Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 30, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #17,281 of 18,535
I have not seen anything like that before. Note it's not painted but a hard anodised aluminium finish. I suspect it's been affected by UV light by leaving it in direct sunlight.

My suspicions too. I asked Mr. Google, and this came up. Apparently long term exposure to UV can affect the dyes used in anodising. It's good to learn something new every day!

Correct but I do like to hear about all issues, and will reply if at all possible.

Definitely what happens when you leave anodised aluminium in the sun. I've had it happen to a few pieces of gear. If you're lucky, it turns a nice shade of orange!

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #17,282 of 18,535
Hi, @Rob Watts! Sorry for bothering with this matter, but have you got any idea on why this happened to a friend of mines M Scaler? It looks like the black paint is discolouring and turning reddish, sort of.
UV made this.
In the past I had couple of audio-gd products and all of them suffered from that.
It's anodization problem if the unit is on warranty I would send it for a "repair".

ps. My units were not in direct sunlight.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #17,283 of 18,535
Of course! As the DAC gets innately better at reconstructing transient timing (I am thinking analogue here), then it's actually easier to hear the changes.

I suspected the PSU too - it sounds like the FPGA boot sequence is tripping the internal PSU. Never heard of this fault on the M scaler before though. I trust Chord will get you up and running again quickly.
I'm a bit speachless, just received email from Chord that my M-Scaler main board needed to be replaced as it had failed, my unit was out of warranty by a good year yet they have repaired, replacing the board and dispatched it back to me free of charge, all within a week, Simply superb support and service, this is how a company should operate and I will be doing my best to promote Chord. Customer for life now, might be time to trade my Super Nait3 for the new Chord Amp. I can't praise Chord enough, just made my weekend, excellent stuff :)

Jun 30, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #17,284 of 18,535
I'm a bit speachless, just received email from Chord that my M-Scaler main board needed to be replaced as it had failed, my unit was out of warranty by a good year yet they have repaired, replacing the board and dispatched it back to me free of charge, all within a week, Simply superb support and service, this is how a company should operate and I will be doing my best to promote Chord. Customer for life now, might be time to trade my Super Nait3 for the new Chord Amp. I can't praise Chord enough, just made my weekend, excellent stuff :)
Now that is a company, that is true service. Glad I am a Chord man 😂

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #17,285 of 18,535
I have not seen anything like that before. Note it's not painted but a hard anodised aluminium finish. I suspect it's been affected by UV light by leaving it in direct sunlight.
My suspicions too. I asked Mr. Google, and this came up. Apparently long term exposure to UV can affect the dyes used in anodising. It's good to learn something new every day!
Correct but I do like to hear about all issues, and will reply if at all possible.
Why would anyone put a black electronic device, that needs to stay cool, under such direct sunlight, for it to fade to orange??!!
At least it was cheap :face_palm: .

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #17,286 of 18,535
Now that is a company, that is true service. Glad I am a Chord man 😂
...... and that is why, most of us, rather buy from Chord, than some other "Well-Measuring" equipment with little to no after sales service.
I once had a Meridian poweramp, that failed after 12 years! Meridian repaired it for me for the cost of the transport.
Leema, upgraded the USB input board on my DAC, to their latest version (with Galvanic Isolation), after I contacted them about a noise on USB input. All free of charge, for the cost of the transport. It was well out of warranty.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #17,288 of 18,535
...... and that is why, most of us, rather buy from Chord, than some other "Well-Measuring" equipment with little to no after sales service.
I once had a Meridian poweramp, that failed after 12 years! Meridian repaired it for me for the cost of the transport.
Leema, upgraded the USB input board on my DAC, to their latest version (with Galvanic Isolation), after I contacted them about a noise on USB input. All free of charge, for the cost of the transport. It was well out of warranty.
That is a valid point, but to be fair, for the cost of something like the M-Scaler, just as an example, I could purchase so many of these "well-measuring" devices that even if they failed at a rate of every year, it would still be less expensive to just constantly replace a "well-measuring" affordable DAC which is audibly transparent for all human beings ever born. Not to mention, there is no evidence that these "well-measuring" devices fail chronically.

I take your point that great customer service is very important, and it certainly is laudable, but you seem to be implying that the more affordable devices (by which again I sense you are talking about the many excellent products from Chinese audio companies) are going to fail at a high rate. Again, I do not know that this is true. My experience with quite a few devices from FiiO, SMSL and Gustard, for example, have been very positive without a single failure yet, years into ownership for some of these very affordable, and well-measuring devices.

May I also point out that when companies are able to provide such incredible service that in a capitalist system of business, that almost certainly indicates that the profit margins are high enough that they can do so. While it is wonderful that they do, it is extremely unlikely that this service is being funded out of the companies operating coffers. Put bluntly, there is plenty of profit and it enables them to do so because having high-spending customers who are happy with you is like a license to print money. They know darn well that the typical profile will be people who earn great money and they will be repeat clients. That is fine, I'm not judging that business model, we all make our choices.

The other more affordable business model is such that sure I may not get the support as you are discussing here, but I also don't need to sink a massive cash outlay into a device either. I can purchase a "well-measuring" audibly transparent DAC for say $250 that might actually last for many years. If it does fail in say 2 years, from an environmental perspective that is unfortunate, but from a financial perspective I am way, way, way ahead as compared to having to spend $4000 on a product. So really, both business models have pros and cons and it is a fallacy to assume that one is clearly better than the other. It depends on the user.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #17,289 of 18,535
That is a valid point, but to be fair, for the cost of something like the M-Scaler, just as an example, I could purchase so many of these "well-measuring" devices that even if they failed at a rate of every year, it would still be less expensive to just constantly replace a "well-measuring" affordable DAC which is audibly transparent for all human beings ever born. Not to mention, there is no evidence that these "well-measuring" devices fail chronically.

I take your point that great customer service is very important, and it certainly is laudable, but you seem to be implying that the more affordable devices (by which again I sense you are talking about the many excellent products from Chinese audio companies) are going to fail at a high rate. Again, I do not know that this is true. My experience with quite a few devices from FiiO, SMSL and Gustard, for example, have been very positive without a single failure yet, years into ownership for some of these very affordable, and well-measuring devices.

May I also point out that when companies are able to provide such incredible service that in a capitalist system of business, that almost certainly indicates that the profit margins are high enough that they can do so. While it is wonderful that they do, it is extremely unlikely that this service is being funded out of the companies operating coffers. Put bluntly, there is plenty of profit and it enables them to do so because having high-spending customers who are happy with you is like a license to print money. They know darn well that the typical profile will be people who earn great money and they will be repeat clients. That is fine, I'm not judging that business model, we all make our choices.

The other more affordable business model is such that sure I may not get the support as you are discussing here, but I also don't need to sink a massive cash outlay into a device either. I can purchase a "well-measuring" audibly transparent DAC for say $250 that might actually last for many years. If it does fail in say 2 years, from an environmental perspective that is unfortunate, but from a financial perspective I am way, way, way ahead as compared to having to spend $4000 on a product. So really, both business models have pros and cons and it is a fallacy to assume that one is clearly better than the other. It depends on the user.
I can only speak for myself.
Chasing a manufacturer for parts and service is annoying !
Yes you can buy a good few Toppings, for the price of a Chord. But Topping keeps churning out new models every year (by your estimation last model was transparent , so why a new model?), enticing you to keep changing, and Yes, they do fail! not faster than average, but parts and repairs availability are pot-lock.
I rather buy from a company that produces a device that doesn't NEED replacing, until something better is feasible , and I am sure of that hassle-free maintainance.
My peace of mind is worth money.
But from a strictly monetary oint of view, you do have a point.
But its not just about money, when you get serious about a hobby.

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #17,290 of 18,535
I can only speak for myself.
Chasing a manufacturer for parts and service is annoying !
Yes you can buy a good few Toppings, for the price of a Chord. But Topping keeps churning out new models every year (by your estimation last model was transparent , so why a new model?), enticing you to keep changing, and Yes, they do fail! not faster than average, but parts and repairs availability are pot-lock.
I rather buy from a company that produces a device that doesn't NEED replacing, until something better is feasible , and I am sure of that hassle-free maintainance.
My peace of mind is worth money.
But from a strictly monetary oint of view, you do have a point.
But its not just about money, when you get serious about a hobby.
I wouldn't bother with Topping, not interested.

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #17,291 of 18,535
I think the point I was trying to make is that when u need support which is not often, it is superb when your first experience is knocked out of the park, my M-Scaler was a customer trade in which I got a great deal on with a part exchange. Too many companies these days always looking to make an extra buck, so many companies too concerned about share holder value. My hi fi is my pride and joy has been worth every penny but the feeling u get when something fails is sickening especially at 3k, bravo Chord Electronics

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #17,292 of 18,535
I think the point I was trying to make is that when u need support which is not often, it is superb when your first experience is knocked out of the park, my M-Scaler was a customer trade in which I got a great deal on with a part exchange. Too many companies these days always looking to make an extra buck, so many companies too concerned about share holder value. My hi fi is my pride and joy has been worth every penny but the feeling u get when something fails is sickening especially at 3k, bravo Chord Electronics
You're 100% correct, almost all companies these days put the shareholders first and forget their customers and employees, glad to see Chord NOT doing that.

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #17,293 of 18,535
I wouldn't bother with Topping, not interested.
Actually, I got one, and love it!
I rarely do speaker listening at any length. For that, it serves me right. It hasn't broken down.
I got it on eBay for less than £300, and its sound is comparable with the best of them.
But for headphone use, its Hugo2 only. I doubt I ever change it, unless it explodes!

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #17,294 of 18,535
Actually, I got one, and love it!
I rarely do speaker listening at any length. For that, it serves me right. It hasn't broken down.
I got it on eBay for less than £300, and its sound is comparable with the best of them.
But for headphone use, its Hugo2 only. I doubt I ever change it, unless it explodes!
Glad you like it, that's great. I tried a bunch of DACs and to me they all sound terrible, except Chord.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #17,295 of 18,535
So I just acquired a used Qutest, my first Chord product. Honestly I am blown away by just how sharp and detailed it is after years of similar sounding DACs and just when I thought music couldn’t get even more detailed It surprises me.

That said even as great it is, I STILL can’t tell the difference between (true) 192khz and 44khz much less 96khz. Compared a trial run of Qobuz & Spotify on my Grado 3000x, no significant difference to my ears. Is there any benefit to getting an Mscaler? I don’t quite buy into being able to hear upscaled higher frequencies but is there any other advanced processing capabilities it adds to the QT that would be worth it? Or should I consider saving my money and maybe down the road getting a TT2 for the next hyperspace trip into razor sharp audio bliss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back