Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #11,971 of 18,493
My experiences do agree. At first it doesn't seem like the sound is much improved. But when, after a couple of songs you try to go back to listening without m-scaler, it is like the music is somehow dry, although prior to M-scaler you were not aware this might be the case. Mind you, I've only had my m-scaler for 3 days. But once you start listening to music you can't stop. you can listen to music without it, but once you do try it, it's hard to let it go.

Good review. This is a quote which I totally agree with:
Thank you very much Guys! It remains to be seen when I receive the MScaler that I have ordered ..

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #11,972 of 18,493
Good morning. Below is a complete analysis of the Chord M Scaler. I would like to ask, do the experiences of those who use this device agree with the analysis described in the article?

https://audiobacon.net/2019/05/31/chord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-review-digital-disruption/?amp=1

Very long article and review lol. But I think I've had the M Scaler for two months now? And in my opinion the change isn't large/drastic, and can even be subtle enough *at times* that it can be hard to pin point the differences. With that said, the way it improves the music and listening experience is very much welcome (realism, separation within the music & imaging). I honestly think it's overpriced for what it does, but I picked it up used and don't have any intent of letting it go.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #11,973 of 18,493
OYAIDE FTVS-510
5N Silver 75 Ohm Cable
Hi naynay, I am thinking about making my own ferrited cables using all the info you have given. Currently I am still using the stock BNC’s with clip on ferrites. I have a couple of questions, I have found the Oyaide cables and connectors on the Analogue seduction website, but do you start with the bare cable and connectors. Then do you add the ferrites and O’rings, and the last thing is to solder the connectors on, or do you order the cable with connectors, remove one end, add ferrites and O’rings, then solder just the one end? The bare cable I see on the website, how do you know what to separate, and where to solder it to on the connector? I live in Canada, so I am also not sure if there are better places to source all the components?

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #11,974 of 18,493
Very long article and review lol. But I think I've had the M Scaler for two months now? And in my opinion the change isn't large/drastic, and can even be subtle enough *at times* that it can be hard to pin point the differences. With that said, the way it improves the music and listening experience is very much welcome (realism, separation within the music & imaging). I honestly think it's overpriced for what it does, but I picked it up used and don't have any intent of letting it go.
Good morning.

Let me ask you: with which dac do you use MScaler, and where do you listen to music from? Flow, (Tidal, qobuz), or stored; and in what resolution?

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #11,975 of 18,493
Good morning.

Let me ask you: with which dac do you use MScaler, and where do you listen to music from? Flow, (Tidal, qobuz), or stored; and in what resolution?

Hugo 2 and the Dave. I wish I could draw a comparison between the Dave w/the M Scaler and the Hugo 2/Mscaler, but the Dave/Mscaler pairing has been so good that I just haven't compared what it sounds like without the Mscaler or against the Hugo 2 just yet. So again, worth keeping imo. Also, when listening critically I typically use Tidal and Apple Music. I do also have a lot of stored music from over the years, spanning across various resolutions.. but I mainly listen to those songs via speakers and not my headphone system.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #11,976 of 18,493
I have to say , that the time I’ve owned the m scaler I’ve never tapped my feet so much listening to my music, it’s addictive , what an astonishing product. When I look back over the last 5 or 6 years how far digital audio has improved, brilliant. And the TT2 is a total bargain, no it’s not as good as a Dave but it’s worth every penny in comparison to anything out there at the price point. Upgraded power supply for the m scaler is the next step for experimentation, but I think at this level I would trust my ears, as there is a big variation in quality and price point with people who have opinions on these products, it’s essential to audition at home with your own kit and room etc.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #11,977 of 18,493
I have to say , that the time I’ve owned the m scaler I’ve never tapped my feet so much listening to my music, it’s addictive , what an astonishing product. When I look back over the last 5 or 6 years how far digital audio has improved, brilliant. And the TT2 is a total bargain, no it’s not as good as a Dave but it’s worth every penny in comparison to anything out there at the price point. Upgraded power supply for the m scaler is the next step for experimentation, but I think at this level I would trust my ears, as there is a big variation in quality and price point with people who have opinions on these products, it’s essential to audition at home with your own kit and room etc.
I will definitely be the final judge, through the hearing. As I listen from hifi system through the floor speakers. When I receive it (unfortunately it will be late, due to covid), I will be able to have my own opinion. You are right that space plays a very big role. Mine has been measured by a professional, and the speakers are installed correctly.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #11,978 of 18,493
Hugo 2 and the Dave. I wish I could draw a comparison between the Dave w/the M Scaler and the Hugo 2/Mscaler, but the Dave/Mscaler pairing has been so good that I just haven't compared what it sounds like without the Mscaler just yet. So again, worth keeping imo. Also, when listening critically I typically use Tidal and Apple Music. I do also have a lot of stored music from over the years, spanning across various resolutions.. but I mainly listen to those songs via speakers and not my headphone system.
Thank you very much for the information you gave me.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #11,980 of 18,493
Guys, can you please help. I just bought a second-hand Mscaler and TT2 at the same time - to replace my RME ADI-2 DAC. My source is an Innuos Zen Mk3 with red-book CDs ripped to FLAC files (I also use TIDAL HiFi streaming). My headphones are Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-X and Sony MDR Z1R. The Zen feeds into the USB socket on the Mscaler. I am using dual BNC cables between Mscaler and TT2.

After having read all the great reviews of the MScaler and TT2, I am disappointed to find that the sound quality improvement seems relatively small. My wife can't tell any difference from the RME DAC! Myself, I think the MScaler/TT2 combination is a bit more realistic, with better timbre and less "digital", but the difference seems much more subtle than I was expecting.

Is this normal? Is it possible I have not got things set up correctly? The Mscaler and TT2 seem to be working as normal - all the usual coloured lights on etc. Maybe I was expecting too much?

I have heard/seen a Youtube video where an MScaler is switched in and out and you can hear the improvement made by the Mscaler even over a Youtube video!

Any advice/comments would be welcome!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #11,981 of 18,493
Guys, can you please help. I just bought a second-hand Mscaler and TT2 at the same time - to replace my RMA ADI-2 DAC. My source is an Innuos Zen Mk3 with red-book CDs ripped to FLAC files (I also use TIDAL HiFi streaming). My headphones are Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-X and Sony MDR Z1R. The Zen feeds into the USB socket on the Mscaler. I am using dual BNC cables between Mscaler and TT2.

After having read all the great reviews of the MScaler and TT2, I am disappointed to find that the sound quality improvement seems relatively small. My wife can't tell any difference from the RME DAC! Myself, I think the MScaler/TT2 combination is a bit more realistic, with better timbre and less "digital", but the difference seems much more subtle than I was expecting.

Is this normal? Is it possible I have not got things set up correctly? The Mscaler and TT2 seem to be working as normal - all the usual coloured lights on etc. Maybe I was expecting too much?

I have heard/seen a Youtube video where an MScaler is switched in and out and you can hear the improvement made by the Mscaler even over a Youtube video!

Any advice/comments would be welcome!

Have you clicked the button on the front of the mScaler so that it’s at Max upsampling?

Could just be brain burn in too and you’ll need time to adjust.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #11,985 of 18,493
Video button is definitely off.
When I switch on and the TT2 goes through its setup sequence - various things are shown on the screen of the TT2 including "DBNC" - so I guess both BNC inputs are being detected. Last message displayed on the TT2 is "705" - does that mean it is running at 705kHz and that is what it should do with max upscaling on the Mscaler?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back