Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 29, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #6,916 of 18,533
I'd find it hard to justify the price of an expensive server, for file source. Especially when a small fan-less laptop will do, and be fully portable. I was looking at the Novafidelity X14 server/player, only because it was reasonably priced. However with a laptop you know what you're getting in terms of what it can do. Play any file resolution if the Media Centre will run it. Output in USB or optical if you shop for optical; (I would). Portable, Bluetooth, wifi,and internet ready. Simpler the better if you ask me.

May 29, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #6,917 of 18,533
Isn't she lovely.

upload_2019-5-30_1-37-50.jpeg

May 29, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #6,919 of 18,533
My silver unit is displaying the finished aluminium workings in a way the black can't. But black is nice too. It was a tough choice. Hopefully tt2 next to finish the project and headphones too. Ignore the colours it wasn't set up fully here. 705.6khz on h2 is great.

IMG_20180924_211426389.jpeg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #6,920 of 18,533
Meh i think shes sexier dressed in black.

I have to agree, once you go black you never go back.

I just wish we could disable the leds altogether, say for example a third push on the dim button on the remote, Bright, Dim, Disabled.

Maybe something to consider for future products that can be controlled by a remote with a dim button ? @Rob Watts @Mojo ideas

My brilliance shines through at times, so how about adding a third option for future desktop products, we cool ?

May 30, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #6,921 of 18,533
My silver unit is displaying the finished aluminium workings in a way the black can't. But black is nice too. It was a tough choice. Hopefully tt2 next to finish the project and headphones too. Ignore the colours it wasn't set up fully here. 705.6khz on h2 is great.

Did you see the photo of a Hugo 2 that some dude sanded it and made it have a dark silvery black colour, it looks cool as schiit, it was really nice.

If Chord sold them in that colour I think they would fly off the shelf on looks alone.

May 30, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #6,922 of 18,533
I have to agree, once you go black you never go back.

I just wish we could disable the leds altogether, say for example a third push on the dim button on the remote, Bright, Dim, Disabled.

Maybe something to consider for future products that can be controlled by a remote with a dim button ? @Rob Watts @Mojo ideas

My brilliance shines through at times, so how about adding a third option for future desktop products, we cool ?
Maybe passthrough activates should blink red to draw attention to current selection is sub optimal

May 30, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #6,923 of 18,533
Agree. I would like to hear the reasoning where any server, 10k or 100k € can even in theory sound any better than a 150€ USB to optical bridge. Server can sound worse ofc. Jitter shouldnt be any issue with recent technology, or is it?

I'd find it hard to justify the price of an expensive server, for file source. Especially when a small fan-less laptop will do, and be fully portable. I was looking at the Novafidelity X14 server/player, only because it was reasonably priced. However with a laptop you know what you're getting in terms of what it can do. Play any file resolution if the Media Centre will run it. Output in USB or optical if you shop for optical; (I would). Portable, Bluetooth, wifi,and internet ready. Simpler the better if you ask me.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #6,924 of 18,533
Agree. I would like to hear the reasoning where any server, 10k or 100k € can even in theory sound any better than a 150€ USB to optical bridge. Server can sound worse ofc. Jitter shouldnt be any issue with recent technology, or is it?
Simple answer have one to audition at home see how it sounds in your system for 30 days if unhappy return for refund.
This is given by most reputable hifi stores.

May 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #6,925 of 18,533
@

I’m sure it can but IMO it’s a misuse of money and technology. It like silencing a Mack truck so it can drive into your living room. why? Instead get a low cost server keep it as far away from your sound system as you can on a different electrical circuit, and spend proportionately less on a quality ethernetted low electrical noise endpoint/player/renderer into your DAC or MScaler. If you want to go a step further get a low noise switch to attach the end point/renderer/player to. (The upcoming UpTone EtherRegen looks pretty interesting in that space)

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #6,926 of 18,533
Maybe passthrough activates should blink red to draw attention to current selection is sub optimal

98% of the time I don't mind the lights being on, it's just when in the dark, whether listening or watching a movie with headphones on.

It's not a big deal, it would just be good to have the option to disable them altogether, as once you figure out what the lights all mean, you can easily use hms with the remote without needing to see the lights. I've had to resort to putting an old apple cck box in front of the mscaler.

As I said, it's no big deal, twas justa thought.

May 30, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #6,927 of 18,533
I do wish that all Chord dealers could be compelled - as part of their franchaise agreement - to have an HMS on their shop premises at all times and one available for loan. I don't know about elsewhere, but In Scotland, you need the patience of a saint and the cunning of Michael Corleone to hear the damn thing. Either they have one unit on permanent loan, or they have had one at some point but have sold it. Best of all one, one dealer barely knew what it was and said he had no plans to take it in. What's that all about ? Perhaps Colin Pratt could respond ? In addition, you badly need a proper dealer in Glasgow.

May 31, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #6,928 of 18,533
I do wish that all Chord dealers could be compelled - as part of their franchaise agreement - to have an HMS on their shop premises at all times and one available for loan. I don't know about elsewhere, but In Scotland, you need the patience of a saint and the cunning of Michael Corleone to hear the damn thing. Either they have one unit on permanent loan, or they have had one at some point but have sold it. Best of all one, one dealer barely knew what it was and said he had no plans to take it in. What's that all about ? Perhaps Colin Pratt could respond ? In addition, you badly need a proper dealer in Glasgow.

I use Robert Ritchie Hifi in Montrose, thats the nearest Chord dealer to me, 60 miles away. Before I accidentally stumbled across his store, I had to order in from Peter Tysons in Carlisle, Engerlund.

It's the other side of the country to Glasgow, but Robbie gave me cracking deal on my mscaler and tt2, and the service was great. When my MScaler arrived at his store, he drove 60 miles after his store closed to deliver it to me at 8pm, he then had another 60 miles to drive to get back home, plus he hooked me up with a cool as **** limited edition Chord Mug.

He has a website, but he doesn't do web sales, says he likes to speak to his customers personally when doing business, I've never been in his store, but I will pop down at some point.

I will be sending my future business his way fo sho.

May 31, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #6,929 of 18,533
FYI @ChordElectronics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back