Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #11,071 of 18,489
Haha, this is not on-topic at all but have to agree with your characterization of that album. Man, I haven't listened to that album since I got it as a new release on vinyl when in college.

But then The Clash albums all sound great so it’s not punk in general. Also Bob Mould’s band Sugar really improves a lot with the mscaler. Those albums are like a wall of electric guitars and the mscaler makes them an enjoyable listen. Think it did same for Jesus and Mary Chain’s first album. Used to have hard time making it all the way thru that album.

May 27, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #11,072 of 18,489
sadly the bob mould stuff is brickwalled with no dynamic range

May 29, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #11,074 of 18,489
Anyone looking for the Nvidia Shield Pro to link to there MScaler I have just had my delivery of one.
Not sure if any are still available though.

May 29, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #11,076 of 18,489
What's special about this cable opposed to other toslinks you have tried?

I have a Chord Company optical and I’ve compared that to the one that came with it and a cheap old of radio shack one. With the Hugo 2, I could hear differences but not sure noticeable with the mscaler to Dave.

Now optical over the stock usb cable is easy to tell the difference and optical is much better.

May 29, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #11,081 of 18,489
I knew it! I didn't like the sound of toslink on my tt2/ms or my dave/ms. I will get that toslink you mentioned and try again, but I ain't scared of no "EM/RF interference/noise".

I wouldn't bet money on a blind A/B vs USB but the Lifatec is a great toslink plus fairly cheap, worth a try!

May 31, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #11,085 of 18,489
Is a Network Streamer an improvement with a Chord DAVE/Mscaler - Roon Core on QNAP Setup?

I have the above configuration QNAP TS-473 16GB of ram, both Roon and music on SSDs, and I don't run anything apart from Roon on the NAS.

I have tried Pro-ject Ultra Stream 2, degraded the sound and the Auralic Aries G1 no difference from going direct from the QNAP via USB into the Mscaler.

My understanding of the recommended Roon architecture is that the Core and Output should be separate, which in this case it is as the Mscaler is the output and separated from the DAVE via dual BNCs.

I've read various reviews saying the DCS Network Bridge improves the sound of the DAVE when streaming, however they did not have an MScaler in the setup. Does anyone have a similar DAVE/Mscaler setup and addding a network streamer improved the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back