1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414
416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425
Next

Last
  1. analogmusic
    Views on pop psychology are amusing

This a a place for serious audiophiles.

Anyway I use Dave as Dac only as I don’t like headphones....into a naim amplifier and dynaudio speakers

If I needed more power from Dave I would rather use more efficient headphone rather than downgrade to Hugo tt2

Or use a dedicated headphone amp

I would love nothing more than to save money and buy mscaler and tt2.... but Dave is the best to my humble ears.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  2. delirium
    interesting...i am going too check this out myself...

Amberlamps likes this.
  3. ZappaMan
    Becaus something is less expensive, it does not make it a downgrade. Especially in a world where the price of a product is not necessarily correlated to its cost of production.

Amberlamps likes this.
  4. ZappaMan
    I tend to recall that rob is more equivocal. So tt2 has better timing and timbre for example.

Amberlamps likes this.
  5. delirium
    No..it is not positive..its going too be like this next: 5 million taps,10 million taps,16 mil......its yust my guess!

Amberlamps likes this.
  6. tunes
    At this point the largest differential in SQ between the DAVE plus MSCALER and TT2 plus MSCALER may depend more on the transducer. So if you take the transparency of the DAVE down a notch, add a high end powerful quality speaker amp (not sure which one yet) to power Susvara, warmer and fuller sound may be had compared to driving say HEKV2 direct from ether DAVE or TT2 without the amp?

7. Rob Watts
    That was in the context of M scaler and TT2 against a lonely Dave on it's own. M scaled Dave beats M scaled TT2 hands down in every regard - and it was a surprise to me that the difference was so large - I was expecting TT2 to be a lot closer to Dave than it is.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  8. ZappaMan
    Yes that’s right rob :)

9. Triode User
    You've said that before and yet I still had to try it for myself. Having had TT2/HMS and Dave/HMS side by side for quite a while I am also surprised by the large gap between them. No wonder there don't seem to be any plans to replace Dave. It will be a hard act to beat and you are allowed to feel slightly smug that you got it so right. :smile:

10. Amberlamps
    Finally, we are all in agreement.

TT2 really is the better dac.

Edit.

Lol at all the dave owners liking your post, they really needed that reassurance.

You have just saved the nhs a fortune, cardiac arrest figures will now go back to whats normal for a wednesday morning.

Looks like we will have to think of another plan lad’s.

11. Triode User
    You are a wag (not the footballer version). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Amberlamps likes this.
  12. Amberlamps
    I was editing my post before I saw your message.

I have love for all dave owners.

Great bunch of guys, just like the TT2 & TT2+HMS owners

Anyway, now the fun and games are over, +22 H is loud.

Very loud.

13. tunes
    Rob still hasn’t addressed the difference in raw amplifier power between the two. What DAVE owners are dying to know is what amplifier (either a speaker amp or dedicated headphone amp) can be paired with the DAVE (used as a preamp) and a hard to drive headphone such as Hifiman SUSVARA to make up that power differential with minimal loss of transparency and noise floor so that DAVE plus MSCALER plus another amp is the best possible combination for SUSVARA and other inefficient headphones.

14. Whazzzup
    You might as well go for wire n gain, gsx mk2. Or gsx mini for se.

15. analogmusic
    Well it isn’t that complicated...

The Dac part is very tough to get right

Amplifiers.... not a chord monopoly on that...

I don’t think the slight drop in transparency using a headphone amps or speaker amps is such a major issue for me

First

Back
405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414
416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425
Next

Last