Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #10,021 of 18,480
Even better take the mscaler out of the picture all together and go direct into TT2.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #10,025 of 18,480
So lets listen to m scaled mojo :L3000:
mojomscaledsmall.jpg

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #10,026 of 18,480
You might either have the BNC cables connected wrong (must be out 1-in 1, 2-2), or running through a laptop with software that’s “upsampling” the output to the MScaler (such as Audirvana).
Are you guys able to change the output sample rate with both BNC cables connected to the Hugo TT 2? I can only get the max upscaling. If I remove the second BNC cable, I can get the lower settings. Not that I’m particularly interested in the lower settings, but I would like to toggle through so I can hear the net effect.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #10,027 of 18,480
You might either have the BNC cables connected wrong (must be out 1-in 1, 2-2), or running through a laptop with software that’s “upsampling” the output to the MScaler (such as Audirvana).

I have them connected to the correct inputs/outputs, as verified by Chord. I’m using Qobuz in this particular case, so I don’t think it’s doing any upsampling. Chord has asked me to try using the stock BNC cables rather than the Silver Dragons I’ve been using. I guess I can try that.

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #10,029 of 18,480
quote from watts up thread: "Zero RFI + Zero Ground Loop + Zero noise of any kind + pure black deep background is such a joy".

Ah so there is nothing about microRendus per se, but a general comment about any players / renderers that are not powered by batteries (disconnected from AC power)?

Since dedicated players / renderers are designed to be low noise themselves, as opposed to general purpose computers which are high in generated RFI, Im assuming that battery power is the key aspect for the former?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #10,030 of 18,480
I think we sometimes forget just how good the HMS, and (I for one) sometimes take it for granted.
However, this morning I had an amazing experience. I’ve listened to Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ many times, but I haven’t listened to it since I’ve had TT2/HMS in my system. I had the chance to listen to it straight through, from start to finish this morning, using TT2 in DAC mode, streamed from my Roon Nucleus as 16/44,1 via USB into my system. I sat there, literally jaw-dropped as the power of Waters’ music enveloped me. It was like hearing it all again for the first time.
Absolutely flabbergasted sometimes with what I hear from these two small metal boxes...

Jan 30, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #10,031 of 18,480
Just had another small win on SQ out of my CCA. After a period of experimenting I have been running a CCA setup as described on Darko's site (Ugreen ethernet adapter, ifi ipower power supply). I had been running the ethernet from my Cisco switch. The ethernet connection made a noticeable improvement, but I was less convinced by the benefit of the iPower (but I have not done a lot of switching back and forth).

This evening I remembered that my Zen has a clean ethernet output. I changed the CCA connection from the Cisco to the Zen and the improvement is quite significant. My impressions were that the music is more refined, easier to listen to and has a bit more bass warmth. This is with TT2 only and HD800S. All going well I will add the M scaler later this year, but just trying to get the best possible sound out of what I have now.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #10,032 of 18,480
There is direct reference by Rob when discussing on the dave or blu mk2 thread that the microrendu added RF noise. Battery operated sources on usb are near enough perfect.

For Neil on price vs performance you can't go wrong with my set up especially if you use roon.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #10,033 of 18,480
Just had another small win on SQ out of my CCA. After a period of experimenting I have been running a CCA setup as described on Darko's site (Ugreen ethernet adapter, ifi ipower power supply). I had been running the ethernet from my Cisco switch. The ethernet connection made a noticeable improvement, but I was less convinced by the benefit of the iPower (but I have not done a lot of switching back and forth).

This evening I remembered that my Zen has a clean ethernet output. I changed the CCA connection from the Cisco to the Zen and the improvement is quite significant. My impressions were that the music is more refined, easier to listen to and has a bit more bass warmth. This is with TT2 only and HD800S. All going well I will add the M scaler later this year, but just trying to get the best possible sound out of what I have now.

So you connected the Zen direct to the CCA without a switch in between?

Something else that might be possible for you is that with the Zenith you can set up a squeezebox endpoint within the Zenith and connect the Zenith straight to the DAC using that squeezebox endpoint. Innuos consider this is the better sound quality solution. Is that also possible in the Zen? The instructions of how to set it up are on the Innuos web site.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #10,035 of 18,480
So you connected the Zen direct to the CCA without a switch in between?

Something else that might be possible for you is that with the Zenith you can set up a squeezebox endpoint within the Zenith and connect the Zenith straight to the DAC using that squeezebox endpoint. Innuos consider this is the better sound quality solution. Is that also possible in the Zen? The instructions of how to set it up are on the Innuos web site.

Yes that was how I was running my Zen to start with (combined core and squeezebox endpoint (experimental feature), USB out to DAC with Curious cable).
After some experimentation I found that the CCA with standard power supply and 0.3m wireworld superNova optical cable sounded about the same as the Zen in squeezebox mode, but with improved stability. I found that when I used the in Zen squeezebox mode it didn't always respond to selecting a new track or jumping to the next track. This is presumably because of the internal buffering involved. The problem was usually resolved by pausing the play first and then trying the new track, but even this commonly took a few attempts.

Since then I think I have improved the CCA sound firstly by adding a Ugreen ethernet adapter, perhaps by the ifi power supply (least confident on that), and finally by connecting to the Zens clean ethernet out. I haven't gone back to double check that the current performance is a clear improvement on the Zen standalone.

The nice thing about the Zen is that it is so flexible with how you run it. You can run as a Roon core, as an endpoint, or as both. I have not tried it as a pure endpoint because I need to use it as my core due to the configuration of ethernet infrastructure in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back