Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,921 of 18,491
Ha, I was a bit dubious at first and considered a possible prank, but my intuition told me that humor should never exist within the hi-fi community! Unplugging sounds easiest to me!

It was a quick 30 seconds of fun, which at times is sadly lacking in some chord threads.

It does have a sleep/standby mode where it kinda turns it’s self off if you are not using it, but just to annoy us, Chord left one light ball turned on.

Pulling the plug is the onlyway of shutting it down, I would of liked a switch but sadly it wasn’t to be, :frowning2:

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #4,922 of 18,491
Got my HMS yesterday. Had a spare 75 minutes this morning to muck with it. Not enough for critical listening yet - but I am impressed on first blush.

KUDOS to RW et. al. for their amazing work on the underlying tech here. Please keep it up!!! :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

SHAME on JF et. al. for the nearly-indecipherable user interface and for the unfinished user manual. :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Love you guys, Chord - but as your tech is head-and-shoulders, it is well-past time to up your game on the other parts of the biz, please. :heart::heart_decoration::heartpulse:

Looking forward to a few hours of critical listening this weekend - around the football games. GO PATS! TB12!

Doody
Roon -> HMS -> H2 -> Omega CAMs / Senn 800s

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #4,925 of 18,491
"difficult"! Excellent descriptor. Spot on! You're a more polite man than I, sir.
I’d say ‘different’ rather than ‘difficult’, tho you’re entitled to pick your own words :)
It’s nice that its different, I think I bond more with it that way.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #4,926 of 18,491
Got my HMS yesterday. Had a spare 75 minutes this morning to muck with it. Not enough for critical listening yet - but I am impressed on first blush.

KUDOS to RW et. al. for their amazing work on the underlying tech here. Please keep it up!!! :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

SHAME on JF et. al. for the nearly-indecipherable user interface and for the unfinished user manual. :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Love you guys, Chord - but as your tech is head-and-shoulders, it is well-past time to up your game on the other parts of the biz, please. :heart::heart_decoration::heartpulse:

Looking forward to a few hours of critical listening this weekend - around the football games. GO PATS! TB12!

Doody
Thanks for that rather personal remark I’m afraid that the user interface is not mine at all but is all Robs and so is the manual. At the time of its writing only Rob knew any details of the functionality. I’ve been unhappy about the manual for a while now and had instructed some of my people to re write it. Next time you wish to comment perhaps a pm might save any bad feelings.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #4,927 of 18,491
I’d say ‘different’ rather than ‘difficult’, tho you’re entitled to pick your own words :)
I have no issue with the manual, it says all that is needed and no more. It took me no time to connect and set up, and everything worked automatically.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #4,928 of 18,491
Could someone tell me if this color is 768? The pic doesn't depict the LEDs very well but I see a blue and pink LED being lit. If I am not at 768, then how should i get there? Thanks

10223994_thumb.jpg
Nice set up including the @MoonAudio Dragon

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #4,929 of 18,491
The manual could use more instruction for the not so well-versed Chord user. I misspoke a bit and should have said that the functionality does require a bit of learning, but the trade-off is a good looking piece of hardware that is unique--aside from great SQ.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #4,930 of 18,491

Doody
Both the user interface and manual are down to your hero Rob and not myself though I had asked for the manual to be rewritten and it’s underway.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #4,932 of 18,491
Both the user interface and manual are down to your hero Rob and not myself though I had asked for the manual to be rewritten and it’s underway.

Lol, you do realise you already replied to his post with a similar answer :)

Sorry John, for a minute I thought you were Paul.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #4,933 of 18,491
The only thing I didn’t like about the manual was that it didn’t tell you exactly what the right 3 button are for. It simply could have said “for use with an upcoming product” and I wouldn’t have spent 2 hours trying to find something about them.

Design? Absolutely love it.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #4,935 of 18,491
MY APOLOGIES John. I was not aware that Rob was the master of the flashing balls and jumped to (bad) conclusions! I'm having my people in China whip up a few hundred lite-up balls, and the next time I see Rob I'm going to lovingly dump/shower them on him in a faux-Champagne roast :).

Doody

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back