Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 22, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #17,251 of 18,483
I tried the stock BNC cables and they did not make a difference. The garage door opener would not work without the RF blocking fabric present. The garage door opener again worked fine when the RF blocking fabric was returned to beneath the Hugo M-Scaler (HMS).
Not to doubt this issue you are facing, I am unable to fathom how the HMS is causing this with your garage door opener and your tv picture. My HMS is less than 10’ from my tv, less from my computer monitor, and garage door opener is right below on the first floor.

Do you have a link for the RF blocking fabric you are using to help minimize the interference?

Jun 22, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #17,252 of 18,483
looks like you should check in with your dealer and see if they have one you can borrow and see if you get the same result.
I’ve tried two sets of cables so far, the stock BNC cables and a set of a well known brand BNC cables, the HMS had the problem when either set was used. The RF blocking fabric worked when placed under the HMS regardless of the cable set used.

Not to doubt this issue you are facing, I am unable to fathom how the HMS is causing this with your garage door opener and your tv picture. My HMS is less than 10’ from my tv, less from my computer monitor, and garage door opener is right below on the first floor.

Do you have a link for the RF blocking fabric you are using to help minimize the interference?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093TT9C65?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The RF blocking fabric minimized the interference to the point before I purchased the HMS. Note that I do not have any relationship with the RF block fabric other than purchasing it a single time. When I initially bought it, I thought the problem was something other than the HMS. And I suppose it still could be. I initially wrapped the entire rear ⅔ of the garage door opener with 2 layers of the RF block fabric. Exposing the antenna to only my car in the driveway. It didn’t work. So I thought what if….. So I took the already cut fabric, folded it over and placed it directly beneath the 3/4 inch thick maple cutting board under the HMS, and it is also therefore now 4 layers thick, and voila, problem solved, the garage door opener now works from a distance out in the driveway where it worked prior to the HMS purchase.

It could be multiple RFI issues in play. Perhaps a neighbor bought an RFI emitter appliance and my HMS addition overwhelmed the garage door opener. Who knows? All I know for sure is what happened when I experimented and had the results as described in the previous paragraph.

Jun 22, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #17,253 of 18,483
My question is that whether the new Ultima DAC requires this new scaler to have the best sound quality? Or the new Ultima DAC also has a companion Ultima scaler?

Once Ultima DAC is done, and some other projects are complete then I will be prototyping with even more FPGAs. If this then works out, then there will be an Ultima scaler.

Rob has mentioned in videos (at a minimum -- haven't read all of his posts) that the products he's working on are additions, not replacements -- and will be more expensive than the Dave (since the Ultima line is Chord's TOTL) and the HMS (new scaler will be in the Choral line).

Correct.

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #17,254 of 18,483
with even more FPGAs.
It seems the new scaler's greater code gets devided over multble FPGA's. Current Scaler has just one..

I assume theyre running in parallel on a single clock.. it must be a pain to sync combine the data and supress the groundplane noise.

I hope it wont need a fan to cool them

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #17,255 of 18,483
So I assume it is time to save for a larger bag and power bank?

Jun 23, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #17,256 of 18,483
I’ve tried two sets of cables so far, the stock BNC cables and a set of a well known brand BNC cables, the HMS had the problem when either set was used. The RF blocking fabric worked when placed under the HMS regardless of the cable set used.

i meant try another m-scaler to see if by some chance yours has an issue.

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #17,257 of 18,483
i meant try another m-scaler to see if by some chance yours has an issue.
I thought about that. Some strangeness occurred when I swapped cables. With the first cables my Aurender streamer would show the resampled rate from the M-scaler (e.g., 705k) and it was easy to hear the improvement by using the red bypass button to compare the resampled song to the original bitrate.

After changing to the stock BNC cables, the Aurender streamer only shows the original bitrate of the song and I can’t hear an improvement when I use the red bypass button. It’s almost like the M-scaler is not resampling even though the M-scaler button lights are showing the correct color for maximum resampling rate and the Qutest DAC button is cyan (i.e., indicating dual BNC input).

I assumed my inability to hear a difference was due to the stock BNC cables lack of burn-in. I may need to put the first cables back in service.

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #17,258 of 18,483
@Foxman50 and other Aurender owners who use an M-scaler, what specific start-up sequence do you use relative to your Aurender, your Chord DAC and the MScaler? I’ve been using the Hugo M Scaler Manual v1.5 section 4.3 which has you connect the source’s (Aurender) USB cable AFTER the source, the MScaler and the DAC are all powered up. Could this be causing handshake issues between the Aurender and the MScaler? It was my understanding that Aurender wanted the USB cable connected prior to DAC (MScaler for us here) power-up for a proper handshake to occur.

Jun 23, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #17,259 of 18,483
“I assumed my inability to hear a difference was due to the stock BNC cables lack of burn-in. I may need to put the first cables back in service.”

Yep. One problem solved. Perhaps additional burn-in really helps the stock BNC cables but I couldn’t stand listening to them. The other cables, Nordost, are much more burned-in and likely very superior. The audio improvements are easily heard and the MScaler goodness is back.

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #17,260 of 18,483
After some months ago getting a 2000+ all 44.1/16 ripped original 80's released RBCD collection with mainly 50's and 60's jazz, blues and classics from decca, parlophone, bluenote etc. And listening countless hours.. ive got sinked miles deep into the music getting cramp in my feet and neck by swinging and tapping.

Its all too clear to me that Mscaler really NEEDS to get feed digitally unprocessed, just simply unaltered ADC'ed material to truly work. No dolby, computer EQed or mixing please.

I equipped my music server with two toslink outputs, the 1st going into the scaler and 2nd straight into Dave. Where i use the 1st for Mscaling pre 1968 records and some rightly mastered later productions.. the 2nd i choose for EDM or newer tracks where completely bypassing Mscaler just sounds better on those.

I stay with my earlier posts about the Mscaler adding a wooly and smeared accent to most mainstream new music.

After my Mods on Dave this difference got more obvious and bigger making the Mscaler's good effect on pre 1968 music super easy to hear, and on some overmastered new stuff just completely gone leaving a negative effect.

Im definately keeping the Mscaler, but bypass it when needed.

What i cant understand is why choosing Red bypass on the Mscaler SR wont work like physically bypassing it.
I think it is cause the signal still passes its code attenuating it by 3dB.

I believe the upcoming new scaler will make this difference even bigger.. as it simply cant repair 'damaged' overmastered tracks.
But will make older stuff intoxicatingly good..

This brings me to make a request to @Rob Watts :

Can the new scaler get a signal integrity test option.. with this i mean Chord supplies a test track. When playing this the scaler recognizes this and run a 'bit perfect' comparisson to a same pre stored reference then telling the user it receives a clean signal by eg. a light colour or display text.

Further.. can it state the bit depth it gets
(16, 24 or 32 bit) aside the sampling rate?

Finally.. keep up the marvelous work!!
I enjoy it every day!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #17,261 of 18,483
@Foxman50 and other Aurender owners who use an M-scaler, what specific start-up sequence do you use relative to your Aurender, your Chord DAC and the MScaler? I’ve been using the Hugo M Scaler Manual v1.5 section 4.3 which has you connect the source’s (Aurender) USB cable AFTER the source, the MScaler and the DAC are all powered up. Could this be causing handshake issues between the Aurender and the MScaler? It was my understanding that Aurender wanted the USB cable connected prior to DAC (MScaler for us here) power-up for a proper handshake to occur.
Can’t say I concern myself with it really, if you get the digital squealing just pull the usb and pop it back in. On the very rare occasion I restart the Aurender.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #17,262 of 18,483
2018. The first PCB was finished Feb 2019. So this is my longest project too, as it's been more than 5 years now.

No when flying it's just a Bixpower power-bank, Hugo 2, Hugo M scaler and DCA Stealth. I used to take a Dave with me, but that went into the hold.

Will the ultima dac also benefit from the new scaler?

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #17,263 of 18,483
Hi, totally new to the forum and I am devistated. Looks like my M-Scaler has gone faulty, I can't seem to get any signals to my TT2 and all the lights on the front are flashing, no reference to this in the manual. I have emailed Chord but waiting on a response, my unit is just coming up to about 4 years old so outside of warrenty. Has anyone ever experienced these flashing lights, unit lights seems to work as before but flash, any ideas on cost of an outside warrenty repair, terrified this will cost a bomb or I'm left with an aluminium brick. Tt2 works fine, nothing had happened as the M-Scaler had been left plugged in and powered on, then I noticed the lights blinking, absolutely gutted

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #17,264 of 18,483
Hi, totally new to the forum and I am devistated. Looks like my M-Scaler has gone faulty, I can't seem to get any signals to my TT2 and all the lights on the front are flashing, no reference to this in the manual. I have emailed Chord but waiting on a response, my unit is just coming up to about 4 years old so outside of warrenty. Has anyone ever experienced these flashing lights, unit lights seems to work as before but flash, any ideas on cost of an outside warrenty repair, terrified this will cost a bomb or I'm left with an aluminium brick. Tt2 works fine, nothing had happened as the M-Scaler had been left plugged in and powered on, then I noticed the lights blinking, absolutely gutted
Seems like a power related problem..
Did you try the PSU of TT2 on the scaler?
See how it behaves then..
Theyre the same rating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back