Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 8, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #10,084 of 18,516
curious if the experts/skeptics here think there is any place for an Innuos Phoenix in an HMS set up? M-scaler doesn’t require reclocking, right?!
You don't need reclocking. Mscaler reclocks and then all chord DACs reclock again. Modern DACs are immune to variations in upstream timing. If you hear a difference ...there is another mechanism at play

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #10,085 of 18,516
Its an accessory for the Hugo2 so difficult to see how it can be criticised for needing to be connected to a Hugo2. On the Roon matter, won't Roon see the Hugo2 as the endpoint through the 2go and that is Roon Tested.

Hey, yes look at those the new Chord ultimate transparency cables! I bet that has upped the game for the competition.

if 2Go works like Poly, Roon will see the 2Go as the endpoint:

1581173864900.jpeg

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #10,086 of 18,516
curious if the experts/skeptics here think there is any place for an Innuos Phoenix in an HMS set up? M-scaler doesn’t require reclocking, right?!

I spent a pleasant few hours this morning listening to my system with and without the Innuos Phoenix between my Innuos Zenith and my Dave and then with and without the Phoenix when going to Blu2/Dave from the Zenith. Whatever was the mechanism all I can say is that there was a compelling improvement in the sound quality that was easily heard by me and by my friend who came over to listen with me.

I had the Phoenix on home demo from my local Innuos dealer and all I can say if you are interested is to get hold of one and listen for yourself. I did some notes of the listening session which I can PM to you if you wish (it would be OT to post here).

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #10,087 of 18,516
Possibly because the pdf I can open via this link only has 24 pages not 29!

The pdf has 24 pages but if you look at the printed page numbering on each page there are two pages per pdf page. Page 29 has invisible or ‘transparent’ cables in the system shown in the photograph.

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #10,088 of 18,516
The pdf has 24 pages but if you look at the printed page numbering on each page there are two pages per pdf page. Page 29 has invisible or ‘transparent’ cables in the system shown in the photograph.

You caught me there,sloppy attention from me.
The pic reminds me of the kid and the Radio I posted a while ago :"Turn it on boy, turn it on."
You see this kind of sloppy commercial photography sometimes.
I never done any product photography more than for CD covers and liners.
But I can assure you I would NOT have taken a photo of a "biggish" HIFI system not even connected to anything for an advertising shot.

I would have insisted: Turn it on-turn it on boy!

I thought Chord was proud of all those little lights their products emit?

For me personally though it is the Mscaler and what it does to SQ with acoustic music, that made me buy Chord.
Not the lights or the design.

But to be honest HMS needed your not so invisible BNC cables Storm to truly shine!

While we're still a bit OT let me STRONGLY recommend some music that has really impressed me lately. Anoushka Shankar's album Rise!

It sounds absolutely wonderful via my Qutest/HMS and my big electrostatic speakers and amp, provided I have turned everything on and connected the rca cables going from Qutest to my big stereo amplifier and not my headphone amp.
One really annoying thing with my Qutest is that it has only got one pair of rca ports.
I have to do a lot of plugging in and out. Cheeky imo!
My two headphone amps have each got 4 rca ports and my big amp has got no less than 6 rca ports.

But once connected, this album is World Music with a very Indian feel to it, at its very best imho!
Anoushka Shankar plays the Sitar an instrument once described as "smuggled through heaven".
My own addition to that quote would be: And here it is played by an Indian Godess.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #10,090 of 18,516
I had the Phoenix on home demo from my local Innuos dealer and all I can say if you are interested is to get hold of one and listen for yourself.

I had a chance to hear the Phoenix last fall at RMAF and it took maybe 5 seconds to clearly hear the impact it was having. I’ve heard similar with ISO Regen, and a huge lift from SOtM tX-ultra (even more with the special edition and better power).

What the heck can be going on with USB signal that induces any SQ change in HMS or a DAC? My only (piss poor) guess is some sort of induced noise in the USB receiver chipset that is having an impact to the rest of the device.

Bits are all the same, but something in the shape and timing of the digital signal must be having some impact through the USB interface. With everyone using the same (relatively) small variants of commercially available USB receiver chipset, that’s the best smoking gun I can point to.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #10,091 of 18,516
You caught me there,sloppy attention from me.
The pic reminds me of the kid and the Radio I posted a while ago :"Turn it on boy, turn it on."
You see this kind of sloppy commercial photography sometimes.
I never done any product photography more than for CD covers and liners.
But I can assure you I would NOT have taken a photo of a "biggish" HIFI system not even connected to anything for an advertising shot.

I would have insisted: Turn it on-turn it on boy!

I thought Chord was proud of all those little lights their products emit?

For me personally though it is the Mscaler and what it does to SQ with acoustic music, that made me buy Chord.
Not the lights or the design.

But to be honest HMS needed your not so invisible BNC cables Storm to truly shine!

While we're still a bit OT let me STRONGLY recommend some music that has really impressed me lately. Anoushka Shankar's album Rise!

It sounds absolutely wonderful via my Qutest/HMS and my big electrostatic speakers and amp, provided I have turned everything on and connected the rca cables going from Qutest to my big stereo amplifier and not my headphone amp.
One really annoying thing with my Qutest is that it has only got one pair of rca ports.
I have to do a lot of plugging in and out. Cheeky imo!
My two headphone amps have each got 4 rca ports and my big amp has got no less than 6 rca ports.

But once connected, this album is World Music with a very Indian feel to it, at its very best imho!
Anoushka Shankar plays the Sitar an instrument once described as "smuggled through heaven".
My own addition to that quote would be: And here it is played by an Indian Godess.
Cheers CC

I can't find that album but I'm trying another one, and its lovely. Here is one Roon woke me up with at 2am the other day, such a jauntyness, sherlock holmes would enjoy it.

qobuz album

Johan Halvorsen
Per Kristian Skalstad

1581191904841.png

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #10,093 of 18,516
Anoushka is Norah Jones half sister.

1581227570533.png

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #10,094 of 18,516
Where does one find DoP dsd over pcm tracks/albums to download? unless i misunderstand i can't find them anywhere online?

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #10,095 of 18,516
Where does one find DoP dsd over pcm tracks/albums to download? unless i misunderstand i can't find them anywhere online?
DSD over DoP isn’t a format in itself, it’s just a way of transmitting DSD over PCM, rather than transmitting/transferring DSD natively.
DoP basically ‘wraps’ DSD in a PCM container, which is then ‘read’ as DSD by the receiving DAC.
But TBH, you’re wasting your time with DSD with the HMS. All Chord DAC’s, including HMS, convert DSD to PCM anyway, and Rob maintains that ‘M Scaled’ DSD is better than processing DSD natively.
i have a few DSD albums, and with HMS at least, it doesn’t confer any advantages over the corresponding PCM version. Chord DAC’s just ‘work’ in PCM. And it just works! :)

25B7A5AF-1F25-4FCC-B7F3-CDEDC97CC61D.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back