Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 20, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #13,666 of 18,534
Also, I do seem to remember earlier on in this forum, there was talk about the bypass switch not being the same as taking the Mscaler entirely out of the chain?? It sounds strange, but I am sure there were people saying they could not hear a difference in bypass mode but when they removed MScaler completely from the chain they could??
Yeah, I heard about this too. I think Golden mentioned that in one of his Dave or MScaler reviews. Had to do something with MScaler being Digital To Digital converter, reclocking the input, no matter what mode you had it in (bypass or upscample).

May 20, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #13,667 of 18,534
Yeah, I heard about this too. I think Golden mentioned that in one of his Dave or MScaler reviews. Had to do something with MScaler being Digital To Digital converter, reclocking the input, no matter what mode you had it in (bypass or upscample).
Ah, yes that would make perfect sense.

May 20, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #13,668 of 18,534
, if you can’t hear a difference don’t worry, you are lucky it will save you £3500’ obviously a little tongue in cheek, but there was a percentage of the audience that could not hear a difference. This all led me to believe that certain people are simply not sensitive to what the mscaler brings?
I can vouch for that.
Didn't manage to hear *any* difference despite faffing around with cables, ferrets, batteries and so on
Moving the speaker toe by a couple of mm I can tell easily, but not the MScaler effect under blind testing.
I've spoken to others who are the same.

May 20, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #13,669 of 18,534
Also, I do seem to remember earlier on in this forum, there was talk about the bypass switch not being the same as taking the Mscaler entirely out of the chain?? It sounds strange, but I am sure there were people saying they could not hear a difference in bypass mode but when they removed MScaler completely from the chain they could??
I hear a difference between the Mscaler in pass through mode and taking the Msclar completely out of the system.

(Mind you I also hear a difference between the Mscaler on pass through and full scaling.)

May 20, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #13,670 of 18,534
I hear a difference between the Mscaler in pass through mode and taking the Msclar completely out of the system.

(Mind you I also hear a difference between the Mscaler on pass through and full scaling.)
2nd that! (first part)
Taking Scaler out by connecting USB directly to the TT2 boosted dynamics, volume (at same level) was higher...i have no idea what's going on. Go figure.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #13,671 of 18,534
2nd that! (first part)
Taking Scaler out by connecting USB directly to the TT2 boosted dynamics, volume (at same level) was higher...i have no idea what's going on. Go figure.
Sorry, forgot to mention that you have to readjust the volume. The mscaler reduces the volume when it is in the system.

May 20, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #13,672 of 18,534
2nd that! (first part)
it is called "3db headroom" needed for m-scaler to be able to do its work(ref: Post #2,485 of 13,671)
with more volume of course everything will appear to have boosted dynamics, that's how our ears work.

I had removed M-Scaler for a few days two weeks ago, everything started sounding "more dynamic" and harsher at the same time, and then I had side effects from a 2nd vaccine shoot kick in... I couldn't listen to music almost at all, it sounded so unnatural, almost hurting my brain even more over a headache. Plugged M-Scaler back in and everything is fine. Music is back! Didn't cure the headache, but I could hear music again.
It will be different for you if you just got it, trying to A/B it,, etc. I had my M-Scaler for over 2 years, use it every day, both with headphones and with TT2 feeding speakers(no additional amp coloration) directly. While for some genres, bypass seem to do almost nothing, for others it is there, however subtle. In a long run, I listen to lots and lots of different music, it made a tremendous difference in my system.

May 20, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #13,673 of 18,534
2nd that! (first part)

I agree, There’s a definite boost in dynamics and a little more slam and snap connecting straight to the tt2. This is my only very very small and not enough for to stop using it all the time, gripe with the mscaler, is it does soften the edges a bit. I find this a problem with upscaling generally in lesser devices, roon and hq. Transients become softer and the music drums lose their crack and snap. It’s particularly bad in roon. I appreciate this might be a preference thing as well as music thing too, but with electronica and guitar music i definitely lose the visceral pace and quick decay. Fortunately the mscaler largely avoids this and it adds pace in other ways, but on occasion i sometimes find it a tad soft. Apologies for the heretical talk, my love really is undiminished :wink:

May 20, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #13,674 of 18,534
For me M Scaler makes transients better. Without HMS transients might feel sharper because sound is more harsh in comparison. It’s especially true with poor recorded amplified music. With good classical records improvement of transients is very obvious to me.

I always liked Rob’s approach to transients. Chord DACs does not feel like they are “kicking fast and strong”, instead I’ve got feeling that "nothing holds sound" and notes are appearing from nothing. It’s more natural feeling in my opinion.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #13,676 of 18,534
I totally accept this might just be down to my preferences and it’s only something I notice with electronica like it lm listening to as I type:

or crunchy indie guitar music like thurston Moore:

where I like my transients sharp, snappy, slamming and quick enough to turn on a sixpence. I can see or hear it’s not an issue with other genres and don’t get me wrong this is not a deal breaker as there so many other things the mscaler brings to this sort of music, like depth, nuance and detail.

May 21, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #13,677 of 18,534
This album with the Mscaler gains so much . . . . it is staggering. I love the texture of the notes.
Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 06.42.24.png

May 21, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #13,678 of 18,534
Hey there, does anybody know if there is a way to dim or shut down completely the lights on the m-scaler?

May 21, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #13,680 of 18,534

Users who are viewing this thread

Back