Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #9,871 of 18,518
Currently listening to "Yukon Viking" by Tony Beet's.

It's @#£&*%# awesome.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #9,873 of 18,518
Any dedicated players you would recommend?
Several players work fine (roon, JRiverMC, foobar, HQPlayer, etc.). They all support WASAPI Exclusive (or ASIO) audio modes.

If you only every play ripped CD content or mass market compressed music, its all 16-bit/44.1 kHz sampled (regardless of the compression used: FLAC lossless or lossy at 192k,320k, etc.) so for this you *can' use the standard windows playout ...just set the 'shared playback' setting to 16-bit/44.1kHz so the music remains untouched.

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #9,874 of 18,518
btw i wanted to ask, is the m-scaler's differance spotable if i used hugo 2 TT with an external amp? for example Xi Audio amp + Abyess headphone since they need a lot of power.

so Hugo + M-Scaler is something we can notice the M-scaler effect in. can we say the same about M-scaler's effect if we added an external amp to the setup?

update:

oh np got the answer.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #9,875 of 18,518
Anyone having problem playing DSD with roon to mscaler ?
Works for me. Just tried it. Roon->ultraRendu->M Scaler->DAVE

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #9,876 of 18,518
So this is my signal path:
{EBE82A18-B201-4627-8E03-00D8699BCD87}.png.jpg

The song is playing, I mean the progress bar is moving. But there is no sound on Hugo TT. On the M Scaler "DX OP" ball isn't glowing at all.
I have no Idea what is wrong. I've tried reinstalling drivers and even roon. Nothing helped. FLAC files or tidal stream is playing ok.

It seems that I have similar problem to the one in this video but only with dsd:

When I'm changing songs (DSD only) sometimes (but only sometimes, often nothing is happening) the "DX OP" ball starts to blink very very fast like pico seconds turn on and off. Also Sample rate color on hugo TT is blinking too.
@ChordElectronics Is my unit broken or something ?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #9,877 of 18,518
Jan 12, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #9,878 of 18,518
So this is my signal path:

The song is playing, I mean the progress bar is moving. But there is no sound on Hugo TT. On the M Scaler "DX OP" ball isn't glowing at all.
I have no Idea what is wrong. I've tried reinstalling drivers and even roon. Nothing helped. FLAC files or tidal stream is playing ok.

It seems that I have similar problem to the one in this video but only with dsd:

When I'm changing songs (DSD only) sometimes (but only sometimes, often nothing is happening) the "DX OP" ball starts to blink very very fast like pico seconds turn on and off. Also Sample rate color on hugo TT is blinking too.
@ChordElectronics Is my unit broken or something ?

Aha! I’ve just read your signature? You have a TT1?
I had a similar problem feeding DSD to my TT1 via USB from my Roon Nucleus, before changing the rig to HMS/TT2. DSD used to ‘cut out’ regularly.
I think the problem may lie with TT1? I’m not sure where though?
My DSD problem was solved when I went from TT1 to TT2, before I put HMS in the chain.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #9,879 of 18,518
Aha! I’ve just read your signature? You have a TT1?
I had a similar problem feeding DSD to my TT1 via USB from my Roon Nucleus, before changing the rig to HMS/TT2. DSD used to ‘cut out’ regularly.
I think the problem may lie with TT1? I’m not sure where though?
My DSD problem was solved when I went from TT1 to TT2, before I put HMS in the chain.
Yup currently still rockin on TT1. Hmmm a bit strange behavior that I cannot play dsd via single bnc. Still waiting for @ChordElectronics to confirm.
Anyway I m going to update to TT2 in some time so it's not that big thing I guess.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #9,880 of 18,518
Yup currently still rockin on TT1. Hmmm a bit strange behavior that I cannot play dsd via single bnc. Still waiting for @ChordElectronics to confirm.
Anyway I m going to update to TT2 in some time so it's not that big thing I guess.
I think when you go to TT2, you’ll find the problem ‘disappears’.
I just loved my TT1 BTW. I miss that DAC sometimes...

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #9,882 of 18,518
Who here is using the Hugo M Scaler as part of a two channel system? What speakers are you using?
I’m using my M Scaler predominantly in a 2-channel system, with Linn Majik 140 speakers, powered by Linn amplification. Works a treat!

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #9,884 of 18,518
Hello, I’m using MSC + Dave directly feeding a pair of active speakers (ATC scm19a). I will post impressions in the next days but overall very nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back