Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #13,277 of 18,603
Anybody have recommended Redbook recordings that show off MScaler at its best?
I have mentioned before that I think the ā€œeasiestā€ way to hear transient accuracy that you get from 1 million taps is to listen to music/sounds with lots of transients like clapping, guitar string plucks, drum strikes.
I actually use the track Unsquare Dance from Further Time Out quite frequently as my reference test track for most systems to listen to their transient accuracy.
Some people who play the piano often can easily identify the improvement from M-Scaler (or Chord DACs) quite readily but Iā€™ve also known lots of piano players who canā€™t tell the difference. This is the reason why I donā€™t recommend piano music for most people even though some audiophile/piano players will tell you that itā€™s super easy to hear the difference with and without M-Scaler with piano music.
Ultimately, itā€™s how your ears are tuned because more and more, Iā€™m convinced that our ears (and brain) can ignore most audio distortions. Moreover, with bad recordings, we actually prefer euphonic distortions to mask the poor quality of the recording.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #13,278 of 18,603
For Roon users, what kind of delay is there when using HMS with max upsampling when 1) starting a song 2) changing a song 3) is there a gapless playback between songs when they finish on their own? Thanks!

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #13,279 of 18,603
For Roon users, what kind of delay is there when using HMS with max upsampling when 1) starting a song 2) changing a song 3) is there a gapless playback between songs when they finish on their own? Thanks!

Personally I have never had any problems with Roon and have had no delays. Others have, and it is well discussed in the Roon Forum.

Edit: It generally seems to be network or computer which can cause delays.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #13,280 of 18,603
There should be no delays from Roon and there is gapless playback.
the only audio delay comes from using 1 million taps because to upsample from 44.1kHz to 705.4kHz, it basically needs say 62500 samples per upsampled signal so you need the music from 31250 samples before and after which means thereā€™ll be a delay of 32150 / 44100 which is 0.729 seconds. Another way to put it is that every 24-bit signal at 705.4kHz comes from computation from the original 1.458 seconds of music at 44.1kHz.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #13,281 of 18,603
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #13,283 of 18,603
Maybe have to look elsewhere...

The arrangements of incoming supplies to the equipment;

Cable arrangements;

Space between the big and small transformers;

Clean all the contacts;

Etc... Everything about audiophile hygienes...

E.g. The sound will change everytime I lift the pre-amp up, move it a few mm to the left, right, front or back

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #13,284 of 18,603

Nirvana Unplugged in New York (Track 12 - Lake of Fire and listen for the attack and decay of the drums)
JS Bach: Music for Lute by Thomas Dunford (Track 1 - Suite No 1 for cello in G major, played on an archlute, so much acoustic detail you can hear the different string types)
Jerry Garcia & David Grisman (Track 5 - Russian Lullaby. More acoustic detail from both the guitar and the mandolin.)
Mozart, Weber & Du Puy: Bassoon Conertos (Tracks 1 -3, Mozart's Bassoon Concert. Somehow bassoons sound great through M Scaler)

The common theme is the increase in attack & decay detail. Anything struck or plucked: drums (esp. snare drums), guitars, banjos, lutes, harpsichords, etc. But must have been really well recorded. (Edit: strongly agree with ecwl)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #13,285 of 18,603
the only audio delay comes from using 1 million taps because to upsample from 44.1kHz to 705.4kHz, it basically needs say 62500 samples per upsampled signal so you need the music from 31250 samples before and after which means thereā€™ll be a delay of 32150 / 44100 which is 0.729 seconds. Another way to put it is that every 24-bit signal at 705.4kHz comes from computation from the original 1.458 seconds of music at 44.1kHz.

Ever since the latest version of roon came out, the search function is very slow for me and a couple of other ipad pro users. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s because of roons ios app or if itā€™s due to their server software. Searches used to be instant, but now they have a 5-10 seconds delay.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #13,286 of 18,603
Reading your post first thing on a Sunday morning has me confused, Iā€™ll blame it on the math. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #13,287 of 18,603
Searches used to be instant, but now they have a 5-10 seconds delay.
Same for me, had Roon Core on my NAS and search was literally 5+ seconds, so moved the Roon Core to my MacBook Air and the search time has improved significantly, but still slow compared to what it used to be (even on NAS). This issue is when Roon Client is iOS as well as Mac, weird.

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #13,288 of 18,603
I use the Poweroak K2.
There is a little difference when charging or not Because in my setup i use a mini smart rooter GL MT300N V2 powered on battery too.
The mini smart rooter ( 30 euro ) is connected by WIFI and with a little RJ45 to my streamer.
Before the rfi of my rooter could pass through the streamer to pollute the main.

The little difference when charging or not the poweroak is near the same that with or without video mode on.
No sibilance but a little less space between note. A little less details.

My conclusion now is that before the PSU of the scaler and the TT2 was the most polluted with the rfi generated by
1. the rooter of my house. 2. The Alimentation of my Hugo2.
3. The usb charger of my phone, of my wife, of my ipad , etc.

Now all the little equipments of my house are charging or in use with powerbanks. And the alimentation of the main powerbank is disconnected when i listen to music.
So Rob Watts is right when he designed the PSU because he canā€˜t known howmunch the 220V was polluted by the rfi in my house.
So Rob Watts is right when he said to remove the high frequency noise from the scaler and that this noise is little IF
your are save from other rfi.

I remember 5 years ago when I start with my Dave. Some days the sound was good and another days i dislike it. I do not understand why. Then came the blue 2 and the ferrites days. So i learn the sound with or without rfi.
After i remove the source of rfi and then i remove the ferrites. No ferrites on my BNC wireworld cable.
No rj45 converter to optical and optical to rj45. No wired switch (500 euro) between rooter and streamer.

The Poweroak k2 is very helpful but I do not understand why the Poweroak K2M is twice the price.

edit : The PowerOak K2M output 3A on 12V and 4 usb 2.1A. It could not be better for use it with the TT2 or scaler
The differences between the K2 and K2M version is, once turned on the k2m stays on, unlike the K2 model which will turn off after 30 seconds if there is nothing drawing power from it. As per your post, there is also a 0.5 amp increase for the 12v rail, from 2.5amps for the K2 and 3amps for the K2M.

However, a ā‚¬100 increase in price for the K2M version is fxd up.

I wonder if it would be worth buying a k2m for my nuc to see if there was any sonic benefits ?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #13,289 of 18,603

Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th ward*
Macy Gray - Stripped*
Nirvana unplugged
Eric Clapton unplugged
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
INXS - Kick
Concrete Blond - Walking in London, it has the end tune of the last episode of the tv series The Shield
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms & Dire Straits - Dire Straits & Dire Straits - Sultans of Swings
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi
Roger Waters - Amused to Death and The Proā€™s and Conā€™s of hitch hiking, both are concept albums.
The Cure - Mixed Up
The Essential ElectronicLight Orchestra
U2 - The Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby

Thats some of the things I like, Iā€™m maybe old fashioned when it comeā€™s to the albums listed above, but its the music I grew up with, however, nowadays alot of the music is just a noise, but I do like ice cube and snoop dogg and a whole host of other types of music.

* = Chesky Brothers Binaural 3D music specifically made for headphone listeners.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #13,290 of 18,603
Oh yes that is a stunner if one really likes percussion going wild!
That or some Indonesian Gamelan Music will easily reveal how good Mscaler is if youĀ“ve got a system that can cope with them.
Or why not StravinskyĀ“s Rite of Spring.
But I would also claim that in my experience ALL cds are notably improved by Mscaler.
Since getting my Mscaler I have bought over a hundred cds ,mostly second hand, and I did not even listen to cd nor buy any, for many years, before Mscaler.
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back