Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #17,176 of 18,495
Hi Rob, thank you firstly for beeing active on this forum, think I speak for everyone that this is much appreciated,

So if I understand correctly no additional benefit for the TT2 to have a powerbank compared to the SMPS that it comes with and only the Mscaler benefit with a powerbank?

2. And using a powerbank will substitute any of the expensive special external coax cables and eliminate the possibility of "RFI noise"?

3. Connesting the Mscaler from a steramer as in my case is it always better to use optical or is it the same using USB?

4. Another final ?? if I am looking for a powerbank such as the ones described previously, is there anything specific to look out for? would the below be suitable for the Mscaler? Live in Sweden so need to avoid VAT and import duties...

https://poweroak.eu/power-banks/100...50000mah-laptop-power-bank-8719324080118.html
@Rob Watts can you please answer these questions, I'm interested in the answers as well.

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #17,177 of 18,495
Is it the same charger between tt2 and mscaler in case mine were mixed up ?

Jun 3, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #17,178 of 18,495
Hi Rob, thank you firstly for beeing active on this forum, think I speak for everyone that this is much appreciated,

So if I understand correctly no additional benefit for the TT2 to have a powerbank compared to the SMPS that it comes with and only the Mscaler benefit with a powerbank?

2. And using a powerbank will substitute any of the expensive special external coax cables and eliminate the possibility of "RFI noise"?

3. Connesting the Mscaler from a steramer as in my case is it always better to use optical or is it the same using USB?

4. Another final ?? if I am looking for a powerbank such as the ones described previously, is there anything specific to look out for? would the below be suitable for the Mscaler? Live in Sweden so need to avoid VAT and import duties...

https://poweroak.eu/power-banks/100...50000mah-laptop-power-bank-8719324080118.html
One of my favourite summary posts from Rob located here that I think to a large extent answers questions 1 to 3, but not 4;

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-247#post-17293040

Hope of value until further info from Rob.

Edit: The optical cable Rob refers to is spelled KabelDirekt, available from Amazon

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #17,179 of 18,495
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #17,180 of 18,495
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #17,181 of 18,495
One of my favourite summary posts from Rob located here that I think to a large extent answers questions 1 to 3, but not 4;

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-247#post-17293040

Hope of value until further info from Rob.

Edit: The optical cable Rob refers to is spelled KabelDirekt, available from Amazon
Rob is awesome, listening to the TT-2 with M scaler and wow, it is amazing. I have the M scaler on battery and using Toslink from the CD Player. Sounds glorious.

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #17,182 of 18,495
yet again listened to MSB with their Amps, very expensive speakers also, the transients were blurred the bass was muddy, Rob is right. Not impressed at all.
1000079515.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #17,183 of 18,495
I think he travels with the Hugo 2 and M Scaler. And, I don't think he runs TT2 off power banks, only the M Scaler.

Does anyone know for a fact whether he runs the TT2 off of a power bank as well?
I just got off a plane and I truly cannot even begin to conceive of bringing a hugo 2 and M scaler and hooking them up etc..and the noise on a plane is deafening...must be from the genius required to create the products lol

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #17,185 of 18,495
First class, maybe?
Impossible. First class sound spl is around 70-75dB, economy is 75-80+ - these are long haul planes. Smaller 737/757/A320 have less difference between first and economy. Listening critically on plane is fool’s errand.

Edit: I brought sound meter with me to test out different planes. After testing out most planes I basically now only use AirPod Pro and put on some background noise and go to sleep.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #17,186 of 18,495
yet again listened to MSB with their Amps, very expensive speakers also, the transients were blurred the bass was muddy, Rob is right. Not impressed at all. 1000079515.jpg
That’s not how you evaluate gear. I suspect this is the first time you have heard any of the other components (other than MSB stack) and the room

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #17,187 of 18,495
Impossible. First class sound spl is around 70-75dB, economy is 75-80+ - these are long haul planes. Smaller 737/757/A320 have less difference between first and economy. Listening critically on plane is fool’s errand.

Edit: I brought sound meter with me to test out different planes. After testing out most planes I basically now only use AirPod Pro and put on some background noise and go to sleep.
Yeah, I was joking...

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #17,188 of 18,495
That’s not how you evaluate gear. I suspect this is the first time you have heard any of the other components (other than MSB stack) and the room
You suspect wrong buddy, I have listened to MSB, dCS, and a lot of high end stuff from the usual suspects, Wilson, Rockport, Mágico etc. Not impressed, I was impressed with Rockport and Einstein amps a while back, sounded fantastic. The last few times I have listened here and MSB is always on I haven't been impressed at all. If you don't feel the music, it's not worth it.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #17,189 of 18,495
You suspect wrong buddy, I have listened to MSB, dCS, and a lot of high end stuff from the usual suspects, Wilson, Rockport, Mágico etc. Not impressed, I was impressed with Rockport and Einstein amps a while back, sounded fantastic. The last few times I have listened here and MSB is always on I haven't been impressed at all. If you don't feel the music, it's not worth it.
I can get behind those words. But coming back to MSB, you are hearing the whole system and I can completely understand how a certain combination of gear in a certain room may not "move" your soul. If that were the case, I would say the system as it was set up was not impressive; but I would not attribute the issue to the DAC without knowing more.

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #17,190 of 18,495
I can get behind those words. But coming back to MSB, you are hearing the whole system and I can completely understand how a certain combination of gear in a certain room may not "move" your soul. If that were the case, I would say the system as it was set up was not impressive; but I would not attribute the issue to the DAC without knowing more.
I can agree with you on that, I only heard it shine once in this room with Rockport and Einstein amps, then it sounded amazing, but that was before I got Chord and became intimate with its sound. I'll go back a few more times and hear what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back