Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 23, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #11,056 of 18,489
I've download a bunch of hi-res recordings from Presto—all highest quality.

And if you want to stay up to speed on new classical releases, the Presto weekly email newsletter is great.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #11,057 of 18,489
I've download a bunch of hi-res recordings from Presto—all highest quality.

And if you want to stay up to speed on new classical releases, the Presto weekly email newsletter is great.
Yes, I’m already signed up for the newsletter email, and I have in the past paid for some dirt-cheap downloads from Brilliant Classics by following through on some of the email links - credit to Rob Watts for previously promoting on head-fi this source of affordable classical music.

My concern came from reading at various times on various threads that there can be an issue with hi-res downloads being from different generations of master (if that’s the correct way of putting it). Anyway, I’ve now bought a couple of Chandos recordings from this offer and they sound great.

May 24, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #11,059 of 18,489
Just enjoying the live Yo Yo Ma concert on YouTube. iMac Optical Out->M Scaler->Opto-DX->DAVE. All things considered the audio quality is quite decent. The audio engineers at WCRB in Boston really know what they're doing.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #11,061 of 18,489
For nearly 2 years I’ve been using amphenol RF bnc cables first between my hugo 2 and mscaler and since last September from the mscaler to my TT2. These cables were given the thumbs up on the blu 2 thread and cost £70. I was in two minds as to the improvements further expenditure on bnc cables could bring. That changed once I replaced the amphenol cables with the WAVE High Fidelity Stream Premium dual bnc cables.

I was given a no pressure home trial on these. I recall a large elegant wooden box and wondering what is this when they arrived. My inner gut reaction when the box was opened was a silent “wow”. These are not cables but actually resemble and are indeed a hifi component. The construction with ferrites and braiding, the connectors and overall impression is an item that must have taken meticulous attention to design.

Compared to the amphenol RF cables 4 main areas of improvement. The overall presentation of the music is more refined, more sophisticated, very natural as if previously something was slightly out of tune and finally instead of the music just engaging you now and with the right recording it grips you.

The WAVE cables in effect replace or emulate the output that you would get with a battery powered mscaler. The ferrites are designed to eliminate the troublesome “frequencies” and this has come about through extensive testing. With the WAVE bnc option there is no pseudo science but a carefully engineered product. I can also see how Nick’s architectural skills have filtered down into the construction of the cables. They are not that light but the overall construction including the rubber type moulding near the bnc connector result in a rock solid structure throughout. All of this from someone who was in two minds don’t forget. The end result is a step up and my efforts here are now paying off.

Finally as the WAVE cables refine everything to a higher level I feel it’s important to ask yourself what filter on tt2/hugo2 am I using with each album being played? Again the high frequency roll off in these filters also eliminate unwanted noise from the ADC. If I were listening to Norah Jones with a 44khz file I would choose filter 3 warm. The same album through a 96/192khz recording I would use filter 4 i.e. same as 3 but with a high frequency roll off to get rid of noise from the ADC found in high resolution recordings. Switching to electronica or classical I would most likely choose filter 1 incisive at red book cd resolution. The same classical album in a 96/192khz format I would choose filter 2 incisive with a HF roll off. Incisive equates to 256FS i.e. 256 times the sample rate for the most accurate timing and warm equates to 16FS less accurate giving the warm tonality. Of course this being a simplistic understanding and explanation. (The cables were propped up as seen below but later I learnt it’s best to just let them settle by themselves unaided).

All in all very happy with my latest acquisition. No further improvements scheduled.

WAVE 2.jpg

WAVE2.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #11,063 of 18,489
For nearly 2 years I’ve been using amphenol RF bnc cables first between my hugo 2 and mscaler and since last September from the mscaler to my TT2. These cables were given the thumbs up on the blu 2 thread and cost £70. I was in two minds as to the improvements further expenditure on bnc cables could bring. That changed once I replaced the amphenol cables with the WAVE High Fidelity Stream Premium dual bnc cables.

I was given a no pressure home trial on these. I recall a large elegant wooden box and wondering what is this when they arrived. My inner gut reaction when the box was opened was a silent “wow”. These are not cables but actually resemble and are indeed a hifi component. The construction with ferrites and braiding, the connectors and overall impression is an item that must have taken meticulous attention to design.

Compared to the amphenol RF cables 4 main areas of improvement. The overall presentation of the music is more refined, more sophisticated, very natural as if previously something was slightly out of tune and finally instead of the music just engaging you now and with the right recording it grips you.

The WAVE cables in effect replace or emulate the output that you would get with a battery powered mscaler. The ferrites are designed to eliminate the troublesome “frequencies” and this has come about through extensive testing. With the WAVE bnc option there is no pseudo science but a carefully engineered product. I can also see how Nick’s architectural skills have filtered down into the construction of the cables. They are not that light but the overall construction including the rubber type moulding near the bnc connector result in a rock solid structure throughout. All of this from someone who was in two minds don’t forget. The end result is a step up and my efforts here are now paying off.

Finally as the WAVE cables refine everything to a higher level I feel it’s important to ask yourself what filter on tt2/hugo2 am I using with each album being played? Again the high frequency roll off in these filters also eliminate unwanted noise from the ADC. If I were listening to Norah Jones with a 44khz file I would choose filter 3 warm. The same album through a 96/192khz recording I would use filter 4 i.e. same as 3 but with a high frequency roll off to get rid of noise from the ADC found in high resolution recordings. Switching to electronica or classical I would most likely choose filter 1 incisive at red book cd resolution. The same classical album in a 96/192khz format I would choose filter 2 incisive with a HF roll off. Incisive equates to 256FS i.e. 256 times the sample rate for the most accurate timing and warm equates to 16FS less accurate giving the warm tonality. Of course this being a simplistic understanding and explanation. (The cables were propped up as seen below but later I learnt it’s best to just let them settle by themselves unaided).

All in all very happy with my latest acquisition. No further improvements scheduled.

Nice to read that you also hear the difference and improvement the Wave cables can make.
Just out of curiosity did you also compare the Stream with the Storm?
Imho Storm goes a bit further in suppressing "troublesome frequencies" than Stream and provides a bit more improvement than Stream even with my humble Qutest/HMS combo.
Slightly fuller and darker and closer to real hi res than Stream in particular with most of my 16/44.1 cd recordings.
With some native hi res recordings I sometimes prefer the Stream though.
Little things that can still make a difference like the filters with recordings I have direct sessions memory of.
As far as the weight is concerned and the pressure they definitely do put on contact points at both ends I keep my Storm cables still supported on paperbacks at each end.
Those "ferrets" are heavy little beasts.
I hope you are happy until your longing for DAVE gets too strong again.
We both know that DAVE still is the ultimate Chord dac don't we?

Cheers CC

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #11,064 of 18,489
But, my ears tell me very clearly that the problem Nick's cables are trying to solve is not resolved by running the HMS from a battery

Not so, according to Rob Watts:

Using a battery on the M scaler means that there is no ground loop into the DAC, so no sensitivity with the BNC cables.

May 25, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #11,067 of 18,489
just a lurker, a poor one i must say, is the m scaler worth it for adding it to the hugo 2? does it make it sound much much better? %?

The M Scaler benefits can certainly be experienced on the Hugo 2. The way it connects, dual BNC to single 3.5mm coaxial in, is slightly kludgy, though it works.

May 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #11,068 of 18,489
May 26, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #11,069 of 18,489
i removed the books//board in the end and just let the cables rest in their natural form and shape as near to the level of desk as possible. with good clearance at the back it's perfect. any attempt to prop the cables up as with those wooden blocks disturbs the flow of the cables causing unwanted pressure on the connectors. i tried all combinations.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #11,070 of 18,489
There are some albums that even with the mscaler just need to be remastered. Hüsker Dü’s last album Warehouse Songs and Stories improves somewhat but there is just such a strange mastering on that album. Very metallic shine and not much dynamic range.
Haha, this is not on-topic at all but have to agree with your characterization of that album. Man, I haven't listened to that album since I got it as a new release on vinyl when in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back