Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #12,676 of 18,448
Probably you mixed up bnc cables on TT2 side. Switch them.
i thought tt2 agnostic regarding which cable was attached to which connector and the software inside worked out what needed to take place...

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #12,677 of 18,448
i thought tt2 agnostic regarding which cable was attached to which connector and the software inside worked out what needed to take place...
Yes. But when you switch upsmapling to lower than white then only one bnc output is active. And then TT2 can lost it's connection.
Because TT2 you set to BNC 1 in dual datamode both BNCs are working.
But when you mix cables what is happening you change to bypass and onlyu one bnc cable is working - BNC2 and that's why TT2 is not receiving any data because your input is on BNC1.

So when we are talking full upsampling - order of connecting cables on TT2 it's not important. But when considering lower upsampling modes and being able to do fast switch for A/B tests purposes then the connection order is important.

Fun fact Dave hasn't got channel recognition so when you mix up M Scaler cables on Dave input your left and right channels are going to be switched.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #12,678 of 18,448
Yes. But when you switch upsmapling to lower than white then only one bnc output is active. And then TT2 can lost it's connection.
Because TT2 you set to BNC 1 in dual datamode both BNCs are working.
But when you mix cables what is happening you change to bypass and onlyu one bnc cable is working - BNC2 and that's why TT2 is not receiving any data because your input is on BNC1.

So when we are talking full upsampling - order of connecting cables on TT2 it's not important. But when considering lower upsampling modes and being able to do fast switch for A/B tests purposes then the connection order is important.

Fun fact Dave hasn't got channel recognition so when you mix up M Scaler cables on Dave input your left and right channels are going to be switched.
Thank you, I was suffering from that exact problem and I just fixed it.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #12,679 of 18,448
I've retired for the night. Will try switching them tomorrow but thanks! Pretty sure I matched 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 when I installed the BNCs. But then I saw 2 different pictures on 2 different online manuals for the TT2 - one showing BNC 1 and BNC 2 in that order from outer to inner and the other, opposite that.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #12,680 of 18,448
DJJEZ, you’re a man after my own heart sir. Why it was just the day before yesterday that my trophy wife and our 5.5yr old reminded me that we are trying to buy a new house this spring, and that getting the Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s would be, in the words of our young daughter, “stupid”. What do kids know anyway? I totally concur that using Sbooster’s on your HMS/TT2 combo is a good value for money decision.
Well, I have the trophy wife, so I guess I need the S-Booster to make my life complete...

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #12,683 of 18,448
Well, I have the trophy wife, so I guess I need the S-Booster to make my life complete...
Gadget67, what a coincidence, because I have a trophy wife too. 😀 The Sbooster’s haven’t done anything to improve her cooking sad to say.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #12,686 of 18,448
Do you guys leave the MScaler on 24/7? Why didn't Chord put an on/off switch?
Before I began using a 12 volt battery, I left it on because there is no on/off switch. It does power down to just one light so I assume that’s a resting/sleep state. Once I began using the battery, I simply turn the battery off which (obviously) powers the M-Scaler down. I have no idea why there is no on/off switch.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #12,688 of 18,448
Do you guys leave the MScaler on 24/7? Why didn't Chord put an on/off switch?

This is is annoying. It's part of my home cinema so wish I could turn off the lights but you can't without unplugging it.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #12,689 of 18,448
This is is annoying. It's part of my home cinema so wish I could turn off the lights but you can't without unplugging it.
Mine goes down to one light in rest mode and you can dim the lights. Still a pain though...
172DE948-5944-464E-95AF-975C050F58ED.png

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #12,690 of 18,448
DJJEZ, I plug all of my audio gear into an Audioquest PowerQuest 2 surge protector and line conditioner. If I’m not going to be listening for several hours, I mean like more then eight, I simply flip the on/off on the PowerQuest. No big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back