Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,686 of 18,518
I found the graphs purdy

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,687 of 18,518
I get that - what I mean is if you ramp it up to 'white' it will output the max KHz possible for the output / device you are using, whether that be 88.2 or 705.6 or whatever. For example, if you fed the MS 44.1 and took an optical out from the MS to an amplifier the MS would max out at 176.4 whether you set it to Blue or White (white being 'no improvement' over blue in this case, according to the table). So why bother having blue and green, just set it to white and forget about it?
I guess you're correct, if the connected DAC supports up to 192 kHz on its digital input. But the max sample rate is not determined by the connected DAC, in other words, the M Scaler does not intelligently adapts to the receiving DACs max sample rate. The max sample rate is determined by the limitations of the digital output of the M Scaler.
But if you had a DAC/receiver that would only support up to 88.2 kHz on its optical input, you would be forced to use the red or green setting, and you would not be able to playback any files higher than 88.2 kHz.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,688 of 18,518
The more I listen to music on my Hugo 2 and mscaler the more I love it. Simply magical music production with emotional depth that I can listen to for hours without fatigue...

My setup is

Roon PC, Chromecast Audio (Ethernet), Optical Toslink cable, M Scaler, Wave BNC cables and Audioquest adapter, Hugo 2 in Desktop Mode, HD800 headphones (Heimdall cabled).

I love this setup so much I am going to sell off the majority of my other equipment (except some portable gear). Bye bye ultrarendu (you added so much to my pre mscaler setup - I'll miss you), bye bye wireworld platinum USB cable (I won't be using USB anymore - optical upscaled by mscaler is better / more natural / less fatiguing than anything USB can offer thx - @musickid).

I won't miss DSD at all. M scaler plus 44.1 PCM red book is simply better than pretty much anything else to my ears. E.g. "Speaking of Sounds" from "Chairman of the board" by Count Basie - a late 1950s recording in 44.1 sounds better through mscaler than any DSD I have ever heard - better texture, better dynamics - just incredible.

I'm not going to talk about BNC cables except to say that I ended up purchasing a set of the Wave cables I got on trial - each to their own.

Adrian

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,689 of 18,518
The more I listen to music on my Hugo 2 and mscaler the more I love it.

My setup is

Roon PC, Chromecast Audio (Ethernet), Optical Toslink cable, M Scaler, Wave BNC cables and Audioquest adapter, Hugo 2 in Desktop Mode, HD800 headphones (Heimdall cabled).

I love this setup so much I am going to sell off the majority of my other equipment (except some portable gear). Bye bye ultrarendu (you added so much to my pre mscaler setup - I'll miss you), bye bye wireworld platinum USB cable (I won't be using USB anymore - optical upscaled by mscaler is better than anything you can offer).

I won't miss DSD at all. M scaler plus pcm red book is simply better to my ears.

Adrian
Great to hear reports like this, as need to consider a server and different thinks. Good to get first hand reports of what is now obsolete.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,690 of 18,518
Great to hear reports like this, as need to consider a server and different thinks. Good to get first hand reports of what is now obsolete.

Thanks. I can thoroughly recommend a Chromecast to any existing Roon users who are not using an optical connection to m scaler (I believe that Roon & Chromecast together may be better than Chromecast alone due to some custom coding in Roon). Roon now supports Chromecast as a supported network endpoint and it is one of the best value (£30 plus optical cable) upgrades I have ever made (I already use Roon). Plug it into an M Scaler via an optical cable and see if you like it as much as I did... If not you've lost £30!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #2,691 of 18,518
Thanks. I can thoroughly recommend a Chromecast to any existing Roon users who are not using an optical connection to m scaler. Roon now supports Chromecast as a supported network endpoint and it is one of the best value (£30 plus optical cable) upgrades I have ever made (I already use Roon). Plug it into an M Scaler via an optical cable and see if you like it as much as I did... If not you've lost £30!
Do you use a special toslink cable, or is it the one that comes with the M Scaler? Since you have found it worthwhile to spend a bit extra on BNC and HP cables, it would be reasonable to believe that you may have found some benefits in upgrading the optical connection as well?

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #2,692 of 18,518
Do you use a special toslink cable, or is it the one that comes with the M Scaler? Since you have found it worthwhile to spend a bit extra on BNC and HP cables, it would be reasonable to believe that you may have found some benefits in upgrading the optical connection as well?

I am lucky to have a QED Reference TOSLINK cable and haven't tried any others - I'll try the one that came with the mscaler later. I can't imagine that there will be much difference... But who knows?

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,693 of 18,518
I am lucky to have a QED Reference TOSLINK cable and haven't tried any others - I'll try the one that came with the mscaler later. I can't imagine that there will be much difference... But who knows?
I thought the cable has to be Toslink to mini Toslink 3.5?

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #2,694 of 18,518
I thought the cable has to be Toslink to mini Toslink 3.5?

Yes - good point. I use an Audioquest adapter. Many TOSLINK cables seem to come with mini TOSLINK adapters in the box - if not you'll need an adapter.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,695 of 18,518
The more I listen to music on my Hugo 2 and mscaler the more I love it.

My setup is

I love this setup so much I am going to sell off the majority of my other equipment (except some portable gear). Bye bye ultrarendu (you added so much to my pre mscaler setup - I'll miss you), bye bye wireworld platinum USB cable (I won't be using USB anymore - optical upscaled by mscaler is better / more natural than anything you can offer thx - @musickid).

I won't miss DSD at all. M scaler plus 44.1 PCM red book is simply better than pretty much anything else to my ears.

I'm not going to talk about BNC cables except to say that I ended up keeping a set of the Wave cables I got on trial - each to their own.

Adrian
Thank you for your impression.

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,698 of 18,518
Yeah, I never noticed it at first either, I went from dave to the text, but then I took another look and saw something big. I would hate to be the person who delivers or has to carry and put this into position. The first words that would come into my mind if I tried to lift it would be, What.
I bench press more on each side made, be a doddle to fit, just need someones cheque book

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,699 of 18,518
I bench press more on each side made, be a doddle to fit, just need someones cheque book

It won’t be my cheque book, because for some reason poor folk don’t get them :frowning2:

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,700 of 18,518
Yes - good point. I use an Audioquest adapter. Many TOSLINK cables seem to come with mini TOSLINK adapters in the box - if not you'll need an adapter.

Just be careful as many adapters out there have poor lenses that limit the bandwidth if you would be looking to get something like 24/192 over optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back