Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,386 of 18,549
Please site some examples of things that exist and cannot be scientifically or technically explained. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that RFI can be measured, otherwise we would not know that it exists. Please provide measurements of the RFI affecting your system.

A typically grumpy request - you might want to reconsider the tone of your posts. The problem is, that isn’t what I said. What I said is that because someone can’t provide a technical explanation, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. For example: I don’t know how a car ignition system works, but I do know that when I turn the ignition key, the car engine starts.

I can’t provide measurements of the RFI affecting my system, but I’m at a loss to understand why I need to do so. Are you suggesting that absent measurements, RFI can’t be affecting my system?

Just to be clear, assuming that you’re correct and that Rob’s designs successfully filter out any mains-borne FRI, and that the only affect a mains cable can have is in respect of RFI, it would seem to follow that all such designs will be unaffected by the mains cable used. That’s not been my experience, but I can’t explain why, only what my ears tell me.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #2,387 of 18,549
A typically grumpy request - you might want to reconsider the tone of your posts. The problem is, that isn’t what I said. What I said is that because someone can’t provide a technical explanation, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. For example: I don’t know how a car ignition system works, but I do know that when I turn the ignition key, the car engine starts.

I can’t provide measurements of the RFI affecting my system, but I’m at a loss to understand why I need to do so. Are you suggesting that absent measurements, RFI can’t be affecting my system?

Just to be clear, assuming that you’re correct and that Rob’s designs successfully filter out any mains-borne FRI, and that the only affect a mains cable can have is in respect of RFI, it would seem to follow that all such designs will be unaffected by the mains cable used. That’s not been my experience, but I can’t explain why, only what my ears tell me.

I did not mean to be grumpy. That was not my intention.

I could provide you with an entire technical manual explaining how your ignition works with measurable and repeatable stats.

RFI can certainly be influencing the sound that you hear. That is subjective. It is questionable as to whether you and others on this thread should make the presumption that the HMS or Dave are flawed because of RFI. All I am saying is that I believe it would be useful to be able to measure the RFI and not solely rely on a person’s subjective opinion.

I am the very happy owner of a HMS/Dave front end and revel in its sound quality. I would like to see the measurements that would explain to me why I’m not getting the maximum quality of sound based on other’s subjective opinions.

I do not mean to be antagonistic or grumpy. I would just like to be able to measure whether my system is performing at the best level possible. My ears tell me I have a pretty remarkable sounding system. I just get tired being constantly harangued by posters about how much beter my sound could be if I just added this or that to my system. Since the only value available to quantify this is a subjective one, why should I assume that what you hear is the same as what I hear. I think it would be helpful to those of us who enjoy our HMS/Dave straight out of the box if there was a separate thread just for tweakers.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,388 of 18,549

I could provide you with an entire technical manual explaining how your ignition works with measurable and repeatable stats.

RFI can certainly be influencing the sound that you hear. That is subjective. It is questionable as to whether you and others on this thread should make the presumption that the HMS or Dave are flawed because of RFI. All I am saying is that I believe it would be useful to be able to measure the RFI and not solely rely on a person’s subjective opinion.

I am the very happy owner of a HMS/Dave front end and revel in its sound quality. I would like to see the measurements that would explain to me why I’m not getting the maximum quality of sound based on other’s subjective opinions.

I do not mean to be antagonistic or grumpy. I would just like to be able to measure whether my system is performing at the best level possible. My ears tell me I have a pretty remarkable sounding system. I just get tired being constantly harangued by posters about how much beter my sound could be if I just added this or that to my system. Since the only value available to quantify this is a subjective one, why should I assume that what you hear is the same as what I hear. I think it would be helpful to those of us who enjoy our HMS/Dave straight out of the box if there was a separate thread just for tweakers.

Alternatively, you could, ya know, just ignore those posts since they don't interest/pertain to you.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,389 of 18,549

The reality is that HMS + Dave is a very remarkable system straight out of the box. You are right to be happy with the sound.

However if people wish to try and fine tune it to extract a little bit more sound quality them I would have thought that is a legitimate desire. I mean, even Rob Watts posted on here with more than a hint that there is room for optimising things.
Certainly not harshness and glare! That doesn't mean that optimising things can't make it a tad smoother though...

But really, as as has been suggested, if you are not interested in this aspect then just block anyone who raises these matters for discussion and you will have a quiet and stress free life.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,391 of 18,549
Then again if one spends xxx amount on the hardware and then if one then spends a little x by tweaking it and this results in a xxxx improvement in SQ then by logical deduction this would be the way forward. My new amphenol rf cables already make a nice improvement with my hms. Warm and detailed but effortless.

The mscaler designer Rob warns strongly against powering with LPS do not risk it. Void warranty and potentially harm sound quality. This verges on entering the realm of the crazy ones.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,393 of 18,549
My MScaler is inbound tonight. I cannot wait for it to arrive and for this website to either get optimised or more bandwidth added as at certain times of the day, using this site is like wading through thick soup.

Which incidentally is what I will be having for dinner tonight, along with my mscaler for dessert.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,394 of 18,549
My MScaler is inbound tonight. I cannot wait for it to arrive and for this website to either get optimised or more bandwidth added as at certain times of the day, using this site is like wading through thick soup.

Which incidentally I will be having for dinner tonight along with my mscaler for dessert.

Have fun.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,397 of 18,549
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,398 of 18,549
You have
Please site some examples of things that exist and cannot be scientifically or technically explained. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that RFI can be measured, otherwise we would not know that it exists. Please provide measurements of the RFI affecting your system.
When I was a program manager many of our products (communications security, encryption devices) needed testing for emi rfi Tempest UL etc these are expensive tests and use specialized labs with expensive equipment
The tests cost more than a Blu2/Dave! personally I'd rather buy 20 ferrites for $20 and use my ears to hear if the sound is smoother but not lacking detail than spend $20,000 to ensure I'm using the scientific method. May I ask you what test method and equipment Newton used when he detailed gravity? I think it was empirical observation with his 5 senses no expensive test equipment. I have yet to see gravity or centripetal force but I have observed their effects.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #2,399 of 18,549
Hey guys, I opened my mscaler box and this was inside.

Is this what everyone elses mscaler looks like ?

A06D3A7E-EC6A-4927-8F0D-FCB243A7FFBB.jpeg

Looks like I got mugged :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #2,400 of 18,549
Marc when you mention communications security and encryption devices i get a bit worried. Are you sure you were not actually working for the Stasi? We just do music here. Nothing else honest.:gun::telephone:Just music. I have nothing to do with Amberlamp's mug i've never seen it before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back