Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #11,776 of 18,489
I hope so too! By the way, does anyone know how to blank the display of the Blu transport so it doesn’t keep showing the goofy “No disc” message when you’re playing through USB. Really, how hard could it be to have it show the input playing or bit rate or simply an option to blank it out (thank God the garish display on the Dave can be turned off — at night it lights up my listening room like a Christmas tree!).
or wait till dave 2.0 comes out and most of the same people telling you to get the dave NOW will be telling you that dave 2.0 finally lets them hear the music......we are all chasing the final ten percent possibly less so if you got cash to burn get it now otherwise maybe be happy with what you got and when Dave 2.0 comes out you can get that........

alternatively since the Dave is five years old and I am sure Chord will want to strike back at Dcs Rossini and others in 2021 when Dave 2.0 comes out you can get an original Chord Dave for probably less than 5K USD as many people with audio nervosa sell their Dave like rats jumping a burning ship.
unless Rb Watts is lying to us he hasnt even begun to plot a successor to the dave....If true the dave will be the flagship model for some time

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #11,778 of 18,489
DCS nipping at chords heels big time

What makes you think that? Please see my earlier post. Have you actually compared a well setup Dave and Mscaler with a dcs dac?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #11,779 of 18,489
unless Rb Watts is lying to us he hasnt even begun to plot a successor to the dave....If true the dave will be the flagship model for some time

Yes to confirm design work on Dave 2 is not on my horizon at present. And projects take a minimum of 18 months to go from concept to start of production; Dave took more than 3 years.

I am extremely careful how I post and what I post, and try to be as clear, accurate and honest as I can.

Why? Because generally people believe in what I post, and trust is very hard to earn and extremely easy to lose.

If I were to post one falsehood, it's like losing your virginity; once lost, always lost.

Of course they are not talking about it. Dave is long in the teeth... DCS nipping at chords heels big time... watts is obviously going to deny.... c’mon get real. Dave 2 by 2022. 100%

dCS certainly is not nipping at Chords heels - the design philosophy is chalk and cheese; they are trying to do very different things to what I am doing. If you prefer dCS now over Chord, then that opinion won't change with newer designs from me - it will take something else to change your mind.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #11,781 of 18,489
As someone new to m scaler do most people set and forget the setting to upscale to 16X?

Is there a recommended low cost bnc cable upgrade from the stock bnc cable?
I just leave my MScaler in full upsampling. The only setting to beware of is the Video mode. In my opinion you want this off. If you set it to Automatic then 48kHz recordings, which aren’t uncommon, can auto-switch to lower latency upsampling, which doesn’t sound as good.

These cables from Farnell work fine. Rob has said recently that the 2m ones may sound a bit better. There’s no need to pay silly money. It only takes a couple of minutes to strip and terminate a BNC cable.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg00541/bnc-plug-to-plug-1m/dp/AV14130#

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg00542/bnc-to-bnc-plug-gold-2m/dp/AV14131

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #11,784 of 18,489
Aug 26, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #11,785 of 18,489
I've mentioned this in the Hugo TT2 thread but the question is more appropriate here.

Assuming I am keeping my Hugo 2 for transportable use regardless of which of the following upgrade paths I choose, would you say that I am better off adding an M Scaler to my Hugo 2 for home desktop use, using my V281 as an amplifier, or should I buy the Hugo TT2 instead for use standalone DAC/AMP or paired with my V281, but without an M Scaler?

Therefore;

Hugo 2 (office transportable)
Hugo 2 (DAC)
M Scaler
V281 (Balanced AMP)

vs.

Hugo TT2 (DAC/AMP)
V281 (Balanced AMP)

I've seen the odd review which states hat Qutest/Hugo 2 + MScaler is 'better' than TT2 solo, but TT2 with MScaler is better again.

Keen to hear from those who have come to this cross-roads before as I am not yet comfortable buying both TT2 and M Scaler.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #11,786 of 18,489
Aug 26, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #11,787 of 18,489
Yes to confirm design work on Dave 2 is not on my horizon at present. And projects take a minimum of 18 months to go from concept to start of production; Dave took more than 3 years.

I am extremely careful how I post and what I post, and try to be as clear, accurate and honest as I can.

Why? Because generally people believe in what I post, and trust is very hard to earn and extremely easy to lose.

If I were to post one falsehood, it's like losing your virginity; once lost, always lost.

dCS certainly is not nipping at Chords heels - the design philosophy is chalk and cheese; they are trying to do very different things to what I am doing. If you prefer dCS now over Chord, then that opinion won't change with newer designs from me - it will take something else to change your mind.
Your telling me that Dave 2 is 23/24? I simply don’t believe it rob unless chord plans to get left in the dust.

Also.... have you had issues with the headphone jack in Dave failing? That final push to lock In place sees to require more force than usual.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #11,788 of 18,489
Also.... have you had issues with the headphone jack in Dave failing? That final push to lock In place sees to require more force than usual.

I had a headphone that worked fine out of either 1/4 jack on the TT2, but it would not work out of my Dave, lots of distortion. My other headphone worked out of TT2 and Dave fine. I replaced the formers original cable with a third party cable, and all was fine. I have one caveat though in as much that I cannot physically insert the jack into Dave, so rely on others to do it for me. I’ve had this distortion happen just a couple of times recently, and in each case taking the jack out and pushing firmly back in has resolved the issue. The original cable that wouldn’t work out of Dave though was definitely pushed home firmly, several times, so am convinced it was a problem with Dave, with that particular jack, even though it never gave a problem with TT2.

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #11,789 of 18,489
I've mentioned this in the Hugo TT2 thread but the question is more appropriate here.

Assuming I am keeping my Hugo 2 for transportable use regardless of which of the following upgrade paths I choose, would you say that I am better off adding an M Scaler to my Hugo 2 for home desktop use, using my V281 as an amplifier, or should I buy the Hugo TT2 instead for use standalone DAC/AMP or paired with my V281, but without an M Scaler?

Therefore;

Hugo 2 (DAC)
M Scaler
V281 (Balanced AMP)

vs.

Hugo TT2 (DAC/AMP)
V281 (Balanced AMP)

I've seen the odd review which states hat Qutest/Hugo 2 + MScaler is 'better' than TT2 solo, but TT2 with MScaler is better again.

Keen to hear from those who have come to this cross-roads before as I am not yet comfortable buying both TT2 and M Scaler.

Thanks.
Why do you need the V281? The headphones you have listed in your sign can be driven fine by Hugo2 or TT2. If you just like the sound, it might be better to go for the mScaler first and see what that adds. If you are willing to try for increased transparency and forego the extra amp, I find TT2 to have a much fuller tonality than Hugo2.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #11,790 of 18,489
Your telling me that Dave 2 is 23/24? I simply don’t believe it rob unless chord plans to get left in the dust.

What you have to understand is that i think chord will come up with 3 million taps than 5 and so on...thats what i think?! M-scaler that is....?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• ecwl
Back