Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 30, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #7,681 of 18,537
Jul 30, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #7,683 of 18,537
I am not expert about dedicated pc based transport but if I completely replace power line by a 4xAA battery pack through ifi idefender then I need to clean the data line only on any of the laptop or PC. After replacing power line by clean battery power, data line can be cleaned effectively by using another ifi product which is ifi isilencer. I use two ifi isilencer in series . After that do I still need nuc ? Plus I get the advantage of using popular free bit perfect software like foobar.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7,684 of 18,537
Not sure exactly what a NUC is. But, if it's some sort of computer, is it touch controlled? Or can it be used with a keyboard?

A Nuc is basically a latop computer crammed into something similar in size to hugo 2. Very powerful for their size and near enough silent in it's stock case and totally silent in a fanless case.

It's basically a desktop non gaming pc that fits in the palm of your hand. It even comes with a vesa mounting kit so that you can screw it on to the back of your tv.

It's like an ipad, everyone should have one.

26F807C7-4FFA-42F6-BAC3-8E4A7CDD5C59.jpeg

Edit.

You plug your mouse and keyboard into the usb ports.

I have a wireless microsoft keyboard with touch pad for it, but I just use my ipad to control my nuc instead with rvnc server and viewer.

It's just a pc, albeit a small one, but you can get lots of touch based devices for it, or like me just use an ipad app. Although you will need a usb keyboard and mouse for bios control and OS installation.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #7,685 of 18,537
A Nuc is basically a latop computer crammed into something similar in size to hugo 2. Very powerful for their size and near enough silent in it's stock case and totally silent in a fanless case.

It's basically a desktop non gaming pc that fits in the palm of your hand. It even comes with a vesa mounting kit so that you can screw it on to the back of your tv.

It's like an ipad, everyone should have one.

Edit.

You plug your mouse and keyboard into the usb ports.

I have a wireless microsoft keyboard with touch pad for it, but I just use my ipad to control my nuc instead with rvnc server and viewer.

It's just a pc, albeit a small one, but you can get lots of touch based devices for it, or like me just use an ipad app. Although you will need a usb keyboard and mouse for bios control and OS installation.
Thanks. Might be worth picking one up.

Jul 30, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #7,687 of 18,537
Currently as i type comparing ipad air 3 vs optical direct from imac on wifi listening to your latest trick dire straits. Will post tonite what i think. So far chromecast is way down in 3rd place. Nasty thin sound and no depth from google's discontinued gadget. I'm trying to be honest as to what i'm hearing.

I've got optical and usb connected into mscaler and ipad air roon remote and simply ab'ing and switching from the two sources immediately after each other. The air display is ultra responsive and slick. Next up Ana Moura.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #7,688 of 18,537
Mojo 2 with detachable supercaps for use at home and on the mojogo? A true human work of art.
Since my mojo battery died, i have put same 2pcs eaton (3.7v) supercaps as in tt2. I use it with poly and power from anker powerbank and it sounds more spacious than original battery (even against hugo2 difference was so small - just a tiny step organic, open but just very tiny). Or it is a placebo. @Rob Watts please comment on this if it has a benefit on theory too.
Wonder also does Poly can have an advantage with supercap instaled instead of battery too? In theory?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #7,689 of 18,537
Since my mojo battery died, i have put same 2pcs eaton (3.7v) supercaps as in tt2. I use it with poly and power from anker powerbank and it sounds more spacious than original battery (even against hugo2 difference was so small - just a tiny step organic, open but just very tiny). Or it is a placebo. @Rob Watts please comment on this if it has a benefit on theory too.
Wonder also does Poly can have an advantage with supercap instaled instead of battery too? In theory?
Thank you very much.
Any thoughts regarding the Poly? @Matt Bartlett

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #7,690 of 18,537
Thanks. Might be worth picking one up.

If you're sick of having a desktop pc turned on all the time with it's fan noise, or if you would like a music or a media server that is always on and silent, a nuc is the way to go.

All you need is a microsoft wireless media keyboard, that covers you for both keyboard and mouse action, and you can carry it about with you, as it comes with a small psu. They have thunderbolt and hdmi ports for connecting to a tv or monitor.

Oh, they also come with bluetooth 5, more bandwidth, so BT may be worth using now, just a pity there is no aptX support, but it doesn't matter.

Since TT2 was newly built and released last year, it should have BT 5 support, since it was available then, but I think TT2 only supports BT 4.2 and aptX, I also wonder what version of aptX it supports, aptX, aptx HD, or aptx Low Latency ? I have a funny feeling it's the first one.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #7,691 of 18,537
I've looked at NUCs before, but always got a bit lost as to what needs speccing / what to choose / etc. Get a bit paralysed that I'll end up with the wrong thing. Any recommended pre-mades or sources or things to make it easier for non-techheads, Amberlamps?

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #7,692 of 18,537
get a server like i did for the folks that differ to professionals build. preferably a roon core preferred partner. then the linux code all written, all your apps are there for streaming or whatever. course prepare to open the wallet wide.

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #7,693 of 18,537
I've looked at NUCs before, but always got a bit lost as to what needs speccing / what to choose / etc. Get a bit paralysed that I'll end up with the wrong thing. Any recommended pre-mades or sources or things to make it easier for non-techheads, Amberlamps?
There is a lot of info in this thread, some of which has been compiled by regular head-fi posters, especially if you scroll down to the end of the menu, where you will find the section for NUCs.
Some of the findings in those posts are a bit cutting edge, and cannot easily be explained yet, but the general best practice seems to include:
  • the aim is to minimise the amount of electrical noise generated by the nuc motherboard, which can then find its way into your dac via cables
  • use a i7 with low utilisation, rather than a i3 with high utilisation
  • run everything in ram, and avoid regular delays whilst the cpu retrieves data from a hard drive
  • if streaming, prefetch the next track into ram, and so avoid pauses whilst the next track is streamed from an external server or the web
  • etc.......
It is not a five minute task to read all the useful info, but you could find it useful to avoid buying the wrong spec nuc and/or accessories.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #7,694 of 18,537
Thank you very much.

Huh ?

What did you do ? You replaced mojo's battery with supercaps ?

Pic's and explaining is needed.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #7,695 of 18,537
Huh ?

What did you do ? You replaced mojo's battery with supercaps ?

Pic's and explaining is needed.
To make pics i have to open everything, takes time.
First, i did it on my own risk and voided the guarantee.

Idea and logic simple.

Mojo uses power only from internal batttery even if usb power plugged in.

I cut cord from battery and put 2pcs 3.7V 5farads supercaps (in parralel 10F). (I think review magazines should not open up the cases - this is how i looked whats in tt2 - chord are not happy i think for spoiling whats inside). I wanted to put exactly the same since i already knew what model is in tt2. And supercaps works as battery now. 10farads lasts for a few seconds if unplugged.

Now i have to wait till they charges up 10-20s so i can turn on. Just like hugott2.
And mojo power design is already made that way, simply stock battery lasts for 8hours, supercaps for 2s, but they deliver their power characteritics.

Funny thing with supercaps my mojo no more gave itchy noise then charging and playing. Dead silent.

Now enjoying together with mojopoly and sd card playback. Stunning combo. Its almost same level to my ears as mac mini+audirvana+qutest. Did A/B test and was amazed how good Mojopoly (and with supercaps) it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back