Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 21, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #6,826 of 18,495
If I got that right, you're saying that the M-Scaler treats 48K signals as video. Then the M-Scaler reacts to that as video. Not sure what that means exactly. However my DAB radio runs at 48K.

With the first coloured ball on the left you can select whether Video Mode is On, Off or Automatic. If you have it on Automatic the Mscaler will automatically turn on Video mode (reduced tap length) when it detects a 48k signal. That is why I keep this turned to Off. I do run my DAB radio through the Mscaler and this together with my 48k music files is why I keep Video Mode 'Off' rather than automatic.

Hope this helps.

See the extract from the manual below.

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 13.11.52.png

May 21, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #6,827 of 18,495
That sounds like a plan. Can't help thinking that running the M-Scaler in pass-through mode might be the easiest way for vid though. There was one question left over that, which I think I asked before. Does the M-Scaler still operate pass-through mode when switched of? Meaning is there a passive pass through. I am guess not though now.

May 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #6,828 of 18,495
I just got these BNc cables after reading up quite a bit in this thread. They are a nice low cost option.

https://www.ramelectronics.net/BBP.aspx

They are a heavier cable with much more sturdy terminations than the stock cables. My immediate sound impressions are smoother, more depth, richer and perhaps a little more pinpoint in the sound stage.

Thanks to everyone for all the BNc Cable related info in this thread.

May 21, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #6,829 of 18,495
I just got these BNc cables after reading up quite a bit in this thread. They are a nice low cost option.
https://www.ramelectronics.net/BBP.aspx
They are a heavier cable with much more sturdy terminations than the stock cables. My immediate sound impressions are smoother, more depth, richer and perhaps a little more pinpoint in the sound stage.
Thanks to everyone for all the BNc Cable related info in this thread.

Without wishing to pour cold water on your purchase, that cable (Belden 1695A) is just the plenum (ie fire rated) version on the Belden 1694A cable which can be bought from Blue Jeans Cables and elsewhere made up with BNC to BNC connectors for less than $20 USD per 3ft length. It is a good quality cable and has good quality connectors but is unlikely to affect the sound by reducing RF noise.

May 21, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #6,830 of 18,495
Without wishing to pour cold water on your purchase, that cable (Belden 1695A) is just the plenum (ie fire rated) version on the Belden 1694A cable which can be bought from Blue Jeans Cables and elsewhere made up with BNC to BNC connectors for less than $20 USD per 3ft length. It is a good quality cable and has good quality connectors but is unlikely to affect the sound by reducing RF noise.

No problem at all. I appreciate the insight from someone more knowledgeable than me. At $40 per cable, I was pretty happy because buying a $1k Stream Cable was crossing my mind. Crazy that I could have gotten basically the same cable for ~$20.

May 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,831 of 18,495
No problem at all. I appreciate the insight from someone more knowledgeable than me. At $40 per cable, I was pretty happy because buying a $1k Stream Cable was crossing my mind. Crazy that I could have gotten basically the same cable for ~$20.

:joy:

May 21, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #6,832 of 18,495

I really do think you should get you’re own thread. Laughing at this guys post is a bit much.
That’s all these chord threads seem to be; wave high fidelity sales platform.
Maybe it always was this way, before I joined, a few users dominate.
Makes me sad in a way.
No offence.

May 22, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #6,833 of 18,495
Spheres: DTS Headphone X Binaural Audio (Original Score) Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein (Tidal/roon).

450x450bb.jpg

May 22, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #6,834 of 18,495
I really do think you should get you’re own thread. Laughing at this guys post is a bit much.
That’s all these chord threads seem to be; wave high fidelity sales platform.
Maybe it always was this way, before I joined, a few users dominate.
Makes me sad in a way.
No offence.

What you don’t know is that he and I have messaged as the misunderstanding was best dealt with ‘off air’ and he is completely cool with it.

May 22, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #6,835 of 18,495
To be fair to Triode User, I bought his Storm cables and they do make an appreciable difference. Yes, they're expensive but when you consider the cost of the M-Scaler / TT2 combo you'd be mad not to at least consider them - like so many high-end hifi products, it's almost expected that the buyer will upgrade cables / power supplies separately - my local dealer sells a mains cable and plug for £1,900 which I can't get my head around but someone will no doubt tell me is worth every penny.

I don't know if Triode sends out cables for audition but, if he does, I recommend giving them a listen.

May 22, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #6,837 of 18,495
Spheres: DTS Headphone X Binaural Audio (Original Score) Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein (Tidal/roon).

MK, Thanks for that, I was just about to get irritated that it is a specific DTS Headphone X Binaural Audio release but I looked it up on Qobuz and the 'normal' version is available in 24bit 96k and I am listening to it streamed now from Qobuz at that resolution. Thanks again.

May 22, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #6,838 of 18,495
That will still be a binaural recording on qobuz as it is on roon AFAIK. It's good for just relaxing and looking at pictures of neanderthals observing comets looking puzzled!! Quite spooky in the twilight hours. The left right panning is great on that recording.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #6,839 of 18,495
No, there is a specific Stereo version.

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 08.23.48.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back