Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #13,756 of 18,535
Yep. Individual changes usually result in small changes. But accumulatively, together they can have a large effect.

Power cords, extension blocks and Ethernet cables together can have a demonstrable effect.

For example, one of the most profound changes I made recently was replacing the stock power cord feeding my Linn Klimax Kontrol with a length of Chord Sarum Super ARAY power cable. Profound…
Detractors will say “rubbish” but the maker of my power amp strongly suggests a good power cord, and it does make a noticeable difference,
detractors will also question that if it makes such a difference why isn’t it supplied instead of the generic $5 job ? … cost for a start but beyond that some will have preferred cables and with prices ranging from less than a hundred bucks to several thousand which one should be supplied.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #13,758 of 18,535
detractors will also question that if it makes such a difference why isn’t it supplied instead of the generic
A person who would make that argument can’t be very bright. There is no consumer demand for that at all.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #13,759 of 18,535
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #13,760 of 18,535
First time was Ringo Starr’s “Photograph“ …. Castanets in the mix towards the end to start with, ended up hearing them clearly throughout the song .
likely totally different for you, when trying any sort of ”critical listening” I’ve found just laying back and listening to the music as a whole, once you start focusing on bass detail or any specific part of the mix we have the ability to pull that forward …
Just gave Ringo it a listen and luckily I hear them too :relaxed:. Great track btw.

I have a somewhat same experience. For years I liked to play The Trinity Sessions by Cowboy Junkies. Not only a damn good recording, but also damn good music imho. After purchasing DAVE for the first time I heard the airconditioner fan squeaking at the back of the church were they recorded the album. Most noticeable at the beginning of the track "Mining for gold".

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #13,762 of 18,535
That’s the difference between “volume matched A/B testing“ and extended listening, brighter, sharper sound impresses initially but eventually fatiguing, a slightly “softer, more mellow” sound with a more noise free background reveals the delicate decay of instruments ….
I'm not convinced about the value of A/B testing compared to longer term listening. I notice changes when things are removed more than when they are added and rapid switching back and forth between components can be difficult to assess. I agree that some aspects might initially impress but do not work for extended listening (and that is what my system is for - not for critical listening and comparing different components).

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #13,763 of 18,535
I'm not convinced about the value of A/B testing compared to longer term listening. I notice changes when things are removed more than when they are added and rapid switching back and forth between components can be difficult to assess. I agree that some aspects might initially impress but do not work for extended listening (and that is what my system is for - not for critical listening and comparing different components).
I’ve always maintained that the M Scaler does not show its ‘true colours’ in simple A/B testing.

IMO, you have to ‘live with it’ to appreciate its impact. Once you live with it for a while, and then take it out of the chain, it’s only then that you appreciate its prowess.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #13,764 of 18,535
I'm not interested in taking that approach. I don't want to discuss the minutiae of technical detail on forums ad nauseum - it's just not for me. If that's your thing, then please crack on. I am not judging you. But I personally don't want to take that approach to music. If all you are focused on is the technical detail, then at what point do you enjoy the music itself?!

And out of curiosity, how do they measure better? What precisely is being measured? By whom? Using what? Where is this comparative list so everyone can see? One person is doing the measuring of all DACs using the same equipment?

I don't even want to know the answers to those questions - that's exactly the road I am not interested in walking down. I just want to listen to music and chill out.

I'm not even a Chord hater. I've heard music through their DACs, TT2 and HMS and liked it. All this stress for nothing.

Sorry I've got so worked up. Will leave it there. Didn't intend to derail the thread

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #13,765 of 18,535
I am using the dual bnc cables with my scaler and Chord qutest....seems red high upsample sonically is my sweet spot....the max mode seems to thin it out a tad....

Figure most people use m scaler with tt2 or dave but are majority of people using upgraded bnc cables....I only upgraded to blue jean bnc ...wondering if more weight with any other bnc cable upgrade.....qutest without m scaler has more weight.....

Most people use stock power supply.....thought of a sbooster power supply for m scaler but heard farad3 better still?

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #13,766 of 18,535
I am using the dual bnc cables with my scaler and Chord qutest....seems red high upsample sonically is my sweet spot....the max mode seems to thin it out a tad....

Figure most people use m scaler with tt2 or dave but are majority of people using upgraded bnc cables....I only upgraded to blue jean bnc ...wondering if more weight with any other bnc cable upgrade.....qutest without m scaler has more weight.....

Most people use stock power supply.....thought of a sbooster power supply for m scaler but heard farad3 better still?
Hi, I am using upgraded BNC cables, you probably know what I am going to say though, sorry, but see if you can get a trial set and have a listen. I also 'upgraded' PSU on mscaler to a linear power supply. I use the inverted commas. as some do not view it as an upgrade, so again personal preference. For me the upgraded cables gave a darker presentation and I felt the LPSU gave the image more depth. But as always YMMV.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #13,767 of 18,535
Hi, I am using upgraded BNC cables, you probably know what I am going to say though, sorry, but see if you can get a trial set and have a listen. I also 'upgraded' PSU on mscaler to a linear power supply. I use the inverted commas. as some do not view it as an upgrade, so again personal preference. For me the upgraded cables gave a darker presentation and I felt the LPSU gave the image more depth. But as always YMMV.

Which bnc and lpsu did you end up buying?

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #13,768 of 18,535
Anyone think any new/revised MScaler will/should also include a streaming capability ?

Chord clearly make superb DACs/Scalers, but are a fair way behind providing a reference streamer.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #13,769 of 18,535
Anyone think any new/revised MScaler will/should also include a streaming capability ?

Chord clearly make superb DACs/Scalers, but are a fair way behind providing a reference streamer.
If you believe Chard is behind in streaming technology, I wouldn’t think you’d want it bundled into a reference product, increasing the price but not satisfying the need. Also, while a really good all-in-one device can be elegant and practical, the best performance usually requires separate components.

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #13,770 of 18,535
Also, while a really good all-in-one device can be elegant and practical, the best performance usually requires separate components.
Well, MSB, dCS, NAIM, LINN just to as an example, provide steaming inputs and cards in all their DAC products. Not sure why Chord don’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back