Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #5,326 of 18,438
I didn’t know certain dacs do volume passthrough.... but ke

is there a mobile phone app that can emulate physical remote controls ? I thought I saw that....

There is loads of apps that can emulate a remote control, your phone just needs to have a IR emitter, or in some cases, Bluetooth.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #5,328 of 18,438
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #5,329 of 18,438
Describing the mscaler as an expensive box when servers can cost double as much is really something. Describing the WTA algorithm as something that can be formulated in one lunch time break when it is actually the culmination of 30 years of dedicated work and research and the pinnacle of one's career is really something. Funnily enough these statements always seem to come from those who don't own the hardware being commented on. I noticed that trend by cross checking profiles everytime such comments are made. Please do go ahead and implement a new WTA algorithm if you can do it...then do it. That's really something.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #5,330 of 18,438
For Rob and everyone else who can help, @Rob Watts

On a more interesting point i understand the full benefits of a 1M tap interpolation filter and the principle of reconstructing an analogue signal to greater than 16 bit accuracy in real time. I am struggling however with understanding the benefits of upscaling to 705/768 kHz. Is this fully tied in with the physics concerning interpolation filters as i've read the human ear cannot hear beyond 192 kHz (if that) as it lies beyond the ultrasonic capability of human hearing? It would be great to get a real explanation and deeper understanding of this point as that can only be good for curious mscaler owners such as myself! many thanks again MK.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #5,331 of 18,438
Have you compared the effect of IsoRegen in your chain? I was looking at something like IsoRegen or SotM USBultra but have read impressions where USB signal cleaners are not necessary w/ the HMS.
Neither are in my chain at the moment as I am evaluating some gear (incl. headphones) and want to keep things as simple as possible for that, but I have both the ISO Regen and the SOtM tX-USBultra, and they both make a difference in my system of Zenith SE/M Scaler/DAVE. I prefer the more detailed and slightly leaner impact of the tX-U, especially when powered by a Paul Hynes SR4. I felt the extra warmth and punch of the IR was not needed with the Zenith SE.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #5,332 of 18,438
I wasn’t looking for a lecture, not going to implement anything ever concerning audio.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #5,333 of 18,438
I wasn't looking to give a lecture either. In fact it's not my place to even do so. But describing the mscaler which is a breakthrough device in the field of reproducing recorded audio as an expensive box without even listening to it....that's really something.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #5,334 of 18,438
Did anybody try xduoo x10t ( older discontinued version ) with m scaler ? It is a dedicated digital transport with some high quality clocking etc . I tried it's optical out with Hugo 2 and was pleasantly surprised with the improvement in depth perception it provided. Since it's discontinued I was rather lucky to get it at less than it's selling price .

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #5,335 of 18,438
Describing the mscaler as an expensive box when servers can cost double as much is really something. Describing the WTA algorithm as something that can be formulated in one lunch time break when it is actually the culmination of 30 years of dedicated work and research and the pinnacle of one's career is really something. Funnily enough these statements always seem to come from those who don't own the hardware being commented on. I noticed that trend by cross checking profiles everytime such comments are made. Please do go ahead and implement a new WTA algorithm if you can do it...then do it. That's really something.

So true. In some ways, it's misleading for people to judge the effectiveness or not of audio equipment that they NEVER have used.

Misleading, because you'll hear little truth about the effectiveness or not of specific audio equipment from people's abstract thoughts, rather than their real-world experiences.

Misleading, because many who would judge equipment without any use of the equipment would like you to believe their opinion has merit, even though that opinion rests on shaky ground.

That said, if the opinion were "hey, I don't like the look of Chord equipment with all the colored orb buttons" that's cool, since that's aesthetics not technology.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #5,337 of 18,438
Ah, then why are you spending time reading and posting in this thread?
Aren't there better things to do with time than read about audio equipment you do not want?
Jeez the chord police are out and heaven forbid someone posts here. Lets review where I'm coming from. First Im interested or i wouldn't read these threads from time to time. second a poster was talking about putting boxes in his chain, i posted that id not let a box in-between my server and dac, which is true. Then another poster asked what about Mscaler, I replied im not considering an expensive box for now. Then somehow this gets feathers ruffled. The mscaler is expensive regardless, sorry for not being an oligarchy of putin...no offence to anyone here that may be :) Whats going on here on chord threads?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #5,338 of 18,438
M Scaler?
MScaler can be considered as part of the DAC. What MScaler does is upscale to 705-768 KHz. All Chord DACs (starting on Mojo) already have an upscaler inside that does that, but those upscalers to 705-768 do not have 1Mtaps. That is why when MScaler is connected, the DAC equivalent upscaler is automatically disabled. So MScaler is really un upgrade to a DAC module, that replaces an internal module with an external higher performance module.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,339 of 18,438
Jeez the chord police are out and heaven forbid someone posts here. Lets review where I'm coming from. First Im interested or i wouldn't read these threads from time to time. second a poster was talking about putting boxes in his chain, i posted that id not let a box in-between my server and dac, which is true. Then another poster asked what about Mscaler, I replied im not considering an expensive box for now. Then somehow this gets feathers ruffled. The mscaler is expensive regardless, sorry for not being an oligarchy of putin...no offence to anyone here that may be :) Whats going on here on chord threads?

Actually, no "heaven forbid" from me. Post as much as you want. Nothing wrong with that.

However, and this is an existential question, truly: Why would someone spend time looking into any subject/topic/gizmo (not just audio) that they have no real interest in?

Dave, who does agree that if you don't have one of the four prime Chord DACs that take dual BNC input from the HMS then buying the HMS would be money ill-spent but if you do own one of those four DACs like the DAVE which I own then the musical pleasures from the HMS addition are increased almost beyond words.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #5,340 of 18,438
Actually, no "heaven forbid" from me. Post as much as you want. Nothing wrong with that.

However, and this is an existential question, truly: Why would someone spend time looking into any subject/topic/gizmo (not just audio) that they have no real interest in?

Dave, who does agree that if you don't have one of the four prime Chord DACs that take dual BNC input from the HMS then buying the HMS would be money ill-spent but if you do own one of those four DACs like the DAVE which I own then the musical pleasures from the HMS addition are increased almost beyond words.
Oh I see a hypothetical, well id have no idea why one would post in a thread if they had no interest in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back