy, it looses out on natural 3D spaciousness. The BHA-1 does upper mids and treble in a slightly aggressive way. This contributes to the exceptional sense of clarity and detail with this amp, but also takes away from the pleasure of long-term listening.

At £3000/3500 (used price here and there) the Bryston with a good DAC is a real bargain. At the same time, the TT2 is an even better bargain if you value spaciousness, better 3D positioning and a warmer, softer; more micro-dynamically rounded sound but with equal amount of details.

At £4750 the 3year old TT2 is getting more challenging to recommend when you can buy outstanding combos for half the price on the second-hand market. Still, Chord remains exceptionally special. Special in perfect 3D positioning, amazing soundstage depth, and a smooth and ear-friendly sound while providing all the resolution and detail retrieval other similarly priced devices can only dream of.

The combination of smoothness, clarity, detail retrieval, 3D spaciousness with exceptional depth is what makes Chord DACs unique.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back