Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 16, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #18,121 of 18,489
After reading about the benefits of using optical, I purchased this cable to connect my 2Go/2Yu to my HMS. Sounds absolutely gorgeous! At least at 16/44 and 24/96. It won't connect at 24/192.

However, it runs 24/192 just fine to my Hugo TT2 and Mojo2!!

When using the HMS, the DX OP light will flash a very dimmed red. As soon as I pause the music, it goes to blue.

If I use a "no-name" cable into the HMS, it transmits 24/192 just fine. I do notice that the nonamer does click into position more firmly. I've tried pushing the Silver Sonic as firmly as possible, into either the 1 or 2 OPT IN, but it never works.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? If there is any additional info I need to provide, please let me know!!

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #18,122 of 18,489
After reading about the benefits of using optical, I purchased this cable to connect my 2Go/2Yu to my HMS. Sounds absolutely gorgeous! At least at 16/44 and 24/96. It won't connect at 24/192.

However, it runs 24/192 just fine to my Hugo TT2 and Mojo2!!

When using the HMS, the DX OP light will flash a very dimmed red. As soon as I pause the music, it goes to blue.

If I use a "no-name" cable into the HMS, it transmits 24/192 just fine. I do notice that the nonamer does click into position more firmly. I've tried pushing the Silver Sonic as firmly as possible, into either the 1 or 2 OPT IN, but it never works.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? If there is any additional info I need to provide, please let me know!!
The Toslink sockets on the MScaler are a little recessed and some aftermarket cables use bulkier connectors which may foul before clicking in securely, look closely at the profile of the two different plugs and you should see any potential fouling with a larger plug, if it’s not too bad you could file away a little of the aftermarket plug to more closely match the stock one,
Larger plugs look more impressive and I’ve even seen gold plated connectors on some Toslink cables, who knows why on an optical cable ..🙄

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #18,123 of 18,489
The Toslink sockets on the MScaler are a little recessed and some aftermarket cables use bulkier connectors which may foul before clicking in securely, look closely at the profile of the two different plugs and you should see any potential fouling with a larger plug, if it’s not too bad you could file away a little of the aftermarket plug to more closely match the stock one,
Larger plugs look more impressive and I’ve even seen gold plated connectors on some Toslink cables, who knows why on an optical cable ..🙄
Yes somethimes it's the bulky connector that is causing the problem.
But sometimes these audiophile toslink cables are just utter crap.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #18,124 of 18,489
Get a €25 Audioquest Forest (single strand)
I use 2 of them and some of my friends also.
Never failed 192k once.

Its connectors click firmly in and dont wobble which is the main reason of others failing to do 192k.

Technical reason is that a firm connector aligns straight so the light wont enter at an angle causing negative reflections.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #18,125 of 18,489
I hate it when the toslink has a diameter too large and does not go deep enough in a recessed toslink hole.
Even when it fits, sometimes they can wiggle somewhat. Some can do 192, others not, even in same brand!
It's an old design, ready for gremlins.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #18,126 of 18,489
I hate it when the toslink has a diameter too large and does not go deep enough in a recessed toslink hole.
Even when it fits, sometimes they can wiggle somewhat. Some can do 192, others not, even in same brand!
It's an old design, ready for gremlins.
It is a very weird medium, very clunky for sure, but it's got its positives.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #18,127 of 18,489
It is a very weird medium, very clunky for sure, but it's got its positives.
Mainly avoiding conducting electricity! It is 40 year old technology now, and uses long wavelength red laser. A modern system based on shorter wavelength blue light would probably beat anything else, but given 90% of streamed music is still no better than 44.1 kHz. It can cope up to 192 kHz anyway, so is just about good enough. I have Audioquest Forest Toslink throughout. The thing about Toslink optical is it either works or it doesn't. Expensive cables don't add much unless using very long runs where glass fibre is less likely to fail than plastic.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #18,128 of 18,489
Mainly avoiding conducting electricity! It is 40 year old technology now, and uses long wavelength red laser. A modern system based on shorter wavelength blue light would probably beat anything else, but given 90% of streamed music is still no better than 44.1 kHz. It can cope up to 192 kHz anyway, so is just about good enough. I have Audioquest Forest Toslink throughout. The thing about Toslink optical is it either works or it doesn't. Expensive cables don't add much unless using very long runs where glass fibre is less likely to fail than plastic.
True.

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #18,129 of 18,489
So we have a name for the new scaler:

Screenshot_20240218-232229_Samsung Internet.jpg

Around 11:25

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #18,130 of 18,489
I just got the bixpower. First thing I notice was soundstage sounded wider and instruments more separated. Vocals seem a bit pushed back.

I had the ifi elite psu with ifi cable before. I think it sounded pretty good. Only tad behind battery in sq.

I switched back to stock psu to compare and soundstage was more narrow. Instruments were harder to focus on. Vocals were more forward and closer. It sounded more harsh and fatiguing. After couple of songs, started to have a light headache.
@Hiyono which iFi Elite did you use before you used the battery? Was it the 12v or the 15v? Thanks!

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #18,132 of 18,489
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #18,133 of 18,489
I know they want to keep the naming a bit more serious in the choral range but it would be funny if it's called: "four scaling two (too)" (and it would be very confusing😄)

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #18,135 of 18,489
Quartets are more expensive than Duets but less than Octets:smile:....I'm afraid it will cost 5k each box.....I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
I believe John said its just the name of the unit. The multibox unit could be the Ulima DAC.

I think Quartet hints to the use of 4 FPGA's
And possible 4 Mtaps..

That would also mean a possible delay of 4x ~0,6s = 2,4 sec.

But we'll might see in Munich show.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back