Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #9,856 of 18,489
@GreenBow
Not daft.
OptoDx is a galvanic-isolation air gap. By using the same PSU to power both sides defeats this. No matter how low noise a single PSU is, the fact is that a common supply provides a conductive metal (galvanic) connection across the optical bridge ..exactly what you are trying to avoid.
Optodx sips power, <100mA,so it can be used to share, via a Y split, the power for Mscaler or your DAC...but you need a separate PSU for each side.
PM me if you want to delve further...
Dan

Well I meant stoopid because if using iFi DC purifiers worked;

1. It's such a simple solution.
2. Someone would probably already have tried it.

I think if no-one has tried it, someone should. I don't have M-Scaler, otherwise I would try it if I had the OPTO-DX.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #9,857 of 18,489
Dear All,

It has been a wonderful journey reading your experiences. I am on holiday and I found an audio shop where I bought an M Scaler just from reading how it changed the listening experience on this forum.

I am currently using a used Chord Hugo 2 which is close to 3yrs old and I realise that the battery doesn't last as long as it should.

I have some questions which I would appreciate your view. Should I invest in a Hugo TT2 or get another Hugo2 (I found a deal where the Hugo 2 + an Elear) is cheaper than a brand new Hugo 2 in my country. I could then use the "old" H2 in desktop mode connected to the M Scaler and the new H2 (with a 2Go) and use it to travel with or with Roon as an endpoint like what I am doing with my MojoPoly.

Is the upgrade to the TT2 worth the investment as it’s really expensive and also since the Hugo 2 can handle everything the m Scaler sends to it (768khz)?

Another thought is just save for a good pair of cans. I am currently using an LCD2, AEON 2 Closed, Drop 6XX & Drop EE Zeus.

Thank you in advance for your kind feedback and advice. This is truly a great forum.
If you had the money to spare then it’s a good upgrade. In my mind, there is no comparison between the two even though they share similar stats.
I’m still highly enjoying mine on a daily basis.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #9,858 of 18,489
Well I meant stoopid because if using iFi DC purifiers worked;

1. It's such a simple solution.
2. Someone would probably already have tried it.

I think if no-one has tried it, someone should. I don't have M-Scaler, otherwise I would try it if I had the OPTO-DX.

I am using an ifi iPower on the TX side and a 12 volt 36 Ah Gel battery on the RX clean side.

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #9,859 of 18,489
the fact is that a common supply provides a conductive metal (galvanic) connection across the optical bridge ..exactly what you are trying to avoid.
Hi Dan, however it is done, wont there always be a connection via the electricity supply to the house? Unless a battery is used on at least one side of course.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #9,862 of 18,489
Quick query for PC output via USB to M-scaler. What is the best setting? I currently have it at 16 bit 96khz......

Output to the mscaler at whatever is the actual resolution of the file on the pc rather than allowing the PC to upsample.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #9,863 of 18,489
Quick query for PC output via USB to M-scaler. What is the best setting? I currently have it at 16 bit 96khz......
Never use a windows audio output directly to Mscaler. The audio settings for 'shared output', IMO, always resample to that sample rate. So in your case, 44.1k will be converted to 96k before being sent to MScaler. This introduces all kinds of audible time smearing effects.
Always use a dedicated player that does not touch the bitstream.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #9,865 of 18,489
Dear All,

It has been a wonderful journey reading your experiences. I am on holiday and I found an audio shop where I bought an M Scaler just from reading how it changed the listening experience on this forum.

I am currently using a used Chord Hugo 2 which is close to 3yrs old and I realise that the battery doesn't last as long as it should.

I have some questions which I would appreciate your view. Should I invest in a Hugo TT2 or get another Hugo2 (I found a deal where the Hugo 2 + an Elear) is cheaper than a brand new Hugo 2 in my country. I could then use the "old" H2 in desktop mode connected to the M Scaler and the new H2 (with a 2Go) and use it to travel with or with Roon as an endpoint like what I am doing with my MojoPoly.

Is the upgrade to the TT2 worth the investment as it’s really expensive and also since the Hugo 2 can handle everything the m Scaler sends to it (768khz)?

Another thought is just save for a good pair of cans. I am currently using an LCD2, AEON 2 Closed, Drop 6XX & Drop EE Zeus.

Thank you in advance for your kind feedback and advice. This is truly a great forum.

If you can manage the upgrade financially then it is definitely worth it. I was a long time Hugo 2 owner (loved that little box) and now have a TT2.

My anecdotal experiences in what the TT2 adds:

-more power in the amp section to be able to handle pretty much any headphones
-option to grow into a nice little 2 channel set up in the future
-much, much more realism when paired with an mScaler compared to Hugo 2 (or qutest which I also owned)
-Deeper, well controlled bass
-Improved dynamics

I’m sure I’m missing something, but in short it is a significant step up especially when paired with a MS.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #9,866 of 18,489
Hi Dan, however it is done, wont there always be a connection via the electricity supply to the house? Unless a battery is used on at least one side of course.
True. A battery on both sides is the best ...a configuration that is very hard to give up once heard. Any other power path introduces a galvanic (inducted or radiated) path. I have a pdf here for those interested.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #9,867 of 18,489
If you can manage the upgrade financially then it is definitely worth it. I was a long time Hugo 2 owner (loved that little box) and now have a TT2.

My anecdotal experiences in what the TT2 adds:

-more power in the amp section to be able to handle pretty much any headphones
-option to grow into a nice little 2 channel set up in the future
-much, much more realism when paired with an mScaler compared to Hugo 2 (or qutest which I also owned)
-Deeper, well controlled bass
-Improved dynamics

I’m sure I’m missing something, but in short it is a significant step up especially when paired with a MS.

I would like to thank everyone who responded but I have decided to take advantage of the Hugo2 and the Elear package which might be gone in a few weeks. I will then sell my older Hugo2 and my next trip on a holiday,I will get the Hugo TT2. This is also a safe choice now as I can train my ears and enjoy the m Scaler with the Hugo 2 before getting the TT2 , probably in summer or Christmas like how the m Scaler was a gift to myself for 2019.

Thank you once again for the feedbacks. This is the best forum and am happy to learn from all of you.

Regards!

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #9,868 of 18,489
Hello,

I need an explanation. I use Qobuz. Qobuz has hi res music as we know it vary from 24bit 44khz to 192khz (studio masters and etc). Becouse we know M scaler will have most effect if it upscales 16x times 44khz/48khz. Should i leave hires content at it highest possible quality and let M scaler do a job to upscale but 4-8x times. Or should i downsample (select CD quality on all recordings) and let m scaler work 16x times the frequncy. Does it mean that there is no need for hi res subscription as M scaler needs only CD RB? Thank you, @Rob Watts :wink:

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #9,869 of 18,489
Hello,

I need an explanation. I use Qobuz. Qobuz has hi res music as we know it vary from 24bit 44khz to 192khz (studio masters and etc). Becouse we know M scaler will have most effect if it upscales 16x times 44khz/48khz. Should i leave hires content at it highest possible quality and let M scaler do a job to upscale but 4-8x times. Or should i downsample (select CD quality on all recordings) and let m scaler work 16x times the frequncy. Does it mean that there is no need for hi res subscription as M scaler needs only CD RB? Thank you, @Rob Watts :wink:

Rob will probably answer but until then . . . .

It is recommended to leave files in their native resolution for the MScaler. Do not upsample or downsample prior to them going to the MScaler.

I personally find that I can hear sound quality benefits by using hires rather than cd quality as long as hires was the original file resolution rather than it having just been upsampled. A case in point was yesterday when I was listening to the first track of the Andrew Bird album 'My Finest Work Yet'. The CD resolution version was good but had a slight lack of clarity in the bass and lower mids. Almost as if the leading edge of the bass notes was slightly blurred or muddied. All this was rectified by going to the 96/24 version of the same track. This was using Qobuz streamed and downloaded files and where the same affect could be heard whichever method was used. Also, these were just different resolution options of the same album on the qobuz download page and not different mixes or other different versions. I have a Qobuz Sublime HiRes subscription so it is easy to compare.

Based on that I always buy or stream genuine hires version if they are available, even 48kHz makes a difference to my ears compared to 44.1kHz.

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 06.46.01.png

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 07.03.11.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back