Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #12,136 of 18,496
Hi Chord M Scaler Owners,

Just want to add that the Wave Fidelity Storm digital BNC cables I have connected from my Chord Blu MK1 CD Transporter (single 1.2m long connection) to my M Scaler and from M Scaler to my DAVE (twin 1m long connections) and the sound has yet again improved further from when I added the M Scaler to the DAVE.

More "meat on the bone" / analogue sound, tamed upper treble (no sibilance at all now I had experienced before on some high treble recordings) yet the treble is still highly detailed, better soundstage and instrument separation and more definition in the bass. Highly recommended.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #12,137 of 18,496
Hi Chord M Scaler Owners,

Just want to add that the Wave Fidelity Storm digital BNC cables I have connected from my Chord Blu MK1 CD Transporter (single 1.2m long connection) to my M Scaler and from M Scaler to my DAVE (twin 1m long connections) and the sound has yet again improved further from when I added the M Scaler to the DAVE.

More "meat on the bone" / analogue sound, tamed upper treble (no sibilance at all now I had experienced before on some high treble recordings) yet the treble is still highly detailed, better soundstage and instrument separation and more definition in the bass. Highly recommended.
Darker?

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #12,138 of 18,496

I think of darker as less bright, more body to the music. The HF on filter on the Dave or other Chord dacs has this effect. As far as the mscaler, connecting a Poweradd has this effect too. A darker sound sometimes feels like it has less detail but that’s because it changes the balance. Music should end up sounding more natural and less fatiguing.

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #12,139 of 18,496
I think of darker as less bright, more body to the music. The HF on filter on the Dave or other Chord dacs has this effect. As far as the mscaler, connecting a Poweradd has this effect too. A darker sound sometimes feels like it has less detail but that’s because it changes the balance. Music should end up sounding more natural and less fatiguing.
What a pity the M Scaler is now regarded by so many as fatiguing and artificially bright.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #12,142 of 18,496
I‘m taking a break from upsampling and mega tap filters and listening to whatever Qobuz and Tidal present to me. Even if it’s MQA.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #12,143 of 18,496
What a pity the M Scaler is now regarded by so many as fatiguing and artificially bright.

Actually I find the stock power supply just fine. There was just so much talk of RFI and not very got descriptions of what removing it sounds like. First I got around 2m length Blue Jean bnc cables for $40. Not sure I heard much difference in sound but they fit better. And then for about $100 I picked up the Poweradd. It’s subtle difference but does provide a nice improvement.

The length of the cable and use of power bank were both mentioned by Rob to reduce or eliminate RFI without having to spend crazy money.

Another improvement in sound had to do with feeding mscaler improved usb connection. Old Mac mini running OS from usb SSD drive had the worse sound. Not sure if having the SSD usb drive was actually making it worse since constantly using the other USB port. But have Intel NUC roon core and doesn’t sound too bad but hear noticeable improvement from my Stack Audio Link II streamer. More depth and soundstage improvement. Really only bought streamer to have reliable roon endpoint. Wasn’t expecting difference in sound.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #12,144 of 18,496
Actually I find the stock power supply just fine. There was just so much talk of RFI and not very got descriptions of what removing it sounds like. First I got around 2m length Blue Jean bnc cables for $40. Not sure I heard much difference in sound but they fit better. And then for about $100 I picked up the Poweradd. It’s subtle difference but does provide a nice improvement.

The length of the cable and use of power bank were both mentioned by Rob to reduce or eliminate RFI without having to spend crazy money.

Another improvement in sound had to do with feeding mscaler improved usb connection. Old Mac mini running OS from usb SSD drive had the worse sound. Not sure if having the SSD usb drive was actually making it worse since constantly using the other USB port. But have Intel NUC roon core and doesn’t sound too bad but hear noticeable improvement from my Stack Audio Link II streamer. More depth and soundstage improvement. Really only bought streamer to have reliable roon endpoint. Wasn’t expecting difference in sound.
Never listened to a comparison but reading up before I built my PC based server it was suggested to use a different Bus for input and output,
was your SSD drive connected via USB C port ?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #12,145 of 18,496
Never listened to a comparison but reading up before I built my PC based server it was suggested to use a different Bus for input and output,
was your SSD drive connected via USB C port ?

It was an old Mac mini with just usb A ports. Thought SSD drive would help but think only if it was internal. Usb sound terrible out it and really only used optical out. I figure usb was just worse than optical in general. But then tried old MacBook Pro and felt usb was actually better. The MacBook was old and dying so that’s how I end up with the Stack Audio. Just looking for quality usb streamer. Didn’t want to build my own RPi.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #12,146 of 18,496
The beginning of CSI

16068766620285147792459403533474.jpg

Btw, the trifield meter was used by the scientists in

https://www.history.com/shows/the-secret-of-skinwalker-ranch

had spent sometimes as a scientists, for those who were concerned, keep the HMS 6" away from you is just fine.

However, have sex, oh, no...no, activities on hp were more harmful than the HMS.

And router was much more dangerous than the HMS. At least 10' away from you.

If you have everything on the desktop, keep all the power cables, SMPS, at least 18" away from you.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #12,147 of 18,496
Anyone using really short dual BNC cables they can recommend to try out? I've found the posts discussing merits of 1m vs 2m cables - but nothing on shorter than 05.m. I'm looking for input on something that will clean up the back of my tt2/ms stack. Like 6 in. Or even better, a right angle set that just goes directly with no hang in the back.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #12,148 of 18,496
Anyone using really short dual BNC cables they can recommend to try out? I've found the posts discussing merits of 1m vs 2m cables - but nothing on shorter than 05.m. I'm looking for input on something that will clean up the back of my tt2/ms stack. Like 6 in. Or even better, a right angle set that just goes directly with no hang in the back.

I use 1 metre one’s, but asking questions about cables is like kicking a bee’s nest, replace bee’s by “balls” and nest with “in thu”

The last of the mohicans soundtrack is very good, the main song I mean.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #12,149 of 18,496
Plenty places sell short well made BNC leads. These are just an example:

https://www.designacable.com/catalo...mme-75ohm-plasma-coax-cable-cctv-video-spdif/

You need to be careful with any such cable that you do not bend it too sharply; most cables have a minimum bending radius specified which you should not exceed. This is typically a few times the diameter of the cable. So right angle bends are not good. And some cables are much less flexible than others.

Perhaps ironically the 2m cables that Rob preferred to 1m ones were nothing special cables from Farnell, and thus attenuated high frequencies. “Better” cables are often better at not attenuating high frequencies (so they can be used in long cable runs without loss), but they then might be less suitable for TT2 - M Scaler.

It does seem disappointing to design two products that cannot be connected optimally and elegantly and at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #12,150 of 18,496
Plenty places sell short well made BNC leads. These are just an example:

https://www.designacable.com/catalo...mme-75ohm-plasma-coax-cable-cctv-video-spdif/

You need to be careful with any such cable that you do not bend it too sharply; most cables have a minimum bending radius specified which you should not exceed. This is typically a few times the diameter of the cable. So right angle bends are not good. And some cables are much less flexible than others.

Perhaps ironically the 2m cables that Rob preferred to 1m ones were nothing special cables from Farnell, and thus attenuated high frequencies. “Better” cables are often better at not attenuating high frequencies (so they can be used in long cable runs without loss), but they then might be less suitable for TT2 - M Scaler.

It does seem disappointing to design two products that cannot be connected optimally and elegantly and at a reasonable price.
this is interesting, regarding energy levels observable in a dac when connected different ways.
Processor intensive computers will create a lot of energy that will be conducted it seems ... maybe only eay to connect processor intensive computer to a rfi sensitive dac would be via a non conductable cable - ie optical. I’m way out of my depth however lol, I do have opto dx and i enjoy listening to music with it.
https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/blogs/news/sound-quality-rf-energy-best-inputs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back