Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #5,521 of 18,495
Yeah, nearly everywhere that I looked at, they never had any stock left.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the one I’m meant to be getting tomorrow somehow becomes unavailable when it comes to buying/picking up.

I only want it so that I can use my phone or ipad to control it wirelessly and have a direct feed into my mscaler without my computer needing to be turned on. All I want is some quiet mscaler action at night time.

Try Ebay. There were quite a few UK sellers with stock last time I looked.

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,522 of 18,495
Try Ebay. There were quite a few UK sellers with stock last time I looked.

It’s cool, I’ve roped my bro’s wife into picking one up that I reserved at earlier, she is dropping it off tomorrow afternoon, hopefully its worth it.

As I’m trying to get mscaler and tt2 action without needing to have my pc on and, not needing to piss about plugging and unplugging a usb cable into either hms or tt2.

I just want a no wires solution between me in bed and hms & tt2 on a desk and, with my pc turned off and my phone or ipad streaming to it.

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,523 of 18,495
Question,

For those that have attended and may be attending CanJam. What should you take with you? I hear it's too noisy to audition open back properly, but should I bring my ETHER flow and Aeon anyway? I'm going to audition mScaler for first time.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #5,524 of 18,495
Question,

For those that have attended and may be attending CanJam. What should you take with you? I hear it's too noisy to audition open back properly, but should I bring my ETHER flow and Aeon anyway? I'm going to audition mScaler for first time.

I wouldn't plan on being able to adequately hear it, simply a terribly noisy environment to hear much of anything quite frankly. In that respect, you many not even want to bring your headphones.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #5,525 of 18,495
At RMAF, I listened to speakers the entire first day, but scouted CAMJAM for what I wanted to hear. The next morning, I got there 15 minutes before opening time and ran around to listen to all the open backs I could before the sound levels got crazy

Other than that, it was mainly about talking to the good people behind the tables and getting a taste of things to audition later. Noise levels were crazy

That being said, perhaps a suggestion to the CanJam folks is to designate the first 30 minutes of each hour as library time: nothing higher than a whisper. Second 30 minutes go crazy talking to everyone

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #5,526 of 18,495
It’s cool, I’ve roped my bro’s wife into picking one up that I reserved at earlier, she is dropping it off tomorrow afternoon, hopefully its worth it.

As I’m trying to get mscaler and tt2 action without needing to have my pc on and, not needing to piss about plugging and unplugging a usb cable into either hms or tt2.

I just want a no wires solution between me in bed and hms & tt2 on a desk and, with my pc turned off and my phone or ipad streaming to it.

That sounds like a plan.

I have my chromecast set up as a Roon endpoint so that it can either stream my ripped files or Qobuz. The iPhone is then just used to control Roon in the normal way.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #5,527 of 18,495
I wouldn't plan on being able to adequately hear it, simply a terribly noisy environment to hear much of anything quite frankly. In that respect, you many not even want to bring your headphones.

At RMAF, I listened to speakers the entire first day, but scouted CAMJAM for what I wanted to hear. The next morning, I got there 15 minutes before opening time and ran around to listen to all the open backs I could before the sound levels got crazy

Other than that, it was mainly about talking to the good people behind the tables and getting a taste of things to audition later. Noise levels were crazy

That being said, perhaps a suggestion to the CanJam folks is to designate the first 30 minutes of each hour as library time: nothing higher than a whisper. Second 30 minutes go crazy talking to everyone

This will be my first time attending so checking out the lay of the land may be a better goal, thanks!

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #5,528 of 18,495
That sounds like a plan.

I have my chromecast set up as a Roon endpoint so that it can either stream my ripped files or Qobuz. The iPhone is then just used to control Roon in the normal way.

As a Roon endpoint, the Chromecast isn’t using the RAAT protocol that a Roon ready endpoint would use. It also tops out at 96khz, which may not be much of a limitation. For all the time spent tweaking your system, have you tried a Roon ready endpoint and compared?

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #5,529 of 18,495
As a Roon endpoint, the Chromecast isn’t using the RAAT protocol that a Roon ready endpoint would use. It also tops out at 96khz, which may not be much of a limitation. For all the time spent tweaking your system, have you tried a Roon ready endpoint and compared?

Good point but I just use the chromecast audio in the kitchen so I wasn't too bothered about it being Roon Ready for the £30 it cost me.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #5,530 of 18,495
With my imac it clearly states next to RAAT "this mac". Bit perfect audio from roon to local outputs that local output being my imac.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #5,531 of 18,495

have you any suggestions for a decent Roon Ready endpoint, without any superfluous stuff like disc drives?

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #5,532 of 18,495
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #5,533 of 18,495
have you any suggestions for a decent Roon Ready endpoint, without any superfluous stuff like disc drives?
I picked up a used iPhone 6 for £100, can be roon end point. Can also store local music and play via Onkyo HF player. Then you can put phone in airplane mode.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #5,534 of 18,495

I did a lot of end point tests this past weekend. With HMS, the Chromecast Audio via optical was surprisingly good (battery powered). It is my new end point of choice for civilians and a no brainer at $30. Limited to 96kHz but great SQ and very stable.

If you’re more ambitious or want that little bit extra, I highly recommend a NUC 7CJYH woth 8GB running AudioLinux in RAM. Very special

Chromecast Audio (via optical to Robs DACs) is a gem. Snag one on eBay just to keep in the drawer

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #5,535 of 18,495
I did a lot of end point tests this past weekend. With HMS, the Chromecast Audio via optical was surprisingly good (battery powered). It is my new end point of choice for civilians and a no brainer at $30. Limited to 96kHz but great SQ and very stable.

If you’re more ambitious or want that little bit extra, I highly recommend a NUC 7CJYH woth 8GB running AudioLinux in RAM. Very special

Chromecast Audio (via optical to Robs DACs) is a gem. Snag one on eBay just to keep in the drawer

Very interesting as I just got the Chromecast Audio to try out. What battery where you using it with? Like any power bank or something else? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back