Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,503 of 18,535
There is some semantics in play here, and the term earthing and grounding are often interchanged, but let me try and make some distinctions. In the UK when we talk about 'earthing' we generally mean it in the context of electrical safety not signal grounding. The decision to earth a device or not, certainly in the UK, is never a decision taken by the end user. It will depend entirely on the design of the equipment. (Class I or II etc) I think what Rob is referring to here is signal grounding, which is not done for safety purposes but more around trying to tie together the 0v reference points of multiple devices to avoid earth loops, which in turn can cause hum etc.

So in answer to your question, will you ever need to 'earth' your HMS or H2, no you will not. Will you ever need to 'ground' these devices to avoid earth loops, possibly!

Thank you for the clarification.

Can you, or any one else, kindly suggest what I could do practically to ground the Qutest as suggested by Rob Watts (and/or the HMS if need be) to avoid the earth loop I seem to be experiencing?
Thanks.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #4,504 of 18,535
Probably, as metal tapes were like £9 for one when you could get a twin pack of normal C90’s for 2 quid. I think I still have them in a box somewhere.

But it was nothing startling on a walkman whether it was metal or normal, a stacking stereo possibly, walkman no, as at that time mid 80s to 90s, the earphones on walkmans were those big cheap things that had a metal strap going over the top of your head and you could pull the metal apart to fit head size.

The audio quality was being hampered by the earphones.

I remember when I got my first pair of earbuds by sony, I was hawt schiit, everyone else with those clown earphones on and me with iem’s.

I would never go back to tape nowadays, the quality compared to now is far below whats acceptable today. Speaking about walkman quality, remember when you ran with it, it would screw up the playback.

Artist master tapes is a different story.

The horror

history-of-headphones-1979.jpg

And it gets worse

history-of-headphones-1980.jpg
I remember a pair of the 1980 style earphones came with the Aiwa that I used. There was zero sound isolation, and you could hear all the nearby traffic. I cringe at the thought of using them.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4,505 of 18,535
I remember a pair of the 1980 style earphones came with the Aiwa that I used. There was zero sound isolation, and you could hear all the nearby traffic. I cringe at the thought of using them.
Have you ever thought of the safety aspect of it, they were miles ahead of the times when it came to safety.
No-one wants to go to work and be hurt!
The snowflake generation just wanna shut out the whole world hence noise cancelling headphones now the rave

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #4,508 of 18,535
Well that's all my Christmas presents come early, M scaler, Hugo TT 2 and Meze audio Empyrean headphones happy days

That's a good looking system Paul.

Early days I know but how are the new cans sounding with the M-Scaler & TT2?

I'm very much a speaker man, but tempted by some good cans for late night listening or when my good lady acquisitions my system for TV watching! :rolling_eyes:

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #4,510 of 18,535
That's a good looking system Paul.

Early days I know but how are the new cans sounding with the M-Scaler & TT2?

I'm very much a speaker man, but tempted by some good cans for late night listening or when my good lady acquisitions my system for TV watching! :rolling_eyes:
Then it's closed back you want mate, I'm more for speakers but I keep buying state of the art headphones because I get so much more information than speakers but no emotion.
Meze Empyrean headphones are the first pair of headphones i listen to and just forget I'm not listening to speakers

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #4,512 of 18,535
Then it's closed back you want mate, I'm more for speakers but I keep buying state of the art headphones because I get so much more information than speakers but no emotion.
Meze Empyrean headphones are the first pair of headphones i listen to and just forget I'm not listening to speakers

That's an interesting comment.

I've never heard top end cans. I get there may be more information/detail but no emotion? I wonder why?

I need to borrow some good cans from my dealer and have a listen.

I'm currently playing the below which sounds fantastic. The drum on the intro of the 1st track is outstanding with the M-Scaler and TT2. A wow moment!

upload_2018-12-20_18-1-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-20_18-1-25.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-20_18-1-25.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #4,513 of 18,535
That's an interesting comment.

I've never heard top end cans. I get there may be more information/detail but no emotion? I wonder why?

I need to borrow some good cans from my dealer and have a listen.

I'm currently playing the below which sounds fantastic. The drum on the intro of the 1st track is outstanding with the M-Scaler and TT2. A wow moment!

Because with headphones your always missing something, you want what you can't have through convenience but times are changing.Thank God kids now want better quality music

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #4,514 of 18,535
Next up is looking to also upgrading the bnc cables. I’ll go for 1.5 metres.

I have ended up with two 1.5m Belden 1694A BNC cables between my HMS and Dave (input 3/4): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400076880620
And I am totally happy. No problems, no more BNC-cable-upgrade fever... I have not done a direct comparison with the stock BNC cables but everything is OK so I wont be comparing them - it is just a waste of time to me.

I have also added some cheap ferrites (10x on each cable): https://www.ebay.de/itm/372433183412
I am not sure about the real effect of the ferrites but they have done no harm to the sound so I just keep them on the cables preventively...

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4,515 of 18,535
Have you tried Mr. Speakers Ether 2? I am wondering how they compare to the Meze Empyrean. I haven't listened to either yet. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back