Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 13, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #10,906 of 18,537
Yes I can understand it's easy to bash and make fun of such a thing :)
How it can make a difference sitting before the audio PC that's connected to the M-Scaler that's connected to the DAC is beyond me.
But it does. In my system it makes instruments sound fuller and the whole presentation becomes a bit more vivid and colorful.
It has a nice form factor too. The only negative, as you say, is the heat. I think it gets too warm for a switch.

Hmmn, 'vivid' and 'colouful' are descriptions that I might associate with extra RF noise. I am sat here listening to various different power supplies with the Mscaler and with some the music has a real 'WOW!' factor that makes you sit up and listen to the detail. But then after a minute I just think, "Yep, that is really just more RF noise!" and then I connect a better power supply which is much more relaxed and is much less 'vivid'. All that 'WOW' factor has gone (thank heavens) but I can listen to the whole CD without feeling fatigued.

May 13, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #10,907 of 18,537
May 13, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #10,908 of 18,537
Hmmn, 'vivid' and 'colouful' are descriptions that I might associate with extra RF noise. I am sat here listening to various different power supplies with the Mscaler and with some the music has a real 'WOW!' factor that makes you sit up and listen to the detail. But then after a minute I just think, "Yep, that is really just more RF noise!" and then I connect a better power supply which is much more relaxed and is much less 'vivid'. All that 'WOW' factor has gone (thank heavens) but I can listen to the whole CD without feeling fatigued.

Yes, I’m aware of that risk and have been listening carefully.
Thanks to your many posts on the subject as well as Rob’s and others I have a much better understanding of what to listen for and how to proceed upgrading the system than I had a few years ago. It’s not a WOW factor at all imo.
It’s colorful in a positive, relaxed way. A bit more depth and less harshness too.

May 13, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #10,909 of 18,537
I have the English Electric on order along with a Melco S100 ethernet switch on order for a demo along with some more ethernet cables being delivered this Friday.
If there is enough interest I can report back let me know.
I will be interested with your thoughts as i have looked at this switch also.I did have the Etherregen but it reduces the network to 100MB which slows the process of transferring files to the SSD on the Antipodes Server i have.
I know some will say thats not by much but it is still from 1GB to 100MB.

May 13, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #10,910 of 18,537
May 14, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #10,911 of 18,537
I'm just catching up, so this may have been answered. From what I have found, you have to go into the audio preferrences of each vidio to select 2 channel audio. The settings for the nvidia shield audio don't affect the 5.1 ot other audio streams.

And, if you're using a kodi app, pm me. It's different and I can't get into it here.

I just tried it with 1M taps and it didn’t work Maybe the audio delay is simply too long? It did improve my audio sync slightly with the video mode.
If someone can get this to work with 1M taps, let me know as I can always try it again

May 14, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #10,912 of 18,537
Maybe answered already. Just catching up. BNC is not always crimped. For 75 ohm BNC the center pin is soldered. But again, it could vary by mfg.

You said RCA above. Anyways, BNC's are always crimped.

May 14, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #10,913 of 18,537
I can really recommend trying the UpTone Audio EtherREGEN. Not as cheap but a purpose built switch.
I was very surprised how much of an improvement it made to my system.
The English Electric looks good too. A comparison would be interesting.

Completely agree. It takes about 250 hours to burn in, But is noticeable from the minute you plug it in.
Will never remove it it’s mandatory kit now.
Cleans up the presentation, more relaxed, more left to right spatial precision. If you like MScaler its more of that...

May 14, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #10,914 of 18,537
@Triode User
Forget the Cisco just go straight to the UpTone EtherRegen.

The improved sound of the Cisco is what started UpTone on the almost three year development of the EtherRegen.
They investigated what the Cisco did differently and found it used a separate timing oscillator for each ethernet output, rather than sharing one across many outputs.

So they started a completely bespoke low noise switch design with individual high precision timing oscillators, separate low noise power domains, the lowest noise regulators you can buy, and complete galvanic isolation to one of the outputs and it’s 0v/ground. (Which is why one port is only 100mbps).

And don’t read too much into one of the responses above, it doesnt add RFI like detail, it adds Left to right precision and removes noise. the top end is more relaxed. It’s designed to remove RFI.

And to your scepticism above about different ISPs having different sound quality, that’s what people were reporting - that lossless streamed audio from outside sounded inferior to identical locally stored lossless files. And the EtherRegen eradicated this difference, files streamed externally now sound identical to locally stored files. It has been asserted that it removes ‘Phase noise‘ and ground plane noise coming through from the internet connection or modem, and the rest of your local network.

Whatever the reasons this thing works. Money back 30 day trial, and they have had less than a handful returned from well over 600 shipped.

Once you get your head around this, I know what your next question will be and the answer is yes a quality power supply makes it sound even better and a 7v supply keeps the case temperature down a bit. Plus changes in ethernet cables are more apparent with differences that seem to correlate to the different shielding the cables use. Personally i found Blue Jeans CAT6a, with shields not tied at either end to sound the best, better than the more highly shielded CAT7 and CAT8 which do have their shields tied.

Nick - try this out I know you will like it! Then get a 7v Farad3 power supply for it. :wink:
Or return it for a refund

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #10,915 of 18,537
@Triode User
Forget the Cisco just go straight to the UpTone EtherRegen.

The improved sound of the Cisco is what started UpTone on the almost three year development of the EtherRegen.
They investigated what the Cisco did differently and found it used a separate timing oscillator for each ethernet output, rather than sharing one across many outputs.

So they started a completely bespoke low noise switch design with individual high precision timing oscillators, separate low noise power domains, the lowest noise regulators you can buy, and complete galvanic isolation to one of the outputs and it’s 0v/ground. (Which is why one port is only 100mhz).

And don’t read too much into one of the responses above, it doesnt add RFI like detail, it adds Left to right precision and removes noise. the top end is more relaxed. It’s designed to remove RFI.

And to your scepticism above about different ISPs having different sound quality, that’s what people were reporting - that lossless streamed audio from outside sounded inferior to locally stored lossless files. And the EtherRegen Eradicated this difference, files streamed externally now sound identical to locally stored files. It has been asserted that it removes ‘Phase noise‘ and ground plane noise coming through from the internet connection or modem.

Whatever the reasons this thing works. Money back 30 day trial, and they have had less than a handful returned from hundreds shipped.

Once you get your head around this, I know what your next question will be and the answer is yes a quality power supply makes it sound even better and a 7v supply keeps the case temperature down a bit. Plus changes in ethernet cables are more apparent with differences that seem to correlate to the different shielding the cables use. Personally i found Blue Jeans CAT6a, with shields not tied at either end to sound the best, better than the more highly shielded CAT7 and CAT8 which do have their shields tied.

Nick - try this out I know you will like it! Then get a 7v Farad3 power supply for it. :wink:
Or return it for a refund

Thanks for all that . . . . the uptone stuff does seem to get HOT. I have a LPS-1.2 which I am trying for the Mscaler power and boy does it get HOT. By the way I also have a Farad3 also to try with the Mscaler . . . . the line up is - factory power supply, medical grade SMPS similar to the one in Dave and Blu2 (15v), Power Add battery set to 12v, lead acid car battery (12v), Uptone LPS-1.2 (12v) Farad3 (15v), Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS (15v)

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #10,917 of 18,537
May 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #10,918 of 18,537
I didn’t believe it either so I did a search. Yup @drew911d is right. @thePhones posted it here first...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.885042/post-15331025

Most of us just missed it. But better late than never. I watched Street Food: Asia on Netflix last night and the sound was great with 1 million taps.

who cares? i hadn’t seen it either. but neither did I present the link like I was the first person to ever discover it. and i was talking about Apple TV, not NVIDIA.

weird behavior.

May 14, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #10,919 of 18,537
Thanks for all that . . . . the uptone stuff does seem to get HOT. I have a LPS-1.2 which I am trying for the Mscaler power and boy does it get HOT. By the way I also have a Farad3 also to try with the Mscaler . . . . the line up is - factory power supply, medical grade SMPS similar to the one in Dave and Blu2 (15v), Power Add battery set to 12v, lead acid car battery (12v), Uptone LPS-1.2 (12v) Farad3 (15v), Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS (15v)
A Paul Hynes SR4T-19 would be an interesting addition to that shootout, possibly also with a DXP-1A5DSC https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm. My SR4T-19 (15v) easily beats my Farad3 (15v) with the M Scaler, and improves a useful bit more with the DXP-1A5DSC (pre-reg 13.5v, output 12v). That small DXP unit does run egg-frying hot with the SR4T, but is quite cool and still impressive when fed 16v from a Pilot Pro 5.

May 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #10,920 of 18,537
I have the English Electric on order along with a Melco S100 ethernet switch on order for a demo along with some more ethernet cables being delivered this Friday.

I will be testing on the CX EX combo which seems to do a very good job at filtering my noisy network.

With my Melco N1z the noise is more of an issue.

If there is enough interest I can report back let me know.

Thanks Clive, I am very much interested in your findings. I am running an Antipodes EX with Chord TT2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back