Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #4,532 of 18,610
@Jawed: thanks, interesting observations and tips! My initial impression was that the sound has changed slightly after applying 10 ferrites on each cable but you know how these first impressions are (psycho, expectation bias...). I should make more experiments to form a final personal conclusion about the ferrites. I already ordered additional ferrites some time ago... Your one cable workflow sounds practical.

@Whazzzup: Count me to your tin foil club! You can hide so many ferrites under your tin foil cap. My enviousness. I need one really really bad. :floatsmile:

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #4,533 of 18,610
My theory is that when you use a few ferrites, 10, say, the effect is strong enough at a narrow range of frequencies to result in a difference being heard. But at other frequencies the effect is too weak. I think this produces an "unmasking" effect, where a problem is revealed due to another problem having been solved. So you might hear a reduction in sibilance or graininess in voices, and bass notes have a richer texture, but there is an "etched" quality or a "sheen" in the treble. Sometimes this is heard as a "holographic soundstage" effect, or "spotlighing".

I've heard this unmasking effect with about 10 ferrites on both my USB and power cables. It's why I recommend at least 20 when experimenting.

When more ferrites are used the sheen and spotlighting disappear. Initially, the sheen and spotlighting are quite attractive. Though I found it tiring after a few days, so I was glad to eradicate this effect.

If you have M Scaler and two identical BNC cables, it is perhaps worthwhile to set up a test with only one BNC cable at a time (half a million taps). This way you can put all of your test ferrites on one cable and leave the other cable unmodified. When you want to compare, simply remove one cable and replace with the other. You must not have both cables connected simultaneously when doing this experiment, which means you can't just flip between inputs on your DAC.

If you can't hear a difference with 20 ferrites in this test, or you prefer the sound with no ferrites, then I think it's safe to say you've exhausted the possibilities and should just enjoy the music.

To save others the expense I think it is worth repeating that all experiments to date with Hugo MScaler owners using split core ferrites on the dual BNC cables, whatever the number, have made the MScaler worse. I think I am right in saying that your experiments with ferrites have been with Dave and not with the Hugo MScaler. The HMS does seem to react differently to split core ferrites compared to Blu2.

I seem to recollect RW saying (but might be my faulty memory) that extra external split core ferrites on the dual BNC cables for the Hugo Mscaler might be reacting with the onboard RF isolation and internal ferrites and hence the results that people have reported with split core (clip on) ferrites.

And just to say that I have found that for my ears 20 solid core ferrites are needed to get a good result. The solid core ones are more effective than the split core so if the split core ones hadn't made it worse then more would likely have been needed anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #4,534 of 18,610
@Amberlamps Since you have the Mojo around. Would you mind posting some impressions - Mojo vs. Mojo + HMS. I know it nowhere as exciting as TT2 + HMS, but still interesting, for some of us.

Sure I will do it tonight or over the weekend.

I did try Hugo 2 plugged into TT2, it was getting it’s sound from the mscaler through to TT2 via dual bnc cables, and then passed out of TT2 to H2’s dual data coax port.

It sounded ok for the 2 minutes that I used it for, but I will try mojo.

I plugged my iem’s into TT2 and the difference the mscaler and tt2 made was unreal, it was really good, but I didn’t think to try mojo since it couldn’t do 705/768 as it is limited to a max of 384khz.

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #4,535 of 18,610
To save others the expense I think it is worth repeating that all experiments to date with Hugo MScaler owners using split core ferrites on the dual BNC cables, whatever the number, have made the MScaler worse. I think I am right in saying that your experiments with ferrites have been with Dave and not with the Hugo MScaler. The HMS does seem to react differently to split core ferrites compared to Blu2.

I seem to recollect RW saying (but might have faulty memory) that extra external split core ferrites on the dual BNC cables for the Hugo Mscaler might be reacting with the onboard RF isolation and internal ferrites and hence the results that people have reported with split core (clip on) ferrites.

And just to say that I have found that really 20 solid core ferrites are needed to get a good result. The solid core ones are more effective than the split core so if the split core ones hadn't made it worse then more would likely have been needed anyway.

I also remember something about split core ferrites, ( the ones that open and close around a cable, wherever the user wants to put them ) making things worse instead of better.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #4,536 of 18,610
@Rob Watts I hate you, actually my wife, my kids, my neighbors, my boss hates you. I on the other hand love you. In fact if I batted for the other side I would happily be your bitch. Unfortunately i am otherwise inclined preferring the fairer sex. I do however love my HMS/DAVE combo to which i am eternally grateful.
To describe it is extremely difficult, but if i try i would say my system has been like a childs 9 piece jigsaw puzzle with the middle piece missing. HMS has tied this all together by becoming the missing middle piece. Thanks Rob and have a great Christmas Sir.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,539 of 18,610
How does the delay of the M Scalar work with videos? Will it be out of sync? (just read something about the delay just now so no idea how it works)

Bump.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #4,540 of 18,610
So how long does it take for the HSM to be delivered by the way.

I'm not going to pay full price for it now since all delivery dates that was promised have not been met.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,541 of 18,610

I'm not going to pay full price for it now since all delivery dates that was promised have not been met.
How do you find straight Chord compared with through Auralic Taurus MKII. I much prefer through the Auralic, its a great HP amp.

Sorry didn't respond to your question. Later than expected.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #4,542 of 18,610
How does the delay of the M Scalar work with videos? Will it be out of sync? (just read something about the delay just now so no idea how it works).

M Scaler has a video mode (lower latency) for videos = no lip sync issues, everything synced, sound still great: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-mscaler/
Full mode = 0.7s delay / no problem for music but may be an issue for movies/videos etc. (slightly out of sync).

It is area/dealer-specific. Ask your dealer. He should tell you the most accurate info.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #4,543 of 18,610
M Scaler has a video mode (lower latency) for videos = no lip sync issues, everything synced, sound still great: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-mscaler/
Full mode = 0.7s delay / no problem for music but may be an issue for movies/videos etc. (slightly out of sync).

It is area/dealer-specific. Ask your dealer. He should tell you the most accurate info.

Thank you for posting.

I was one person wondering how it would be. I thought I might have to remove the cable from M-Scaler to DAC if I was e.g. watching Youtube. However then, just now I remembered that there is a pass through mode on the M-Scaler. Meaning if any syncing issue arose, it would be no problem. Just pass signal through to DAC, which would stand alone be astonishing anyway.

I am actually way off the idea of getting an M-Scaler, but it's never far from my mind. (Although I think if I got a loaner of one, I guess I would not be able to resist.)

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,544 of 18,610
Thank you for posting.

I was one person wondering how it would be. I thought I might have to remove the cable from M-Scaler to DAC if I was e.g. watching Youtube. However then, just now I remembered that there is a pass through mode on the M-Scaler. Meaning if any syncing issue arose, it would be no problem. Just pass signal through to DAC, which would stand alone be astonishing anyway.

I am actually way off the idea of getting an M-Scaler, but it's never far from my mind. (Although I think if I got a loaner of one, I guess I would not be able to resist.)

You do not need to remove any cables, never:
- Pass through mode: The signal is passed to your DAC via the MScaler without any delay.
- Video mode (your choice - on/off/auto): The M Scaler improves the signal but the latency (delay) is lowered (compared to the full mode) so there are no lip sync issues when watching videos.
- Full mode (= "max. quality", best mode for pure music): The M Scaler improves the signal but the total 0.7s latency can cause lip sync issues when watching Youtube or other videos.

I would recommend the M Scaler to anyone owning a Chord DAC. The SQ improvement is really worth it.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4,545 of 18,610
You do not need to remove any cables, never:
- Pass through mode: The signal is passed to your DAC via the MScaler without any delay.
- Video mode (your choice - on/off/auto): The M Scaler improves the signal but the latency (delay) is lowered (compared to the full mode) so there are no lip sync issues when watching videos.
- Full mode (= "max. quality", best mode for pure music): The M Scaler improves the signal but the total 0.7s latency can cause lip sync issues when watching Youtube or other videos.

I would recommend the M Scaler to anyone owning a Chord DAC. The SQ improvement is really worth it.

Cool, thanks for taking the time to list the options.

Honestly, I think I would pass through on video, if lag could not be compensated. (Or maybe use video mode.) However any Chord DAC on its own would be sufficient to view TV. No worries all round really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back