Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,831 of 18,627
Can we connect an headphone directly to Qutest? Even if we could there would not be volume control. So you are not realizing the obvious: the Qutest is useless for the majority of people.
I thought it to be possible – as it uses the output stage from the Mojo –, but recently Rob explained that in contrast to the implementation for the Mojo it's current limited and not able to work with low-impedance loads. Hence the answer is no. It's certainly of use for people who intend to drive speakers through an amp with input volume control.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #4,832 of 18,627
Can we connect an headphone directly to Qutest? Even if we could there would not be volume control. So you are not realizing the obvious: the Qutest is useless for the majority of people.
It is not its intended purpose, but the exception is electrostats. It was a great DAC for my Stax 007Mk2 and my Sure KSE1500, but of course their respective energisers provide the volume control.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #4,833 of 18,627
Why would one think, it’s obvious isn’t it. Are you not into electronics?
For the photo that Nick posted, I've seen it quite some time ago. Not much to see, really. Hence I asked why.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #4,835 of 18,627
Hi,

Ordered the M Scaler today for my Qutest, it should arrive in 1 or 2 days. I can't wait to hear it on my setup :)

The differences were big when I listened to it at the shop on the Qutest.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #4,836 of 18,627
A lot of people are interested in how the omega perform with tt2. If you had a few minutes to comment, that would be amazeballs.
It is simply a stunning combination. There is absolutely no need for a power amp with the Omegas. I have the super 8 XRS which are 98db at 8 ohms. I use a pair of Rel Tzero subs which add a bit of authority and weight to the Omegas. Very musical but mainly what I like is the transparency, the feeling that the music is real and live.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #4,837 of 18,627
It is simply a stunning combination. There is absolutely no need for a power amp with the Omegas. I have the super 8 XRS which are 98db at 8 ohms. I use a pair of Rel Tzero subs which add a bit of authority and weight to the Omegas. Very musical but mainly what I like is the transparency, the feeling that the music is real and live.

I have a MScaler+ Hugo 2 directly driving 96dB/10ohm Voxativs. And I have a single rel S/5 to help below 120Hz plus Taket batpro2 supertweeters. Plenty good and loud for me with Hugo2's barely 1 watt. At full volume I have my family telling me to turn it down.

My audio friends come over to listen and love the transparency but keep telling me that there is no body to the music. Everything is amazingly airy and spacious, yes, but they say it's thin sounding and too "echoey".

Of course their own systems are old-school component chains driving 3-way speakers. They are so used to distortion and non-linearity. They prefer smothered details to bare naked transparency.

It's a personal taste perhaps. For me, it's taken months of swapping in/out my amp to decide that I much prefer the DAC--direct sound. I hear more, I sense the venue, I enjoy the music more. When compared to live instruments in my room, dac-direct music (via headphones or loudspeakers) has the same feel and richness IMO and only falls short due to imperfect transducers and probably current drive limitations from Hugo2. I'm sure TT2 with super-caps will sound much better and will be further eclipsed by Rob's future DX amps.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #4,838 of 18,627
My audio friends come over to listen and love the transparency but keep telling me that there is no body to the music. Everything is amazingly airy and spacious, yes, but they say it's thin sounding and too "echoey".

FWIW, the Voxativ Pi bass units made that thinness go away for me (absolutely amazing bass drivers). Each unit has 2 106dB sensitivity bass drivers with a huge class A/B amp, so it really move air, while being ultra fast and clean.

I very recently got a pair of the Voxativ Z bass units (usually paired with their Zeth speakers, which I also got), which each have a single 106dB sensitivity driver with a class D amp. Also very very nice.

The speed makes a huge difference in musicality, esp. being fed mScaled music from DAVE

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #4,840 of 18,627
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #4,841 of 18,627
Hi,

Ordered the M Scaler today for my Qutest, it should arrive in 1 or 2 days. I can't wait to hear it on my setup :)

The differences were big when I listened to it at the shop on the Qutest.

Congrats and I can’t wait to hear your impressions! This is the same combo I am very seriously considering.

What headphone amp are you running? When I demoed the Qutest/Mscaler with my Wells Milo amp it had wonderful synergy and I was extremely impressed with the chain.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,843 of 18,627
If the M-Scaler is such an "end state" revolution in audio, why is no one talking about it outside of a few people on this board?
It’s strange but you’ve said you’ve just purchased an m scaler back in November and you’ve bought others subsequently several more times and unusually your posts always end with some sort of derogatory comment following . Is this because you’ve forgotten you’ve already purchased one months ago and your upset having found your old one in the back of the cupboard as this would make me pretty annoyed too.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,845 of 18,627
It’s strange but you’ve said you’ve just purchased an m scaler back in November and you’ve bought others subsequently several more times and unusually your posts always end with some sort of derogatory comment following . Is this because you’ve forgotten you’ve already purchased one months ago and your upset having found your old one in the back of the cupboard as this would make me pretty annoyed too.

I'm not sure what on earth you're referring to about an M-Scaler in my cupboard? If you actually read the post, you'd see I was making fun of all the "The M-Scaler isn't good enough without adding all kinds of other NASA-level technology" talk.

But your response tells me a lot about attitude of the company, that's for sure. God help someone who needs customer service.

But seriously, is that the best answer to the question the very manufacturer can give? If anyone would know the answer to the question you would.

Could you just answer the question (if you know the answer)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back