Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 19, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #13,306 of 18,603
Anybody have recommended Redbook recordings that show off MScaler at its best?
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Deja Vu , Paul Simon's Graceland, Elton John Madman, Frank Zappa Hot Rats, Beach Boys Today

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #13,307 of 18,603
Well the recording I was thinking of is one that I only started to really enjoy via my Mscaler.

But it was actually recommened to me by the conductor himself, Esa Pekka Salonen.

Around 2006-2007 I think it was, Salonen came to Stockholm to conduct the Rite of Spring with his old orchestra the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and I was lucky to attend and photograph both the rehearsals and the concert.

This was around the time the majors like DGG and Decca where already beginning to abandon SACD and during an interval I asked Salonen if it was true that there would be no more SACDs from DGG?

But he responded:" No, I have just recorded the Rite of Spring with the LAPO and if you want to hear a recording made the way I hear it from my position on the stage you´ve got to hear it".

It actually turned out to be the last major SACD release from DGG.

When it was released I got the SACD.

But via my systems then, SACD player and small bookshelf speakers, BBC LS35As at that time, and also via my Sennheiser HD650 headphones , I actually found it too close recorded and bloated and blurry as a recording.

But sometime last year I pulled it out again and listened to the cd layer via Qutest/Mscaler and my HEKV2.

Still very close recorded but, WOW what a punch it kicked! And now with much improved clarity during all those dense loud busy parts.

And also via my now much bigger speakers capable of deeper better bass resproduction percussion was more impressive too.
Yes, I could feel the bass as Salonen had said.
And the LAPO play every note and rhytm of that complex score both with a precision and raw power I have not heard from any other recording I have of this work.

Salonen´s DGG Rite is coupled with two other blockbusters, Mussorgsky´s Night on the Bald Mountain in its orginal version, and Bartok´s stunning the Miraculous Mandarin.
My SACD copy is out of print. But the cd only version should still be available, and there is also a native 24/96 pcm download from several download sources.
Cheers CC
Great recommendation! Just bought the double layer SACD version used on Amazon. I keep an Oppo BDP-103 so I can rip SACD to my Roon server.

cheers
muski

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #13,309 of 18,603
Great recommendation! Just bought the double layer SACD version used on Amazon. I keep an Oppo BDP-103 so I can rip SACD to my Roon server.

cheers
muski
Out of curiosity how much did it sell for on Amazon? Some out of print SACDs are becoming collectors items like the Sheffield Labs direct cut LPs or original release Beatles LPs.
Anyway ,it might be interesting, to compare the SACD layer with the cd layer in your system.

The only such comparison I can make with this recording is via my old SACD player. And I actually prefer the cd layer via optical from a cheap NAD cd player and Qutest/Mscaler over the SACD.

Could be my old not quite SOTA SACD player, or as Rob claims, that cd via Mscaler sounds better than DSD64?
But in your case Roon might influence things too?

Also remember that the native recording format is a pcm 24/96 master so ideally one should play that over both cd and DSD layers with this recording.
DGG never released any native DSD recordings.

I also have the Fischer DSD64 RITE as download but both as recording and interpretation I still prefer Salon´s DGG cd layer over the DSD64.

I listened to Fischer´s via Mscaler last night and my memory take still stands ,a bit tame and not as exciting as the conductor´s perspective DGG gave Salonen.
Very good on its own terms. But a more typical midstalls take as almost always from Jared at Channel Classics.
The only exception I know of is when Fischer convinced Jared to mic the "filler" on the Rach 2 SACD also from a conductor´s podium perspective.
The big drum sounds like a distant thud in the Rite and in the DGG it hits you with full force at times.
But very nice bloom and also very well played.
For those who want to hear more of the raw shocking power of the Rite of Spring ,Salonen rules imho.
Cheers CC

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #13,310 of 18,603
Out of curiosity how much did it sell for on Amazon? Some out of print SACDs are becoming collectors items like the Sheffield Labs direct cut LPs or original release Beatles LPs.
Anyway ,it might be interesting, to compare the SACD layer with the cd layer in your system.

The only such comparison I can make with this recording is via my old SACD player. And I actually prefer the cd layer via optical from a cheap NAD cd player and Qutest/Mscaler over the SACD.

Could be my old not quite SOTA SACD player, or as Rob claims, that cd via Mscaler sounds better than DSD64?
But in your case Roon might influence things too?

Also remember that the native recording format is a pcm 24/96 master so ideally one should play that over both cd and DSD layers with this recording.
DGG never released any native DSD recordings.

I also have the Fischer DSD64 RITE as download but both as recording and interpretation I still prefer Salon´s DGG cd layer over the DSD64.

I listened to Fischer´s via Mscaler last night and my memory take still stands ,a bit tame and not as exciting as the conductor´s perspective DGG gave Salonen.
Very good on its own terms. But a more typical midstalls take as almost always from Jared at Channel Classics.
The only exception I know of is when Fischer convinced Jared to mic the "filler" on the Rach 2 SACD also from a conductor´s podium perspective.
The big drum sounds like a distant thud in the Rite and in the DGG it hits you with full force at times.
But very nice bloom and also very well played.
For those who want to hear more of the raw shocking power of the Rite of Spring ,Salonen rules imho.
Cheers CC
Just giving it a spin
1618929107728.png

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #13,311 of 18,603

Attachments

• 1E7435CC-41B2-4BBF-8C97-AA70BF8512ED.jpeg
    1E7435CC-41B2-4BBF-8C97-AA70BF8512ED.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #13,313 of 18,603
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #13,319 of 18,603
Apr 21, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #13,320 of 18,603
How big of a percentage difference do you think adding the M scaler makes?
My chain currently is:

PC playing Audirvana > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Hugo TT2 > AudioQuest Mackenzie RCA > Woo Audio WA33 > Danacable Lazuli > Hifiman HE1000se

Thinking of adding the M Scaler in, but not sure how big of a difference to expect. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back