Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #6,241 of 18,491
I am happy for you that you prefer the TT2. After all it does things that Dave does not do (power). Equally I am sure you will understand that I came to a different conclusion after trying them side by side for a few weeks. We have both used our ears to make decisions and that is the important fact rather than that we have bought just because of what someone else has said about them.
That's pretty much what I have been saying.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #6,242 of 18,491
That's pretty much what I have been saying.
we can argue endlessly which is ‘better’. But some people, who have had both, prefer the downgraded version. Then it’s coming down to a preference between transparency and perceived sound profile being preferable (warm or dark).
I think it’s really interesting and also an excellent position to prevent upgraditus, which stalks these forums.
I just got a pair of aeon flow closed, I’ve only listened a short time, but the perception of the drums is crazy good, it’s like your ear is just 10 cm above the kit.
Hd800s were/are good, but they’re not as involving.
The Hd800s cost twice as much. They’ll still have their place I’m sure, early days, just saying.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #6,243 of 18,491
Had he said 6 months ago, omg I was shocked and surprised at how badly TT2 performed against dave, what would of happened ? Alot of people would not of bought it.
But Rob did say that 6 months ago. I can't state the exact date, but it was not far from the introduction of TT2.
I mean the surprised at the gap part, not the shocked at the badly part, that he never said, not now or then.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #6,244 of 18,491
Sorry but you have badly misinterpreted my post which was:

"That was in the context of M scaler and TT2 against a lonely Dave on it's own. M scaled Dave beats M scaled TT2 hands down in every regard - and it was a surprise to me that the difference was so large - I was expecting TT2 to be a lot closer to Dave than it is."

I did not say I was shocked at TT2's performance - indeed as I write this in a Singapore hotel room I am using an M scaler/TT2 and it sounds extremely musical and transparent. If I thought TT2 was badly performing I would not be using one at all. Note also that my B&W 802's are driven by a TT2 at home. I had intended that TT2 would replace my linear power amp (until DX was perfected), and designed it to sound as transparent and as musical as possible, given the cost constraints. But I was surprised how big a difference that Dave makes; but it's twice the price of TT2, so it damn well should be substantially better. My surprise is one of technical understanding, as the transparency improvement does not come from the noise shaping, but the myriad of other factors that goes into a DAC design. When you are designing you make predictions as to the resultant SQ; and my prediction was that it would be a lot closer than it turned out to be. So intellectually I have been re-calibrating and researching on these other factors.

Rob, I’m sorry, I just act like a bitch when I can’t sleep because my feet and legs are on fire, nerve pain, it’s not an excuse, and I know TT2 was never intended to beat or even compare to dave. It was just the part about being shocked and surprised at how badly it performed when compared to dave.

I’m still overjoyed with my setup, which I’ve told you many times before, but I can’t help wonder, what would I of bought if I saw that post 6 months ago ?

Once again I’m sorry for being a bitch.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #6,245 of 18,491
Some of the posts questioning mscaler are also puzzling

I can find no instance where Dave alone sounds better than mscaler with Dave

It’s not about dark or smoother

It’s about transients.

Listen to some well recorded acoustic guitar and it’s very obvious what mscaler adds to Dave

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #6,246 of 18,491
But Rob did say that 6 months ago. I can't state the exact date, but it was not far from the introduction of TT2.
I mean the surprised at the gap part, not the shocked at the badly part, that he never said, not now or then.

Well, he is not exactly saying how surprised “how good it performed”, whats the opposite of good ?

Rob can and has, spoken for himself, no need for you or anyone else to speak on Rob’s behalf.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #6,247 of 18,491
Rob, I’m sorry, I just act like a bitch when I can’t sleep because my feet and legs are on fire, nerve pain, it’s not an excuse, and I know TT2 was never intended to beat or even compare to dave. It was just the part about being shocked and surprised at how badly it performed when compared to dave.

I’m still overjoyed with my setup, which I’ve told you many times before, but I can’t help wonder, what would I of bought if I saw that post 6 months ago ?

Once again I’m sorry for being a bitch.
You confuse the hell out of me sometimes. By this comment your saying, you don’t trust your own ears to judge which you prefer but you require Rob to tell you which he prefers.

Hang on isn’t that exactly what you’ve just been accusing Dave owners of requiring, the nod from Rob.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #6,248 of 18,491
You confuse the hell out of me sometimes. By this comment your saying, you don’t trust your own ears to judge which you prefer but you require Rob to tell you which he prefers.

Hang on isn’t that exactly what you’ve just been accusing Dave owners of requiring, the nod from Rob.

Choo choo, Rob’s army Rob’s army Rob’s army.

:upside_down:

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #6,249 of 18,491
Amber lamps seems to be in a troll mood

What ever.... why not enjoy life instead amberlamps.

In England there’s a saying discretion is the best part of valour

It means... if you feel pain have a stiff upper lip and bear it.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #6,252 of 18,491
Rob expected the TT2 lot closer to the Dave than it turned out to be. So we we can safely assume that imitially he intended it to perform much closer to the Dave.
I am not an electronic engineer, but a question arises why he stopped right there?
Why not revamp the design in certain parts to get closer to your initial idea of how the TT2 should have sounded?
Rob seems to be a designer who pours his heart into his devices, how come then that such a man is content with above sound quality?
The only answer I can think of is pressure from the management.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #6,253 of 18,491
Rob expected the TT2 lot closer to the Dave than it turned out to be. So we we can safely assume that imitially he intended it to perform much closer to the Dave.
I am not an electronic engineer, but a question arises why he stopped right there?
Why not revamp the design in certain parts to get closer to your initial idea of how the TT2 should have sounded?
Rob seems to be a designer who pours his heart into his devices, how come then that such a man is content with above sound quality?
The only answer I can think of is pressure from the management.

Rob has posted before now saying how he works and works a design until he personally is satisfied that he cannot do any more. Of course this is within the constraint of a target price for components and therefore an ultimate end price. If you are saying you would have maybe preferred a £5k TT2 instead of the £4k one that we have then that is a different matter but I am pretty sure that Rob will have done the best he can within the £4k price. That is just the way he works.

You suspect 'pressure from the management' but in things like this I always recall a favourite saying of my late father in law that "often there is less to situations than meets the eye". In other words you may well be reading far more into something than really exists.

What I say is of course conjecture but it is my take on things.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #6,255 of 18,491
Amber lamps seems to be in a troll mood

What ever.... why not enjoy life instead amberlamps.

In England there’s a saying discretion is the best part of valour

It means... if you feel pain have a stiff upper lip and bear it.

In scotland we have a saying, “What”.

It means “sunny with the prospect of showers in the afternoon”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back