Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #15,932 of 18,518
At least that way you’re getting the full 16x upscaling that the MScaler was designed for …
Yes.
Current chain :
Mac via usb and pc via optical to Mscaler
Mscaler to TT2 via dual BNC
TT2 to A90 amp via XLR
and TT2 to wa7 ff via RCA

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #15,933 of 18,518
Yes.
Current chain :
Mac via usb and pc via optical to Mscaler
Mscaler to TT2 via dual BNC
TT2 to A90 amp via XLR
and TT2 to wa7 ff via RCA
I always have only one input of HMS connected at the same time.. preferably optical ..to minimise groundloop RF between devices.

Same as i use only one output of the DAC

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #15,934 of 18,518
I always have only one input of HMS connected at the same time.. preferably optical ..to minimise groundloop RF between devices.

Same as use only one output of the DAC
This would be an issue if other devices are turned off?

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #15,935 of 18,518
This would be an issue if other devices are turned off?
As long theyre keep plugged into the net.. loops can excist via ground.. no matter if theyre switched off

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #15,936 of 18,518
Looking for a more ridiculous video ?
Back on topic,
Anyone try Vibrapods under the MScaler ?
Seems some are noticing improvements under a Dave ?
I have Vibrapods and cones under my M Scaler and my DAVE. In my impatience I did both all at once (scientific method failure!), but the combination is wonderful—everything nicely tightened up.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #15,937 of 18,518
I have Vibrapods and cones under my M Scaler and my DAVE. In my impatience I did both all at once (scientific method failure!), but the combination is wonderful—everything nicely tightened up.
Nice,
Supposedly the crystal clock chips can be sensitive to vibration,
Have a couple of sets in the parts bin so I’ll give ‘em a go .. 👍

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #15,938 of 18,518
Long time m scalar user recently getting a clipping sound with even moderate (-40) listening level. I think this is a m scaler issue because of no issue with a PC connected usb straight to Dave via usb (can push to -10 for example when paying a YouTube video)

Have a room core of Innuos zenith se to Phoenix reclocker to m scaler to Chord Dave to USB to ATC speakers
Here is a pic. Disconnected everything and put back together and went through the usual troubleshooting. I am at a loss here. Here is a pic in case the colors help.

C85C1C70-BC45-481B-9D4E-CBCD1E359D7E.jpeg

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #15,939 of 18,518
Long time m scalar user recently getting a clipping sound with even moderate (-40) listening level. I think this is a m scaler issue because of no issue with a PC connected usb straight to Dave via usb (can push to -10 for example when paying a YouTube video)

Have a room core of Innuos zenith se to Phoenix reclocker to m scaler to Chord Dave to USB to ATC speakers
Here is a pic. Disconnected everything and put back together and went through the usual troubleshooting. I am at a loss here. Here is a pic in case the colors help.
The obvious question is have you recently changed anything? anything at all?

PS, Out of interest why are you using Roon rather than Innuos Sense?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #15,940 of 18,518
The obvious question is have you recently changed anything? anything at all?

PS, Out of interest why are you using Roon rather than Innuos Sense?
Come to think of it I was using a different transformer. Will swap it out next time I’m home and see if that makes a difference.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #15,942 of 18,518
Come to think of it I was using a different transformer. Will swap it out next time I’m home and see if that makes a difference.
Always best to check out simple stuff first.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #15,943 of 18,518
I am using the DAVE with the M Scaler, also the Qutest and the M Scaler and I hear a difference with the high frequency filter on vs with it off, the High frequency filter on takes off harshness at high volume, what's crazy is I understand that this filter works at around 60khz, yet I hear it with CD material at 44khz sampling, which as you know stops at 22khz. It sounds much smoother and much more natural with the HF filter on, anyone else having this experience?

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #15,944 of 18,518
I am using the DAVE with the M Scaler, also the Qutest and the M Scaler and I hear a difference with the high frequency filter on vs with it off, the High frequency filter on takes off harshness at high volume, what's crazy is I understand that this filter works at around 60khz, yet I hear it with CD material at 44khz sampling, which as you know stops at 22khz. It sounds much smoother and much more natural with the HF filter on, anyone else having this experience?

If i remember correctly reading.. Rob has mentioned this in the first year after Dave's release and was initially puzzled cause he made it for higher bitrate input to filter ADC generated side noise out which is not so much present with 44.1

Later with HMS he told it could be left off ..
I guess cause HMS filters this already.

To be honest im not that sure myself to have it on or off

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #15,945 of 18,518
If i remember correctly reading.. Rob has mentioned this in the first year after Dave's release and was initially puzzled cause he made it for higher bitrate input to filter ADC generated side noise out which is not so much present with 44.1

Later with HMS he told it could be left off ..
I guess cause HMS filters this already.

To be honest im not that sure myself to have it on or off

Even with the M Scaler i hear a difference, and to me it sounds much smoother with it on, especially at high volumes. At lower volumes I can hear it as well, but it's more pronounced when the system is pumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back