Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 2, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #10,847 of 18,627
Hi guys, I have a chord dave and a friend was kind enough to loan me a chord Mscaler to try out. My source is a USB cable from my SOTM to the mscaler. The mscaler is connected to the dave using dual BNCs. I am choosing USB as the input on the mscaler and BNC 1 as the input on the Dave. On the Dave, it says D BNC1. When I play music, I am hearing some ticks and pops. What am I doing incorrectly here? Any advice is appreciated.

PS: I also tried using inputs 3 & 4, same issue. I also tried eliminating the SOTM out of the equation and plugged in my Intel NUC directly to the chord mscaler, still the issue is happening

Sorry to read that you are having these pops too. I have had it with a brand new DAVE and M Scaler bought a few months ago.
Best to contact your Chord dealer. The M Scaler is fine but my DAVE needed some TLC back at the factory. Apparently there is a small batch of DAVEs that suffer from these micro drop outs due to one small batch of a component that is within spec, yet somehow trips up when DAVE is fed by an M Scaler via dual BNC.

The weird thing for us was that this only happened when feeding M Scaler via USB. All was fine via toslink input. It was a bugger to track down the root cause, as we had to eliminate every other component in the server, network and streamer to narrow it down.

Still, Chord were great about it and there are no longer any pops or clicks anymore.

Hope this helps, FT

May 2, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #10,849 of 18,627
So now I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on cables. I swapped out the stock usb cable with an optical Chord cable company one. Using the mscaler auto input and switching with roon, I was easily able to tell the difference. It’s actually same differences I heard when I just had my Chord Hugo 2. The bass has more impact and bloom and the music has more weight to it. Vocals are a little more prominent. So sticking with optical now.

I also have the Blue Jean bnc cables coming on Monday. At this rate my Focal’s will have a new headphone cable.

So sadly this tells me there is always room for small improvements. But for me, I’m not willing spend large amounts of money to get the last 1%.

Edit: Chord Cable Company is not related to Chord. And I already had this cable on hand.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #10,850 of 18,627
Has anybody tried using the ifi iPurifier 2 with the Mscaler power supply? Also, what about changing the 2-prong AC cable going into the power supply do a shielded cable?

May 2, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #10,851 of 18,627
Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #10,852 of 18,627
1588479306751.png

May 3, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #10,854 of 18,627
So now I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on cables. I swapped out the stock usb cable with an optical Chord cable company one. Using the mscaler auto input and switching with roon, I was easily able to tell the difference. It’s actually same differences I heard when I just had my Chord Hugo 2. The bass has more impact and bloom and the music has more weight to it. Vocals are a little more prominent. So sticking with optical now.

I also have the Blue Jean bnc cables coming on Monday. At this rate my Focal’s will have a new headphone cable.

So sadly this tells me there is always room for small improvements. But for me, I’m not willing spend large amounts of money to get the last 1%.

Edit: Chord Cable Company is not related to Chord. And I already had this cable on hand.
I tried this and found the same, and often connect M Scaler to my Devialet D800 by Toslink. For my M Scaler + DAVE I went a step further and got an Opto-DX. It’s got all the benefits of optical without the loss of resolution. Very compelling.

Be well.

muski

May 3, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #10,855 of 18,627
Thought i would dig out my old Chromecast audio as i wanted to listen to some live streams running through my M Scaler into Dave.I used the Supra ZAC Fibre Optic Mini TosLink cable and i must say this player punches well above.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #10,857 of 18,627

Users who are viewing this thread

Back