Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,731 of 18,493
At the Chord day event at Hifi lounge, Rob watts said save your money on a server and spend it on the dac and M scaler
of course robb would say that. But i agree I have unsubscribed as my server does more than a great job

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,733 of 18,493
There is zero RF interference with optical and that's why everyone here like Adrian is switching to optical. The only determining factors are whether your source is bit perfect and whether or not you need more than 192kHz sampling rate through optical.
The components in the server that send the messages across the optical connection I think can be hampered by different electrical issues.
Similarly receiving and decoding can cause more electrical spikes, as the electronics work harder more protons are cast off, they then get into the analogue section, and I think this is the interference that hides the microdetail.
So if you had a higher quality server, that sent a more reliable stream, the receiver would have to do less work in retry packets/lost packets, and so have more microdetail.
The medium of transport is not important in this aspect, but is a problem if it becomes like an antenna migrating rf from one device to another.
Ps, this is just stuff I’ve picked up from other threads.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,734 of 18,493
I challenge the best ear to differentiate between chromecast optical, imac optical and crazy price server optical.

In my experience, there’s a clear difference between internet streaming, local file playback and CD, but I don’t know why. I think Rob might have pointed out that even with optical connections, there are ways for the electrical signal to be polluted and adversely effect sound before it gets converted to optical. I suspect it might be some time before there’s genuine understanding about such matters, but in the meantime there are plenty of vendors who claim to have the solution.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,735 of 18,493
In my experience, there’s a clear difference between internet streaming, local file playback and CD, but I don’t know why. I think Rob might have pointed out that even with optical connections, there are ways for the electrical signal to be polluted and adversely effect sound before it gets converted to optical. I suspect it might be some time before there’s genuine understanding about such matters, but in the meantime there are plenty of vendors who claim to have the solution.
I did a blind test between my Wadia 861se and my iPad with original hugo,I say blind I blindfolded the Mrs and handcuffed her so she couldn't touch the controls and if anything the iPad and Hugo sounded far better.My Mrs hearing is unreal, my cats can't hear things she can.I can't go the toilet without the Mrs knocking on the door asking what I'm up too

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #2,736 of 18,493
Im not switching from USB, No RF in my system

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2,738 of 18,493
I did a blind test between my Wadia 861se and my iPad with original hugo,I say blind I blindfolded the Mrs and handcuffed her so she couldn't touch the controls and if anything the iPad and Hugo sounded far better.My Mrs hearing is unreal, my cats can't hear things she can

Eeeer...what can I say to such a testing process, in every sense - did the cats express the same preferences?

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,739 of 18,493
Rob stated as long as the optical source is bit perfect he cannot hear any difference. I for one subscribe to that and with my imac optical out to mscaler with roon bit perfect i have hit my zenith. My funds will be directed elsewhere like headphones where the sound quality improvement is immediately apparent instead of all this focusing on digital 1's and 0's.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #2,741 of 18,493
When it comes to IEM use, Mojo & Poly is > than Hugo 2 and MScaler.

Relic, I don’t know if you have mojo and poly, but sd card playback is astonishgly good, plus, mscaler would be useless for iem use. I would even go so far to say Hugo 2 gets beat by Mojo for sound when using iem’s, Hugo is too cold and sharp, too fatigueing, Mojo & Poly via direct sd card playback is probably as good as it gets, warmer sound and the power of the mscaler would be all but wasted on iem’s, but to the fact that they are nothing like headphones and are limited in what they can do by design.

Now, if it was headphones, mojo and poly don’t stand a chance against Hugo 2 on it’s own, let alone MScaler.

I’m sure Rob is just happy that people are loving his work regardless of what product it is.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,742 of 18,493
With the right iem however the mscaler/hugo2 could be mindblowing. An iem with incredibly fast transient response and 12-18 hybrid drivers. The mojo/poly just wouldn't possess the necessary detail and resolution only the mscaler could fill that gap. An example here is the U18t. With the iem headphone socket on TT2 coupled with the mscaler magnify what i've just said by 10. I want to try this.

1964ears-1487871334-tia_u18t_Product.png

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,743 of 18,493
When it comes to IEM use, Mojo & Poly is > than Hugo 2 and MScaler.

Relic, I don’t know if you have mojo and poly, but sd card playback is astonishgly good, plus, mscaler would be useless for iem use. I would even go so far to say Hugo 2 gets beat by Mojo for sound when using iem’s, Hugo is too cold and sharp, too fatigueing, Mojo & Poly via direct sd card playback is probably as good as it gets, warmer sound and the power of the mscaler would be all but wasted on iem’s, but to the fact that they are nothing like headphones and are limited in what they can do by design.

I’m sure Rob is just happy that people are loving his work regardless of what product it is.
I never thought the original hugo was cold or fatiguing at all, my sennheiser ie 800 was mind-blowing, don't think I've had such a buzz since, hence why I'm itching for the Atlas

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,744 of 18,493
How does ie800 compare to aeon Paul is the ie800 experience more of a buzz?

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,745 of 18,493
Sorry I have never tried it, but I think what he is describing is:
  1. connecting the poly and mojo together using the two usb cables
  2. once the mojo has 'woken up' the poly, disconnect the data cable from the mojo, and connect it instead to your other dac
The post by JF seems to suggest that you don't need the mojo, if you use a power supply to wake the poly up instead.
In that case you then connect the poly data output to your dac using a usb cable.

The cost is only two usb cables, so you could try both options, and see which you prefer.

Yes, you dont need mojo, just a usb cable plugged into poly to “charge” her, which in this case would be the wake up signal, and then using the female to male micro usb cable, connect poly to Hugo.

I tried to do it, I ordered the startech cables from amazon, but some wide boy tried it on, d day arrived and no cables, so I messaged asking What, he said he sent him, I said cool, show me proof of postage, then he went awol and amazon refunded me.

I went looking elsewhere and found the same startech cables on scan.co.uk and saw they were nearly £10 for one, and I decided for 20 quid, even though only one would of done was not worth it. By that time my enthusiasm for the experiment had waned and I bought other crap that I didnt need instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back