Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 23, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #17,806 of 18,493
The album must sound beautiful this time of year. I would ditch mqa for the qobuz or tidal pcm versions if you can.

Had to get that in before xmas lol

I have the option to trade in my kef ls50 metas for klipsch heresy 4's horn speakers with 99dB sensitivity. Right now im in a nearfield set up with the metas so quite happy. Would the heresy's bring anymore to the game other than increased volume? The metas are currently fine in my set up with tt2 single ended and also sound great. The Heresy 4 at 99dB sensitivity is an excellent match power wise for tt2 single ended.

Struggling on this one advice would be great here...the heresy 4's...or are these in a different league?...would enable full room listening with my new sub??

1703356011696.png
It sounds amazing specially this time of year, I did ditch Tidal completely and moved to Qobuz, I did not like MQA at all.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #17,807 of 18,493
2 questions: which filter are you using for Qutest and what is the output voltage set at?

Because M-Scaler lowers the volume by 2.7dB, it’s possible that if you have room, you can increase the Qutest voltage and as long as it doesn’t clip your amp, you might get that bass back. Same goes for the filter, sometimes, with M-Scaler, one filter that works with solo Qutest doesn’t work as well and needs a different filter when using it with M-Scaler.
Yes! Reset from 2a to 3a and the sound is meatier. Maybe I’m just listening louder…. Also tried moving from neutral-incisive to warm. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #17,808 of 18,493
Voxativ hagen "horn" monitors 99dB efficiency on my large desk on aperta stands powered direct from mtt2.

Voxativ z bass powered subwoofer under my desk connected to tt2, OMG by April? Everything is in place. Total value £8800

Where does this end? This voxativ set up would sound or would be a reference nearfield set up. The amazing SQ im getting at present is making me consider even better options. Without mscaler//tt2 there would be nothing.

1703362508365.png

1703362519265.png

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #17,809 of 18,493
The album must sound beautiful this time of year. I would ditch mqa for the qobuz or tidal pcm versions if you can.

Had to get that in before xmas lol

I have the option to trade in my kef ls50 metas for klipsch heresy 4's horn speakers with 99dB sensitivity. Right now im in a nearfield set up with the metas so quite happy. Would the heresy's bring anymore to the game other than increased volume? The metas are currently fine in my set up with tt2 single ended and also sound great. The Heresy 4 at 99dB sensitivity is an excellent match power wise for tt2 single ended.

Struggling on this one advice would be great here...the heresy 4's...or are these in a different league?...would enable full room listening with my new sub??

1703356011696.png
DYNAMICS!!!!

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #17,810 of 18,493
Yes! Reset from 2a to 3a and the sound is meatier. Maybe I’m just listening louder…. Also tried moving from neutral-incisive to warm. Thanks for the tip!
So I personally prefer neutral-incisive HF-roll off on my Hugo 2. You should definitely try that too to see if you like that one better.

2V to 3V is a 4dB increase so it offsets the -2.7dB from the M-Scaler. Basically you are listening +1.3dB louder than without the M-Scaler. But I think there are technical reasons to believe you’re just getting meatier bass with this setting now.

With respect to upgrading from Qutest + linear tube amplifer mz3 to a used Hugo TT2, some people really like tube amplifier sound so you may not like your headphones driven directly out of the TT2 although I think some of us here really do. And I’m never totally sure how much more you get replacing the Qutest with the TT2 while keeping the tube amp.

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #17,812 of 18,493
Everyone’s experience and tastes are different, when I first had the Qutest/ MScaler I auditioned a few different cables courtesy of a friendly dealer, and once I chose to order a pair I went with 1.5 metres for some positional choices … just plugged the new cables in initially and noticed a definite improvement …later I moved the Qutest and MScaler as far apart as the cables would allow and was surprised by an almost equal improvement, next, with a lot of components in the whole setup I have 2 filter boards 1 near each end of the unit, so then plugged the standard PSU’s as far apart as possible on different power boards and again a noticeable improvement, so sometimes optimising what you have by careful trial and error can reveal similar benefits as replacing something ….

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #17,813 of 18,493
Listen to Mary did you know and let me know what you think.
Hey, that's one of my favourite track be it any artist's. Merry Christmas and Cheers!

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #17,814 of 18,493
Voxativ hagen "horn" monitors 99dB efficiency on my large desk on aperta stands powered direct from mtt2.

Voxativ z bass powered subwoofer under my desk connected to tt2, OMG by April? Everything is in place. Total value £8800

Where does this end? This voxativ set up would sound or would be a reference nearfield set up. The amazing SQ im getting at present is making me consider even better options. Without mscaler//tt2 there would be nothing.

1703362508365.png
1703362519265.png

Don’t go in to purchasing a speaker just based on its sensitivity, listen to many and buy what sounds best to you. Adding an amplifier won’t stop you enjoying music…

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #17,815 of 18,493
Has anyone added a tube amp to the HugoTT2 and MScaler combination? If so, was the difference enjoyable? Lastly, anyone use the Woo WA7 Gen3 specifically?

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #17,816 of 18,493
Has anyone added a tube amp to the HugoTT2 and MScaler combination? If so, was the difference enjoyable? Lastly, anyone use the Woo WA7 Gen3 specifically?
Yes, a Linear Tube Audio MZ3 running as either headphone amp to Utopia 2022 or as preamp in Pass Labs XA25 and Focal Kanta 2. It’s adds extra body and colour at the expense of a little resolution. I find myself sometimes using the MZ3 and sometimes running straight from the HMS/TT2. It’s nice to have the option for something a little different.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #17,817 of 18,493
When i had chord anni with qutest/mscaler with my oppo pm1 headphone removing the anni amp and going direct from mscaler/tt2 the removal of the amp made a night and day difference ie no amp in the chain. Im using the same principle with tt2 powering efficient horn speakers direct with no amp. I dont have the chance to audition but have till the 27th to decide whether or not to go for the heresy 4 horn speakers by klipsch. These speakers are pictured on the previous page reviews are mostly great emphasising the live in your room sound vs the more precise sound from the kefs which are smaller,

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #17,818 of 18,493
Yes, a Linear Tube Audio MZ3 running as either headphone amp to Utopia 2022 or as preamp in Pass Labs XA25 and Focal Kanta 2. It’s adds extra body and colour at the expense of a little resolution. I find myself sometimes using the MZ3 and sometimes running straight from the HMS/TT2. It’s nice to have the option for something a little different.
Thank you. I've not heard of that amp before, I will read about it.

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #17,819 of 18,493
When i had chord anni with qutest/mscaler with my oppo pm1 headphone removing the anni amp and going direct from mscaler/tt2 the removal of the amp made a night and day difference ie no amp in the chain. Im using the same principle with tt2 powering efficient horn speakers direct with no amp. I dont have the chance to audition but have till the 27th to decide whether or not to go for the heresy 4 horn speakers by klipsch. These speakers are pictured on the previous page reviews are mostly great emphasising the live in your room sound vs the more precise sound from the kefs which are smaller,

You really need to listen to them in your room first, what good is a highly efficient speaker that is happily driven from the TT2 if you don’t like the Klipsch sound?

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #17,820 of 18,493
excellent point however the dealer looking to give me full trade in value for the kefs and aperta stands is hundreds of miles away and i dont drive right now. Reviews and listening to heresy 4 you tube sound tests through my mtt2 is all i have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back