Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 18, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #4,441 of 18,495
I've tried changing the lip sync on my 4 k Oled TV but no good, tried my sky Q for lip sync issues but still couldn't sort it so I need the video on, it sounds amazing so not really to bothered.
Get my Meze audio Empyrean headphones tomorrow so I'll be able to hear how good the M scaler and Hugo TT 2 really is, can't wait

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #4,442 of 18,495
I've tried changing the lip sync on my 4 k Oled TV but no good, tried my sky Q for lip sync issues but still couldn't sort it so I need the video on, it sounds amazing so not really to bothered.
Get my Meze audio Empyrean headphones tomorrow so I'll be able to hear how good the M scaler and Hugo TT 2 really is, can't wait

Most tvs only let you delay the audio, not the picture, so fiddling with the lip sync on the tv likely won’t help. You could take a shot at doing something that increased the video processing though, maybe that would slow the picture down a bit. But check your DVD/BkuRay player - some of them have negative lip sync.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #4,443 of 18,495

Bought the empyreans yesterday for my bedroom. Compared them for 3 hours with my utopias, both great, for some kinds of music I prefer the meze. You will have lots of fun with them, I am sure

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #4,445 of 18,495
BTW, it is possible to solve the delay for TV/cinema by using two separate devices: one exclusively for the picture part and one for the sound. You can e.g. play a Netlifx film on your TV without any sound (mute it completely) and play the same film at the same time from other device to your audio system with HMS included. This way you can sync the sound manually on the other device to match your TV picture.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #4,446 of 18,495
But I am also aware of reports of less than stellar performance improvements in some cases, and these interest me; I am just trying to bottom these out.

I’m not disputing those who heard small improvement from HMS but as a user of Hugo1 then DAVE and finally HMS, I’d like to offer some possible explanation.

From sound perspective, to me, there is no significant change in tonal balance by adding HMS, image size is also the same, so if you mainly look into that area you’ll hear no major difference.

Those who eagerly anticipate to hear what is added on the sound might be dissapointed, because at least for me, it is what being eliminated from the sound that is the star of the show here (tension and brightness)

I can also imagined people expecting too much of a jump by adding HMS. For as good as the improvement it brings, personally I only see it as a half point upgrade from my single DAVE, more like DAVE version 1.5 than DAVE 2.0.
For me the jump from HUGO1 to DAVE is higher than this HMS add on.

Last thing, while I believe those who frequent summit-fi on head-fi is highly sophisticated enthusiast and comfortable in setting up their own system, mistake can happen to everyone. So maybe when a person heard only marginal improvement, they set it up incorrectly, because as good as digital technology has become, the fact that digital chains usually consist of many components from various manufacture who were basically force to work together, mistake can happen at many point in the process.

How does the delay of the M Scalar work with videos? Will it be out of sync? (just read something about the delay just now so no idea how it works)

To give illustration about the lag I’ll take Youtube of Disturbed singing The Sound of Silence (official music video version) as example, around 1:00 mark, when David Draiman (the band’s vocalist) singing the lyric “within the sound...” the audio started just when he about to finish ‘within’ and half way before he finished saying “...of silence” (that mean ‘of sil...’) the audio kicks in.

Overall I estimate the lag is less than one spoken word, not that much really, BUT what annoying is the disconnect when you see the video showing closed lips while the audio showing the vocalist still shouting out loud.

Enganging video mode solve the lag problem while still sound amazing (some smoothness is gone in video mode, but I feel it’s still way better than single DAVE so I think I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it)

Happy Listening

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #4,448 of 18,495
I’m not disputing those who heard only small improvement from HMS but as a user of Hugo then DAVE and lastly HMS, I’d like to offer some possible explanation.

From sound perspective, to me, there is no significant change in tonal balance by adding HMS, image size is also the same, so if you mainly look into that area you’ll hear no major difference.

Those who eagerly anticipate to hear what is added by HMS on the sound also might be dissapointed, because at least for me, it is what is eliminated from the sound by HMS (namely tension and brightness) that is the star of the show here.

I can also imagined people expecting too much of a jump by adding HMS. For as good as the improvement it brings, I only see it as half point upgrade from my single DAVE, more like DAVE version 1.5 than full blown upgrade DAVE 2.0,

for Me the jump from HUGO to DAVE is higher than HMS add on.

Last thing, while I believe those who frequent summit-fi on head-fi is highly sophisticated enthusiast and comfortable in setting up their own system, mistake can happen to everyone. So maybe when a person heard only marginal improvement, they set it up incorrectly, because as good as digital technology has become, the fact that digital chains usually consist of many components from various manufacture who were basically force to work together, mistake can happen at many point in the process. I’m not technical enough to offer complete technical support, but I believe there are many here that are willing to help and have the knowledge to actually solved the problem.

Happy Listening

To give illustration about the lag I’ll take Youtube of Disturbed singing The Sound of Silence (official music video version) as example, around 1:00 mark, when David Draiman (the band’s vocalist) singing the lyric “within the sound...” the audio started just when he about to finish ‘within’ and half way before he finished saying “...of silence” (that mean ‘of sil...’) the audio kicks in.

Overall I estimate the lag is less than one spoken word, not that much really, BUT what annoying is the disconnect when you see the video showing closed lips while the audio showing the vocalist still shouting out loud.

Enganging video mode solve the lag problem while still sound amazing (some smoothness is gone in video mode, but I feel it’s still way better than single DAVE so I think I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it)
For me it's like the music has slowed down and I can clearly hear everything which sounds more natural and like you say no brightness

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #4,449 of 18,495

I'd recommend if you aren't already using an A/V sync video on Youtube and a A/V sync BluRay disc to set it. I've noticed all kinds of errors on some files. I am not sure if this is still a thing but many scenes (especially outdoor) in movies the audio is re-done in studio and inherently won't sync. Then there is a issue with film to digital cadence issue, not sure if it was overcome. If I find I'll post later.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,450 of 18,495
cadences 2:2:2:4 or cadence 2:3:3:2 or cadence 2:3:2:3. There are flags placed on the file but if the cadence changes the sync will be affected. Film is 1:1 so there's always going to be a sync issue with film vs. digital source. There are more knowledgeable people out there that can explain in more detail.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #4,451 of 18,495
got it. thanks seaice, zappa, mixx. funny thing i've never noticed it the delay.

these 1950's verve jazz recordings are what the mscaler was made for. pre dolby. that's where the magic lies imho. it wakes them up from cryogenic. instrument definition is spot on.

Related to recordings like 1950's Verve, I've found that acoustic instruments in general tend to glow and expand their space with the M Scaler feeding my DAVE.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #4,452 of 18,495
BTW, it is possible to solve the delay for TV/cinema by using two separate devices: one exclusively for the picture part and one for the sound. You can e.g. play a Netlifx film on your TV without any sound (mute it completely) and play the same film at the same time from other device to your audio system with HMS included. This way you can sync the sound manually on the other device to match your TV picture.

Are you suggesting that I press play on the audio element and exactly 0.7 seconds later I press play on the video file? :) Not sure my reflexes are that quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back