Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,456 of 18,436
Are you suggesting that I press play on the audio element and exactly 0.7 seconds later I press play on the video file? :) Not sure my reflexes are that quick.

Yes :) I tried it once personally and it is just a trial and error... If you are lucky, you can have a better sync with full 1M taps this way. But I am too lazy to do this regularly :) I usually play everything with full 1M taps from one source and I can usually live with the 0.7s delay if there are not many dialogues where the speaking people are in the picture at the same time. Of course, it is quite strange sometimes, especially if there many scenes with speaking people or a quick action with many sounds... I would recommend the TV mode then or try an independent second source for audio only for the full 1M taps experience...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #4,457 of 18,436
Actually, for the amount of telly / films watched I just put the telly output straight into Dave via optical. It is plenty good enough (IMO of course). But then I admit I am not getting the full sound quality for masterchef :wink:

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #4,460 of 18,436
Those who eagerly anticipate to hear what is added by HMS on the sound might be dissapointed, because at least for me, it is what eliminated from the sound (namely tension and brightness) that is the star of the show here.

Interesting. Perhaps quite different to what might be experienced from a change at the other end of the chain, with a change of HP or loudspeakers that can give a very obvious and immediate change in sound signature character?

It reminds me of when 1980's a dealer demo'd the Lynn Sondek LP12 turntable (although I was wanting to audition some speakers). My expectations were high, as the LP12 was a bit of a legend at the time. But initially I was quite underwhelmed - I was waiting to hear what was going to be added and there really wasn't anything that stood out. But when I stopped listening out for changes and sat back, I realised that my foot was tapping and I just wanted to get up and dance! Taught me a lesson that has stayed with me.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #4,461 of 18,436
Power Supply Comparison for Hugo M Scaler

Hi Everyone, I’d like to share some finding during my brief comparison of several power sources on the Hugo M Scaler

1. Poweradd Pilot Pro2.
I got this powerbank even before I bought my HMS with the hope that disconnecting it from the main line will make it sound more heavenly. That hope just goes out the windows as this battery actually sound little brighter & grainier than stock SMPS

2. iFi iPower 12V.
I have to put decent effort to get my hands on these popular smps adapter as it wasn’t available in my country. Soon I dream that by using it my HMS will perform way beyond those vanilla HMS owned by fellow Head-Fiers. My dream was crushed. iPower is powerless against stock smps as it increased the brightness a bit instead.

3. SMPS that came with it.
With a risk of going against popular wisdom, I’d say this is the best sounding power supply on this comparison, the least brightness of them all and thus you get the most natural sound

*Bonus 1: iPurifier 2 (dc barrel noise suppressor). Well, in my system it didn’t seem to purify anything, because it add a bit of brightness when plug into the SMPS’s barrel connector.

*Bonus 2: Nordost Qrt Qv2 (power conditioner). I plug this to the same distributor used by DAVE . This plug makes the bass a tad richer which could be pleasing on some record, but also adding brightness at the top, so i take it out immediately.

I got two thing from this exercise. First the stock smps is surprisingly good and I probably should stay with it and there’s no need to look for replacement.

But it also show that HMS is indeed responding to power supply change, so there is possibility that a better power supply will elevated it’s performance.

Other important thing I’d like to share is that I use 3 dedicated lines for this exercise with arrangement as follow:

Line 1: Power amp only
Line 2: DAVE only
Line 3: HMS and PC (on this line I also have my router and tv and other non-audio stuff)

Somehow this particular setup gives me very smooth sound that makes it easier for me to spot any added brightness. In comparison when my DAVE, HMS, & PC were all connected to the same line, I struggled to hear differences between power supplies.

I haven’t try every permutation, but I suspect there’s still gain to be had by having the correct grouping or separating across different dedicated line.

Please note that I own and bought every gear being mention above, I do this comparison honestly with no intention to disparage any brand above, when a gear is underperform, it is me as a customer who take the most hit, both to my wallet and a bit of my pride.

Happy Listening to all

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #4,462 of 18,436
Interesting. Perhaps quite different to what might be experienced from a change at the other end of the chain, with a change of HP or loudspeakers that can give a very obvious and immediate change in sound signature character?

It reminds me of when 1980's a dealer demo'd the Lynn Sondek LP12 turntable (although I was wanting to audition some speakers). My expectations were high, as the LP12 was a bit of a legend at the time. But initially I was quite underwhelmed - I was waiting to hear what was going to be added and there really wasn't anything that stood out. But when I stopped listening out for changes and sat back, I realised that my foot was tapping and I just wanted to get up and dance! Taught me a lesson that has stayed with me.
My Linn lp12 sondek blew my socks off as soon as I heard it! Life changing, Naim pre amps life changing but when I went from a nap 140 to two nap 135 s I was proper disappointed.
Think I got more turned on when the fans kicked in than the quality difference.
I say Naim pre amps life changing ya don't need one now with my beautiful hugo TT 2

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #4,469 of 18,436
Power Supply Comparison for Hugo M Scaler

Hi Everyone, I’d like to share some finding during my brief comparison of several power sources on the Hugo M Scaler

1. Poweradd Pilot Pro2.
I got this powerbank even before I bought my HMS with the hope that disconnecting it from the mainline will make it sound more heavenly. That hope just goes out the windows as this battery actually sound little brighter & grainier than stock SMPS

2. iFi iPower 12V.
I have to put decent effort to get my hands on these popular smps adapter as it wasn’t available in my country. My mind was filled with dream that by having it my HMS will perform way way beyond those HMS owned by fellow Head-Fiers. My dream was crushed. iPower is powerless against stock smps as it increased the brightness a bit.

3. SMPS that came with it.
With a risk of going against popular wisdom, I’d say this is the best sounding power supply on this comparison, the least brightness of them all and thus you get most natural presentation of sound

*Bonus 1: iPurifier 2 (dc barrel noise suppressor). Well, in my system it didn’t seem to purify anything, because it add a bit of brightness when plug into the SMPS’s barrel connector.

*Bonus 2: Nordost qrt qv2 (power conditioner). I plug this to the same distributor used by DAVE . This plug makes the bass a tad richer which could be pleasing on some record, but adding brightness at the top, so i take it out immediately.

I get two thing from this exercise. First the smps is surprisingly good and I probably should stay with it and don’t bother with replacement.

But it also show that HMS indeed responding to power supply change, so there is an opportunity that a better power supply will elevated it’s performance.

Other important thing I’d like to share is that I use 3 dedicated line for this exercise with arrangement as follow:

Line 1: Power amp only
Line 2: DAVE only
Line 3: HMS and PC (on this line I also have my router and tv and other non-audio stuff)

Somehow this particular setup gives me very smooth sound that makes it easier for me to spot any added brightness. In comparison when my DAVE, HMS, & PC were all connected to the same line, I struggled to hear differences between power supplys.

I haven’t try every permutation, but I suspect there’s still gain to be had by having the correct grouping or separating across different dedicated line.

Please note that I own and bought every gear being mention above, I do this comparison honestly with no intention to disparage any brand above, when a gear is underperform, it is me as a customer who take the most hit, a hit to my wallet and a bit on my pride.

Happy Listening to all

Thank you for the time (and expense) of all that. It just goes to show what can be injected into the Mscaler by a power supply and which then goes in to affect the Dave at the end of the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back