Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #4,696 of 18,478
I played scaler into tt2, was really full, I then put the 768 output of tt2 into mojo, it sounded empty in comparison, I wasn’t expecting that. I didn’t want to admit mojo had it’s limitations :)
Was it really stereo what you heard from the Mojo? Mine does only mono with full upscaling to 352.8/384 kHz (white). The same with Hugo₁. 176.4/192 kHz is the maximum for stereo. [Edit:] That is, if I wrongly use one of the dual BNC outputs instead of the single BNC output.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,697 of 18,478
Yes they are. Grossly over simplifying, the DX amp is basically a high output power version of Robs DACs, without the WTA1 filter (the part that has all the taps)

When you connect dual BNC with a 16x signal (for example, from the Blu2 or HMS) to one of Robs DACs, it bypasses the WTA1 filter. With the DX amps, that piece is eliminated and it just has the dual BNC inputs.

That being said, TT2 with DX amps won’t be doing much: source selector and DX volume control (DAVE would being doing even less...just source select). Unless you’re using the headphone out of the TT2, the HMS should be able to connect to the DX amp directly

It would be great if the DX amp(s) had a headphone output so the Dave or TT2 is not needed. Less boxes are always better IMO.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,698 of 18,478
Was it really stereo what you heard from the Mojo? Mine does only mono with full upscaling to 352.8/384 kHz (white). The same with Hugo₁. 176.4/192 kHz is the maximum for stereo.
Not sure, I plugged my headphones into mojo and it sounded like both sides were playing music- is that what you mean?
Input is purple light, so it was 384 i'm thinking. But still the sq difference wasnt to do with upscaling, i think its prob just the superior analogue section ?

freq.PNG

96762716-10DB-4242-93BF-565B3418EF9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,699 of 18,478
Both sides, yes, but both sides carrying the same signal = monophonic. Whereas pass-through (red), 88.2/96 kHz (green) and 176.4/192 kHz (blue) are stereo.

Dec 29, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #4,700 of 18,478
It turns out that I should have used the single BNC output instead of one of the dual BNC outputs... :rolling_eyes:

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,701 of 18,478
For Zappa fans, the album apostrophe is special with mscaler.

An amazing sense of space, holographic, a surreal experience.

Here fido.....

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #4,703 of 18,478
I have been reading and seeing good things about Wave cables, here on the forums and also a video the other day. I thought to myself whilst watching the video, “that’s an area that I haven’t yet focused on, cables”.

Now that I have moved up to division two in the audio hardware category, I thought, maybe I should be focusing on getting some decent cables now that I have got the goods to exploit them.

I got in touch with Nick aka @Triode User who makes Wave cables. I asked him what range of cables he sold and since he knows I’m from here and he knew that I had an Mscaler and a TT2, he suggested that i try his Wave Stream cables and if I didn’t like them, I could return them for a full refund.

Fair enough, nothing to lose except £10 shipping them back if I didn’t like them, so I asked for a set of his Wave Stream cables and they arrived on Friday.

Anyone who knows me, you will know that I like my iem’s and their cables. But although I have bags of iem’s and cables, I never ever buy iem cables for their sound. Buying iem cables is purely for the bling factor, plus 99.5% of them all sound the same. True story, but don’t mention it to some iem cable fans.

Before I got the Wave Stream cables, I was already very dubious about them being able to transform music, as I was going from my iem cable experience, where schiit all sounded the same, but just looked different. I was really sceptical about them doing anything to the sound.

Anyway, Friday arrived and a big box was handed to me, all professionally printed and inside was a leaflet and two of the nicest cables I have ever seen.

They screamed quality and looked very very nice in real life. They have the same design philosophy that Chord uses, built like a tank and bombproof. I couldn’t wait to hook these bad boys up. Once done, I decided to see what they sounded like, ( remember, I’m still thinking “iem cables are useless” ). I loaded up Qobuz and selected a playlist and pushed play, within the first 20 seconds I could tell the sound had totally changed, and changed for the better.

The brightness that was there has now gone, the tone is softer and warmer and more realistic. The cables have made a huge difference, I no longer get fatigued after an hour or two of listening, like I previously did with Hugo 2 and TT2. More so with H2 than TT2, but I honestly can’t believe that 2 cables can have this much of an impact. Although all my Chord dacs sound good, these cables make them sound even better.

Rob mentions that if his dacs sound overly bright, then RFI interference is causing it. My HMS & TT2 was sitting next to my 6 aerial triple band wifi router. My music was being contaminated by my wifi router and other electrical products, which cannot be fixed by just changing positions of the electricals.

Using these cables makes the sound silky smooth compared to what it was like before. The cables have helped in a big way and they help make Robs MScaler and TT2 sound much better by eliminating external RFI. It’s amazing how much RFI there is in an average home nowadays.

With the wave stream cables, I can do a 3+ hour listening session easy, so easy that I fell asleep whilst listening with my HD800S on. When I woke up the music was still playing and it was 6 hours later. I NEVER fall asleep with headphones on, and to do that and stay sleeping shows how much the sharp and bright sound has been tamed / killed, as that would of woken me up had it still been present. Infact I probably wouldn’t of fallen asleep to start with had I been using the stock cables.

The music seems warmer, softer and more realistic now, compared to the digital sound that was audible with the stock cables. Even with the mscaler and TT2, you could still notice that the source was a digital source when using the stock cables. With the wave cables, any external RFI that was plagueing my MScaler and TT2 has now gone, it no longer exists and high pitched female vocals no longer sound like a “blind date gone bad”.

The tone has an overall sense of warmth and realism about it, but it does not interfere with the mscaler doing it’s thing, the same micro details are still there, timing, timbre etc etc, everything is still there but it sounds so much better and realistic.

I’m not one for trying to describe all the small nuances that makes up a track like some of you here can, but I don’t claim to be an audiophile, and I’m cool with that. When I hear something good, I can tell, and I can tell these cables are good.

Attachments

• 81D6C4E5-E4E9-47CB-962F-5AD2E373AAC3.jpeg
    81D6C4E5-E4E9-47CB-962F-5AD2E373AAC3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D1A65504-293C-43EC-9ADF-828C63B9149F.jpeg
    D1A65504-293C-43EC-9ADF-828C63B9149F.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 0
  • B183E05C-6AB2-4076-9E17-5734AC777C72.jpeg
    B183E05C-6AB2-4076-9E17-5734AC777C72.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 0
  • B4D3F1A2-8D5B-4315-AC1C-2282DADD20B5.jpeg
    B4D3F1A2-8D5B-4315-AC1C-2282DADD20B5.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 67A26472-40B2-4CC8-AA1B-C534C17D9EC6.jpeg
    67A26472-40B2-4CC8-AA1B-C534C17D9EC6.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 0
  • 37DE5391-A5FD-40FD-9514-FB750929B9EE.jpeg
    37DE5391-A5FD-40FD-9514-FB750929B9EE.jpeg
    956.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #4,707 of 18,478
I have to question the stock cables as i myself was unable able to get a decent connection with them slightest touch of the cable would cause a drop in the sound so were put back in the box.
Decided on Chord Company which i believe is what Chord Electronics themselves use at shows nice price to quality ratio with tight locking BNC connectors.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4,708 of 18,478
Chord have already solved the RF problem in Hugo MScaler. There can’t be any improvement. Stock cable sounds the best :)

That’s the stance from AndrewOld.

Ah I see, I must of missed something.

I can assure him or anyone that there can be an improvement, in my case a pretty bloody big one,

The cables make a big change to the sound, I much prefer this warmer softer tone than everything being pin sharp and unrealistic.

I have no idea where the RFI is really coming from, I suspect my wifi router, but I have too many electricals in this room that finding the source and fixiing it, it would probably mean unplugging everything and then running my mscaler and tt2 on a car battery.

I’m not here to debate or make people change their mind, I’m just saying it like it is, Nick’s cable’s really do work and the difference between stock and these cables is not just tiny, its big, but maybe it won’t be as big for everyone as it was for me ? As I had a wifi router next to them and in this room alone is about 10 wifi devices, and a good whack of them are on.

My music has probably been getting butchered and contaminated by rfi for years, and me not knowing it. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #4,709 of 18,478
I have to question the stock cables as i myself was unable able to get a decent connection with them slightest touch of the cable would cause a drop in the sound so were put back in the box.
Decided on Chord Company which i believe is what Chord Electronics themselves use at shows nice price to quality ratio with tight locking BNC connectors.

Funny you mention that, I just had to look at my stock bnc cables and they would lose connection. They were extremely temperamental.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,710 of 18,478
Indeed, the stock cables are poor, do not perform their basic function of providing a reliable connection. Sound quality due to RFI is another issue, I do know how they perform for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back