Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 9, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #18,496 of 18,535
Since its not launced yet, i started a new anticipation thread about the upcoming Quartet Mscaler with its first picture from High end Munich show.. Here

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #18,497 of 18,535
1000036405.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #18,498 of 18,535
Its has a display like Dave which turns off after a time.
The silver button ball knobs with coloured LED rings are a nice feature fitting Dave

May 9, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #18,499 of 18,535
I think the stack now looks like proper military equipment, I like it😄👍

May 9, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #18,501 of 18,535
If one of these boxes is a dedicated power supply, is it for the new M-Scaler, or for Dave, or for both?

I have already invested in the Opto-DX and have my M-Scaler power source isolated in a different power circuit, so improving the M-Scaler power source does probably not make any sense in my setup. I would expect that improving my Dave power source would be more meaningful with my Opto-DX / electrically isolated M-Scaler. Am I wrong?

May 9, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #18,503 of 18,535
Perhaps Rob should release one of these new power supplies for the current M Scaler, I know a lot of people dislike the stock power supply.
And is there any reason?

I want the new M-Scaler without the extra power source, which will probably add (too much) to the price, I guess.

May 9, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #18,504 of 18,535
Stealth out of the DAVE with an official Chord external power supply and the new M-Scaler? I don't believe it :beyersmile:

May 9, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #18,505 of 18,535
Anyone know the price? That additional power supply could make it alot more expensive than we thought

May 9, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #18,506 of 18,535
And is there any reason?

I want the new M-Scaler without the extra power source, which will probably add (too much) to the price, I guess.

A good power supply can make a really big difference in terms of sound quality. It's not all that uncommon for companies to ship premium equipment with (non-optional) external power supplies that live in their own enclosure. A few examples off the top of my head include LTA, Holo, and Zahl. There are others that make them optional, like Ferrum. For better or worse, when companies are offering flagship products, it's somewhat understandable they want to give every customer the flagship experience without giving them the option to "downgrade" the equipment.

I agree that it's probably not a trivial addition to the cost, but as someone who has found good power equipment to be some of the most important upgrades I've put in my system, I am very supportive of this route.

May 9, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #18,507 of 18,535
And is there any reason?

The main reason its external is space.

There is no room left in the Choral housing aside 5 FPGA's and heatsinks.

Further the PSU has an extensive RF filter circuit.

May 9, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #18,508 of 18,535
A good power supply can make a really big difference in terms of sound quality. It's not all that uncommon for companies to ship premium equipment with (non-optional) external power supplies that live in their own enclosure. A few examples off the top of my head include LTA, Holo, and Zahl. There are others that make them optional, like Ferrum. For better or worse, when companies are offering flagship products, it's somewhat understandable they want to give every customer the flagship experience without giving them the option to "downgrade" the equipment.

I agree that it's probably not a trivial addition to the cost, but as someone who has found good power equipment to be some of the most important upgrades I've put in my system, I am very supportive of this route.
Yes, I agree entirely that a good power supply can substantially affect the sound quality. I have bought multiple power conditioners and other power-related devices to learn this. But I have the Opto DX optically isolating my M-Scaler and Dave, and my M-Scaler is completely electrically isolated from Dave (in a different electric circuit), so I do not need a better / extra power source for the new M-Scaler. I already solved this and achieved total isolation of my current M-Scaler and Dave to ensure that Dave is not affected by M-Scaler-related noise. So I need the new M-Scaler, without the extra power box.

I assume that the M-Scaler calculations (their results) are not affected by the M-Scaler power source. If my Dave is totally isolated from the M-Scaler, what is the point of paying a (non-negligible?) extra for solving a potential M-Scaler noise problem that will not exist in my current, well-treated setup? Can someone tell me if I am wrong and if the calculations of the M-Scaler itself are somehow affected by the quality of its power supply?

May 9, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #18,509 of 18,535
Maybe it‘s the 1V 60A(or was it 80A?) power supply Rob talked about. Good luck finding something like that. At least Power wise it would fit. The current Scaler needs 15W, x 5 chips is 75W.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #18,510 of 18,535
Maybe it‘s the 1V 60A(or was it 80A?) power supply Rob talked about. Good luck finding something like that. At least Power wise it would fit. The current Scaler needs 15W, x 5 chips is 75W.
Thanks, that is a good info. Let us see what the final version will be :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back