Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #4,907 of 18,495
Continuation with the hobby once all source/headphones/speakers are in place means tweaking stuff otherwise has the hobby ended? it's been going on so long just feeling totally satisfied feels alien and empty and pointless. end game=no game?

...get more music?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #4,908 of 18,495
True end game is to unbookmark Head Fi and any other audio forums. Out of sight out of mind.. :)

Yes, I took off about 16 years while raising kids. Not from listening to music, but from obsessing over hi-fi (before my head-fi, which ironically my family pushed me into because I was too loud for them). So, back in, found Mojo, which almost is and definitely would have been end game in any decade prior. I think TT2 (maybe with mScaler later this year) will be the next long term end game.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #4,909 of 18,495
My take is that RF isn't an issue specifically with Chord products, but rather with all audio devices. ...
Rob has been kind enough to show how RF causes noise floor which brightens and hardens the sound (not just specific to his designs), and in this context he has shown that his DACs have no measurable noise floor modulation.
Very true.

Also in this context, RF has become synonymous with Chord DACs from those that haven't been following his informative posts, or those that talk about it without context.... which is the complete opposite of what Rob has been trying to show.
Well said! All audio devices are victims of RF. Please check the heavy shielding in different types of cables and their prices!
Making RF synonymous with HMS is wrong!

Rob has repeatedly mentioned how ferrites are a thin layer of icing on the audio cake
Will you throw the HMS + {TT2, DAVE, ...} away if you're using only the stock cable? I won't. However, to get the last 5%,2% (whatsoever) is highly expensive and the last 1% could be deadly expensive. This is the nature of HiFi. With not every component as 1st class as the HMS, the system can be really "cheap". Once everything is at the summit level, it's very hard to further improve any of the components because the demand of something better will be dramatically decreased. Hence the price will shoot up.

Jay's BNC shootout from AudioBacon showed that some BNC cable made his Chord DAC system sounded better. Most of the cable manufacturers did not mention that their cables kills the RF or what's the theory behind. Still Jay found that some cables sounded better. I think this is a fair attitude towards any cable. It just boiled down to a better cable or a better member in a chain makes the output better.

and I feel the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, ..Unfortunately now it has become twisted in to an 'issue' that needs 'solving'.
Agree, I like the stock HMS+DAVE very much as stressed before. No need to solve before the pay check. Never a deal breaker.
ALL AUDIO GEAR CAN BENEFIT FROM A REDUCTION IN RF
Great conclusion. I hope that nobody brought up marketing strategy again. This is not the tone of thread and never ever the tone. In the past month, I read happily lots of impressions and how members' did to further improve the sound. Suddenly, RF brought up again fiercely. Why?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #4,910 of 18,495
It’s fair to say there’s no shortage of love with the mscaler here, nor for any chord dac for that matter. But we are music lovers and audiophiles and as a breed we are well known to have opinions lol.

So if you’ll forgive me as a relative newby here I’d suggest that most of what we are talking about here is essentially a matter of degrees of difference.

I choose good cables generally and have yet to have found any gear regardless of price to have much more than sufficient cables as included as stock. I expect that I will consider it an investment that I will find cables that will further contextualise my system, for my preference in cables, so would not want any included cable to add a great additional cost to the RRP of the components I buy. I’d like to specify that option myself.

I’ve been using the stock BNC cables while I get used to the mscaler and give it a few hundred hours to fully settle in. I should have my replacement bnc cables here in a week or so and they will match the rest of my signal cables and I’ll hold off commenting much more till I’ve listened to these but I expect they will offer a clear improvement to the stock cables. They always have for every other bit of gear I have bought.

There invariably seems to be a bit of defensiveness about everyone’s varied position on forums generally but truth is everyone’s setup and everyone’s expectations are different. These are forever just opinions, nothing to truly get upset over really. Subjectivity rules... so HMS is a game changer, even just with stock cables.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #4,911 of 18,495
Could someone tell me if this color is 768? The pic doesn't depict the LEDs very well but I see a blue and pink LED being lit. If I am not at 768, then how should i get there? Thanks

10223994_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 20190109_074513.jpg
    20190109_074513.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190109_074513.jpg
    20190109_074513.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,914 of 18,495
Yes it is, as dual data is lit, and M scaler says 48k, so it can only be 768, and that's the right colour from Hugo 2 too...
Rob, I've gone through many products and have always had a bug to try different ones till I came upon Chord, so thanks for your work.

For the life of me I still can't figure out how to turn off the Mscaler. I take it to work during the week and home for the weekend, so I would like to safely power down.

Thanks

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #4,915 of 18,495
Rob, I've gone through many products and have always had a bug to try different ones till I came upon Chord, so thanks for your work.

For the life of me I still can't figure out how to turn off the Mscaler. I take it to work during the week and home for the weekend, so I would like to safely power down.

Thanks

just unplug it.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #4,916 of 18,495

Thanks

Before you unplug the cable, hold down the 1st, 3rd and last coloured balls on the front, after 10 seconds you will hear a click and then the lights will turn off and the MScaler will power down so that you can safely remove the cable.

At first I kept getting it wrong, as I started pushing the buttons from the wrong end.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,917 of 18,495
Before you unplug the cable, hold down the 1st, 3rd and last coloured balls on the front, after 10 seconds you will hear a click and then the lights will turn off and the MScaler will power down so that you can safely remove the cable.

At first I kept getting it wrong, as I started pushing the buttons from the wrong end.

Thanks! I couldn't find this anyplace.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #4,918 of 18,495
Thanks! I couldn't find this anyplace.

Cheers :)

I should add, I was joking, there is no power down function.

As supervisor mentioned, just unplug it and you will be ok :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,920 of 18,495
Cheers :)

I should add, I was joking, there is no power down function.

As supervisor mentioned, just unplug it and you will be ok :wink:
Ha, I was a bit dubious at first and considered a possible prank, but my intuition told me that humor should never exist within the hi-fi community! Unplugging sounds easiest to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back