Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #10,186 of 18,495
Are the BNC stock cables that come with the Mscaler usable at all, or do they need to be replaced right away? After all the complaints about them, have Chord upgraded them on more recent Mscalers? I would rather try them first, to get a baseline of what better cables can do. I have a bunch of clip on ferrites in a drawer that I can add to them. I am picking up my Mscaler in the next few weeks.

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #10,187 of 18,495
Are the BNC stock cables that come with the Mscaler usable at all, or do they need to be replaced right away? After all the complaints about them, have Chord upgraded them on more recent Mscalers? I would rather try them first, to get a baseline of what better cables can do. I have a bunch of clip on ferrites in a drawer that I can add to them. I am picking up my Mscaler in the next few weeks.

They are definitely usable and the ferrites will be a fun experiment for you to see if you want to spend more money on upgraded cables.

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #10,188 of 18,495

I think by far the best thing is just to use the supplied BNC cables at first. They are not any sort of expensive construction but they don‘t need to be to get you going. Listen to your mscaler like that for a few weeks or months and enjoy it. That will let you form a base line in your mind for how it sounds for if you decide to try anything else.

Feb 25, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #10,189 of 18,495
Thats what i was talking about all along, great to see i am not alone in this assessment. Add Cx and hear what happends. Course there goes the thousands less
I'm with you on the Antipodes.The CX-EX cable connection is Electrically isolated so only carries the Audio signal for the purest cleanest signal.
There are a number improvements internally incased in a slab of aluminium.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #10,190 of 18,495
Hello Fellow Mscaler Owners, I got today a new chord m-scaler, connected to my existing Audiogd R2r-2 dac, using spdif out to coaxial input. Budget constraints prevented me to buy chord tt2 right now, wanted to test mscaler with my existing dac hence bought the m scaler first.
Back to my actual concern, after m-scaler in my chain, i am not able to listen to any difference , low,medium,high upsampling sounds same to me. Curious as to what is missing or doing wrong here.

To elaborate i have euphony running on an i7-laptop which is running via battery, -> MScaler(USB Input)- > AudioGD-R2R-2 (Coaxial input)-> LDR Preamp-> 2a3 Mono Amps->Openbaffle speakers.
I also notice a red light in DX-OP. which is consistent, do not understand what it means.
Suggestions please.

Rakesh.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #10,191 of 18,495
Hello Fellow Mscaler Owners, I got today a new chord m-scaler, connected to my existing Audiogd R2r-2 dac, using spdif out to coaxial input. Budget constraints prevented me to buy chord tt2 right now, wanted to test mscaler with my existing dac hence bought the m scaler first.
Back to my actual concern, after m-scaler in my chain, i am not able to listen to any difference , low,medium,high upsampling sounds same to me. Curious as to what is missing or doing wrong here.

To elaborate i have euphony running on an i7-laptop which is running via battery, -> MScaler(USB Input)- > AudioGD-R2R-2 (Coaxial input)-> LDR Preamp-> 2a3 Mono Amps->Openbaffle speakers.
I also notice a red light in DX-OP. which is consistent, do not understand what it means.
Suggestions please.

Rakesh.
You need to press the op-sr button on your remote until the third light on mscaler is white. It’s this that switches the tap length to 1 million taps.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #10,192 of 18,495
Feb 26, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #10,193 of 18,495

That light is showing the source resolution. Red = 44.1k, ie Redbook source

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #10,195 of 18,495
Hello,

has anyone experimented with power supplies for the MScaler?

I have a Sotm SPS 500 and I was tempted to try.. however I see that the MScaler works with 15v 4A and the SPS power output is at 12v max 5A or 19v max 3.3A.
Is it a bad idea?
Thanks

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #10,196 of 18,495
Hello,

has anyone experimented with power supplies for the MScaler?

I have a Sotm SPS 500 and I was tempted to try.. however I see that the MScaler works with 15v 4A and the SPS power output is at 12v max 5A or 19v max 3.3A.
Is it a bad idea?
Thanks

I am currently using a Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3 LPS 15v power supply to good effect with the Mscaler. I am also trialing a much cheaper medical grade 15v SMPS to quite good effect with the Mscaler.

Do not EVER use a supply with greater than 15v because you will blow the over voltage device in the Mscaler. I also suggest not trusting suppliers to tell the truth about the output voltage of their after market supplies, some are over voltage. Check them before use.

Better to use 12v (HMS works with 12v) rather than risk blowing your mscaler.

Many use a PowerAdd PilotPro2 battery on its 12v setting (its 16v would blow the Mscaler).

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #10,197 of 18,495
I agree, I also have an Opto-DX, connecting my Dave and my Blu 2. The 4 BNC cables matter, even the 2 on the Opto-DX transmitter. I use 4 x 1.2 metre Oyaide DB-510 BNC digital cables. The 1.2 metre digital cables allow more physical separation of the Dave and Blu 2. There is no need for batteries either. I use a Farad Super 3 power supply on the Opto-DX receiver and at the moment an ifi iPower on the Opto-DX transmitter, These are powered from separate circuits.

Have you tried using a battery in the RX (receive end) how does this compare with the Farad? Or is the Farad clearly better and more convenient. Did you try other power supplies with the Opto?

There seem to be a fair number of Opto users out there and not much collective knowledge, is there a discussion thread anywhere dedicated to the Opto? Or is this MScaler and the Dave thread it?

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #10,198 of 18,495
I am currently using a Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3 LPS 15v power supply to good effect with the Mscaler. I am also trialing a much cheaper medical grade 15v SMPS to quite good effect with the Mscaler.

Do not EVER use a supply with greater than 15v because you will blow the over voltage device in the Mscaler. I also suggest not trusting suppliers to tell the truth about the output voltage of their after market supplies, some are over voltage. Check them before use.

Better to use 12v (HMS works with 12v) rather than risk blowing your mscaler.

Many use a PowerAdd PilotPro2 battery on its 12v setting (its 16v would blow the Mscaler).

Thank you Nick for the fast reply! Sotm reports a 10% range for their specs so 12V should be the right choice.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #10,199 of 18,495
Actually when it turns to white, there is no sound output at all
ok, then its because coax cannot accept 1 786 khz signal, so you can only go to 386 i think.. anyhow, toggle that op-sr through the modes to see if the 3rd light changes, your dac receives a signal, and hopefully you hear something different.

Feb 26, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #10,200 of 18,495
ok, then its because coax cannot accept 1 786 khz signal, so you can only go to 386 i think.. anyhow, toggle that op-sr through the modes to see if the 3rd light changes, your dac receives a signal, and hopefully you hear something different.
I think that the coax will output 384 kHz for white but his audiogd dac only handles 192 kHz, hence he should use blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back