Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 2, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #17,476 of 18,489
Amazing what the M Scaler does here, not the best recording but the impact and the depth and the reduction of sibilance. Love it, play it at high volume.
1000097304.png

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #17,479 of 18,489
...Any particular recording, such as Black Pumas Colors, that you recommend as highlighting a difference? Thank you.
To me it's an overall property thing actually. But it can't fix for example Sisters Of Mercy original recordings. Sorry I'm so busy right now to check out some albums, but I reckon people here give good hints. Godspeed...

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #17,480 of 18,489
@Meridian7 , thanks. Yes, I think my headphones are good enough… been using either the Grado PS1000 for open or Focal Stellia for closed. Any particular recording, such as Black Pumas Colors, that you recommend as highlighting a difference? Thank you.

A few albums that show off the virtues of the MScaler in my speaker set up,, Tierney Sutton-After Blue, Ben Harper-Welcome To The Cruel World, Chris Jones-Roadhouse And Automobiles, The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over, Gillian Welch
-Soul Journey, Nick Drake-Pink Moon, Fink-Biscuits For Breakfast, Lady Blackbird
-Black Acid Soul, Van Morrison-The Healing Game.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #17,481 of 18,489
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #17,482 of 18,489
My head is spinning in orbit with this on HMS..
Screenshot_20230809-225953_foobar2000 controller PRO.jpg

RBCD press CK 44051

Im trying to read.. but get constantly drawed into his space ..luv these whacking trumpets

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #17,483 of 18,489
Yes!! I had to stop reading Colson Whitehead’s Crook Manifesto to listen to this. Your system is working well when the music just won’t let you read. (A much more successful recording/remastering than the Ruth Price above.)

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #17,484 of 18,489
… Your system is working well when the music just won’t let you read. …

I’m also getting pulled away from reading while listening to the recent excellent suggestions in this thread! Much earlier in this thread Frank Zappa’s “Apostrophe “ was suggested. I too think it’s excellent with the Mscaler, especially the HR version on Qobuz. I’m very familiar with that album but hearing it with the Mscaler for the first time is very impressive.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #17,485 of 18,489
Yeah, I have found that about 1 in 10-20 forum posters say they can't hear a difference with MScaler. Although some with some guidance can hear the difference.

For that specific song (Colors), what you should be able to hear is that both the melodic instruments and vocals are just slightly warmer and more 3-dimensional at 16x
But slightly more easier to hear (and this is where some people just can't seem to hear) is that all the percussive instruments have better transient accuracy. Meaning all the drum strikes seems more accurate, sometimes it's the attack is sharper at 16x upsampling. It's the difference between a soft clap of the hand vs a hard quick clap of the hand.

To microanalyse the sonic differences often leads to people going, well, is the difference that big? But when you relax and just start getting used to MScaler, for me, it's very hard to go back to going without the MScaler on my main rig.

Just acquired an mscaler today, honestly A/Bing from white to red, I can’t tell the difference but weirdly enough when I swap cables to playing the Qutest alone, the sound gets a bit less smooth and more digital and “in your face” sounding. It is making me question if pass-thru is truly “pass-thru” and not affecting the sound in any way.…I will say after listening for 90 minutes of music now on my Grados which are bright to begin with, I’m not feeling fatigued at all, I think there is something to it but it is working more on the human level in how your eardrum takes in sound than actually making a significant audible difference.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #17,486 of 18,489
Just acquired an mscaler today, honestly A/Bing from white to red, I can’t tell the difference but weirdly enough when I swap cables to playing the Qutest alone, the sound gets a bit less smooth and more digital and “in your face” sounding. It is making me question if pass-thru is truly “pass-thru” and not affecting the sound in any way.…I will say after listening for 90 minutes of music now on my Grados which are bright to begin with, I’m not feeling fatigued at all, I think there is something to it but it is working more on the human level in how your eardrum takes in sound than actually making a significant audible difference.
If your USB/digital (non-Toslink) source has RF noise going into Qutest, running the same source through M-Scaler would remove some of that RF noise (regardless of the M-scaler upsampling settings). The removal of the RF noise would definitely make the Qutest sound smoother, less in your face.

The other possibility is that you have the Qutest voltage set too high so it’s actually clipping your headphone amp. Since M-Scaler lowers the volume by 2.7dB to accommodate for intersample overs, your Qutest could be clipping your headphone amp significantly less. Clipping sound from Qutest would also be less smooth, more digital and more “in your face”

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #17,487 of 18,489
Suggestions:

1. give MScaler break-in time;
2. provide it with better BNC cables than Chord‘s;
3. place units at least 4” apart; and
4. add linear power supplies to both.

With these changes I can hear differences between red/white with 44/16 and 96/24 sources; harder to detect but often audible with 192 source and above. But these differences seem less important than enjoying M Scaler over longer periods of time.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #17,488 of 18,489
Suggestions:

1. give MScaler break-in time;
2. provide it with better BNC cables than Chord‘s;
3. place units at least 4” apart; and
4. add linear power supplies to both.

With these changes I can hear differences between red/white with 44/16 and 96/24 sources; harder to detect but often audible with 192 source and above. But these differences seem less important than enjoying M Scaler over longer periods of time.
I could hear a big difference in my sleep with the Qutest, even with stock power supplies, the difference was night and day. Then again, I use very revealing speakers, not headphones.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #17,489 of 18,489
Don’t set your alarm clock – it’ll spoil your audio dreams. :zipper_mouth:

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #17,490 of 18,489
It is making me question if pass-thru is truly “pass-thru” and not affecting the sound in any way.
The signal always runs through the scaler's coding, also on red setting.

This is easy to know as the 600ms delay keeps the same on all OP SR settings, non video mode.

Its not a matter of losing RF that makes the sound softer as i hear it too using toslink and DBNC over optical in my system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back