Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #16,681 of 18,491
If Chord want an “ultimate” scaler/DAC it doesn’t make sense to me to keep the DAVE. A good bit of the circuitry in the DAVE is wasted once you add a scalar, as are most of the inputs and the display. Also the very expensive, wasteful, blingy casework needs redesigned - it dates back to the era of CD. And please Chord, employ someone who can design a UI, the usability of the current product is appalling.

Well, Chord can have a completely and scale-down, let what you've highlighted, new Dave 0.5 design to match the new SuperS. Of course at a lower price.

The existing Dave users will weight whether to buy or upgrade to the SuperS.

To me, I may consider the three pieces SuperS and a matching scale-down Dave 0.5. :)

Also the very expensive, wasteful, blingy casework needs redesigned - it dates back to the era of CD. And please Chord, employ someone who can design a UI, the usability of the current product is appalling.

Ok! John should either fire himself or retire

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #16,683 of 18,491
Well, Chord can have a completely and scale-down, let what you've highlighted, new Dave 0.5 design to match the new SuperS. Of course at a lower price.

The existing Dave users will weight whether to buy or upgrade to the SuperS.

To me, I may consider the three pieces SuperS and a matching scale-down Dave 0.5. :)

Ok! John should either fire himself or retire
Also replacing the current DAVE with a product with no redundancy designed to work with a scaler offers the opportunity to design an interface between the two that works properly, rather than the current defective interface that requires ludicrously expensive cables to work ideally,

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #16,684 of 18,491
Also replacing the current DAVE with a product with no redundancy designed to work with a scaler offers the opportunity to design an interface between the two that works properly, rather than the current defective interface that requires ludicrously expensive cables to work ideally,
A very easy interface to connect the units would be LAN, he can use CAT 7 or higher, that is shielded and has more than enough bandwidth for the application, right now Wadax is using that to connect their units.

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #16,685 of 18,491
A very easy interface to connect the units would be LAN, he can use CAT 7 or higher, that is shielded and has more than enough bandwidth for the application, right now Wadax is using that to connect their units.
It would be nice if the whole lot could be on a LAN and act as a Roon, UPnP, Airplay and Openhome endpoint. And allow direct control of volume from relevant apps. It is after all 2023.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #16,686 of 18,491
It would be nice if the whole lot could be on a LAN and act as a Roon, UPnP, Airplay and Openhome endpoint. And allow direct control of volume from relevant apps. It is after all 2023.
Just buy a Lumin P1 and be done with all the nonsense.😁 I did, and it sounds just as good as the Naim ND5XS2 into an Mscaler/TT2 that I once owned.
One box…does everything you need, plus it has Ethernet or fibre input, which I use.
Tidal (MQA) is supported as well.😳
I have not listened to my own stored music in months, why bother ?

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #16,687 of 18,491
Just buy a Lumin P1 and be done with all the nonsense.😁 I did, and it sounds just as good as the Naim ND5XS2 into an Mscaler/TT2 that I once owned.
One box…does everything you need, plus it has Ethernet or fibre input, which I use.
Tidal (MQA) is supported as well.😳
I have not listened to my own stored music in months, why bother ?
Good luck getting Chord users to settle with 1 box - some of them are up to 4 boxes now without taking into account the streamer 😂

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #16,688 of 18,491
Good luck getting Chord users to settle with 1 box - some of them are up to 4 boxes now without taking into account the streamer 😂
I hear you, too many tweakers in this hobby…they might only have time to listen to music if they have one box.
I tell you, the P1 helps clean up the cable mess too.👍

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #16,690 of 18,491
I was referring to connecting the Super Scaler to the Ultima or whatever is called DAC via LAN instead of using noisy dual coaxial cables.
If R W's recent interview is anything to go by, the new Ultima is being designed as a no compromise product, hopefully any upscaling will be carried out within the housing of the larger Ultima unit.

I realise that in the past R W has stated that it was not possible to place the upscaling. section in the same case as the analogue stage, but it's now some time since the MScaler was first brought to market, hopefully technology has moved on and a one box solution will be possible, particularly as the Ultima dac is being mooted as a cost no object project,

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #16,691 of 18,491
If R W's recent interview is anything to go by, the new Ultima is being designed as a no compromise product, hopefully any upscaling will be carried out within the housing of the larger Ultima unit.

I realise that in the past R W has stated that it was not possible to place the upscaling. section in the same case as the analogue stage, but it's now some time since the MScaler was first brought to market, hopefully technology has moved on and a one box solution will be possible, particularly as the Ultima dac is being mooted as a cost no object project,
Hopefully he can pull it off, it would be much better that way.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #16,692 of 18,491
Just buy a Lumin P1 and be done with all the nonsense.😁...

mine is two boxes, two laptops (+playback software), 100 pounds each, I declare that I don't have to buy any transport and streamer which will cost more than that.

I owned a 35k transport/Dac (and complete reference class; the same models are still available in the market, list price is >50k now but with slight changes only) two decades ago. I heard natural sounds, better and more from the two laptops/HMS/Qutest.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #16,694 of 18,491
FWIW, I think we should hear an announcement soon. I believe in his Mojo 2 CanJam video, which was 10 months ago, Watts mentioned 'around this time a year from now'.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #16,695 of 18,491
mine is two boxes, two laptops (+playback software), 100 pounds each, I declare that I don't have to buy any transport and streamer which will cost more than that.

I owned a 35k transport/Dac (and complete reference class; the same models are still available in the market, list price is >50k now but with slight changes only) two decades ago. I heard natural sounds, better and more from the two laptops/HMS/Qutest.
Care to enlighten me on what these Laptops are, and why they are beating
50 K transport/Dac’s?
I am guessing DCS, just going by the numbers.
I tried my Laptop for a while using Jriver software>USB>Dac and a simple Ifi Zen stream kicked it to the curb sound wise.
I have since moved on to the P1, which was also a big upgrade.
Keep in mind, I only listen through speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back