Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 3, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #13,441 of 18,615
The HMS-effect is subtle, but it’s there alright.

However good the TT2 is on its own, the HMS transforms it.

As I’ve posted before, I actually prefer listening to my HMS/TT2 over my Linn Klimax KDS/3 streamer. It’s that good.

May 3, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #13,442 of 18,615
One thing I can't put my finger on is when I have the MScaler engaged, it almost sounds like the music has slowed down and relaxed a bit. Even my own music, I wonder if the tempo is different from what I recorded. It's just one of those things I can't measure, but I do feel it. I'm willing to accept that it's placebo, but I have more faith in Rob and his WTA doing it's magic than my brain playing tricks on me.
I have had this "Phenomime" a few times (others have as well) normally after an upgrade.

First time with a Tours Power supply and recently when I grounded part of my HiFi with an external ground rod (yet to do the whole system) for a few minutes (dangerous and against NEC on my incoming power supply so purchasing a product to allow me to do this).

Oddly the phenomime of the slowing down lasts for a few seconds, the SQ improvement is still there...guess the brain adjusts...?

May 3, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #13,443 of 18,615
All the mscaler does for me is that it’s now easier to focus on quieter instruments and the like.

It’s all about the timing, does it magically make the music sound so much better ? No it does not, but it does allow folk to follow the music and instruments much easier.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t care as I’ve never really got to the bottom of what the mscaler is all about, hundreds of folk here say its magic and its an end game device, me, music sounds the same with or without it. No doubt some folk will say that the difference is like night and day, yeah, the difference is so big that it’s like night and day in the artic circle in summertime, where they get 24 hours of daylight each day.

Burp.

May 3, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #13,444 of 18,615
All the mscaler does for me is that it’s now easier to focus on quieter instruments and the like.

It’s all about the timing, does it magically make the music sound so much better ? No it does not, but it does allow folk to follow the music and instruments much easier.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t care as I’ve never really got to the bottom of what the mscaler is all about, hundreds of folk here say its magic and its an end game device, me, music sounds the same with or without it. No doubt some folk will say that the difference is like night and day, yeah, the difference is so big that it’s like night and day in the artic circle in summertime, where they get 24 hours of daylight each day.

Burp.
I guess it is system and user dependent. With my TT2 there was a significant reduction in soundstage when bypassed, whereas the effect is more subtle with my DAVE.

May 3, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #13,445 of 18,615
It may be that the M Scaler wall-wart power supply is faulty. IIRC another forum member had this problem, might be worth searching this thread. They couldn't discern a difference until they changed the power supply. If you bought your M Scaler from a second-hand shop, perhaps the original owner had the same problem, that's why they sold it? Reach out to Chord support, they are very helpful.
I've double-checked everything again.
MScaler power supply states 15V 4A
The MaxOak battery I'm using states at 12V 2.5A. Hmmm

Could it be that both the Scaler PSU and battery provide inadequate Amps for the Scaler to scale?
Could it be that all lights work as expected with the reduced max amps, yet it is not scaling?

May 3, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #13,446 of 18,615

Could it be that both the Scaler PSU and battery provide inadequate Amps for the Scaler to scale?
Could it be that all lights work as expected with the reduced max amps, yet it is not scaling?
Have you not tried it with the included power supply?

May 3, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #13,447 of 18,615
I never understood how it could upsample in frequency but not in tap length.

May 3, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #13,448 of 18,615

The scaler needs 13W ( post 965) . Just a little more that 1A.
My scaler works perfectly with the MaxOak but better When the PSU is not on the 220V.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #13,449 of 18,615
I've just spent some time with @JohnA1 playing with various configurations.

We tried a different power supply into his Qutest. I managed to detect a subtle difference but I wouldn't put money on reliably detecting a difference and I was of course trying to find the difference.

We tried my TT2 with his M-Scaler, both as a DAC and using the TT2's preamp, and I fully expected the same collapse of the soundstage that I get in my system but I really could not detect it.

It's possible that I am used to the sound in my system and therefore notice the difference when bypassed far more than in his system but I have to say that I wasn't detecting much, if any, improvement between the upscaled and bypassed sound. We spent a couple of hours doing this.

I was quite surprised. I expect that some of it might perhaps be that I am not used to the sound from his system but I did expect to hear at least some difference. I cannot say that I would reliably be able to pick out the upscaled sound, even using my TT2.

May 3, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #13,450 of 18,615
I've just spent some time with @JohnA1 playing with various configurations.

We tried a different power supply into his Qutest. I managed to detect a subtle difference but I wouldn't put money on reliably detecting a difference and I was of course trying to find the difference.

We tried my TT2 with his M-Scaler, both as a DAC and using the TT2's preamp, and I fully expected the same collapse of the soundstage that I get in my system but I really could not detect it.

It's possible that I am used to the sound in my system and therefore notice the difference when bypassed far more than in his system but I have to say that I wasn't detecting much, if any, improvement between the upscaled and bypassed sound. We spent a couple of hours doing this.

I was quite surprised. I expect that some of it might perhaps be that I am not used to the sound from his system but I did expect to hear at least some difference. I cannot say that I would reliably be able to pick out the upscaled sound, even using my TT2.

Good man, helping out...

How about now trying your M Scaler in his system? And if still nada, then have him listen to your M Scaler in your system and see if he immediately hears the difference as you do.

May 3, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #13,451 of 18,615

Could it be that all lights work as expected with the reduced max amps, yet it is not scaling

I've just spent some time with @JohnA1 playing with various confiurations.

Agree, good of you to help out...

Any chance it could be the cables out of the M Scaler?

May 3, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #13,453 of 18,615
Switching out the Mscaler looks like for comparison should help confirm whether the system is benefitting or not.
I've done this feeding the QuTest from both mscaler (CDplayer via Toslink) and CDplayer directly (via SPDIf).
Same signal from same source for both. No soundstage (or any other) difference.
I just don't get it..

May 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #13,455 of 18,615
Agree, good of you to help out...

Any chance it could be the cables out of the M Scaler?
I've just set my system up with the TT2 instead of my DAVE. It's a fine sound still.

Anyway, when I had previously been fully settled into the sound from the TT2 then I found the collapse of the soundstage obvious when bypassing the M-Scaler. After having got used to the DAVE I did find I had to listen a bit harder to detect the change at first. The more I listen the more I notice it though. If I listen for sounds from the edge of the soundstage then I can notice it become narrower when bypassed. I can quite easily hear the bass drum in 'Get Outside' by Robert Plant sounding more harsh and less realistic without the M-Scaler. I suspect that the effect is far more noticeable once you've settled into the upscaled sound but I am noticing differences and I'd keep the M-Scaler using the TT2 in my system.

@JohnA1 is welcome to pop over and try his M-Scaler here if he wants to do so.

I am using ATC SCM40A speakers which might be a bit different to his amplification and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back